cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards to Points switch implications

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If a subscriber has a $ 34.00 plan, and is getting $ 7.00 in Rewards per month for loyalty and AutoPay (no referrals), that's $ 84.00 a year.  Switching to Points, they will now get 10 per year for loyalty, and 20.4 for 5% back from their payments - 30.4 per year, a difference of ~$ 54.00. Since it is not as good a deal anymore, and numerous individuals have commented that they don't use all their data, the person may decide to downgrade their plan, when possible. So they switch to a $ 29.00 plan, paying $ 60.00 a year less, so PM just lost the gain. BUT, also, the customer now has more incentive to switch providers, and less incentive to refer people. Add into this, if PM has to pay $ 120.00+ for each complaint, that's equivalent to 1+ year's worth of revenue difference they would get.

I am waiting to see if I get one point for each month with PM when the switch occurs. If I do, it will be cost-effective to stay for a while, but, if I lose referrals, then I will see what options are available at the time.

13 REPLIES 13

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

The majority of us would not want the bonus data to be used before the core plan data. Why would we? Your unused core plan data is lost every cycle, whereas the bonus data is valid for almost 5 months. The only time you might want the bonus data used first is on the final couple weeks of the bonus data (right before it expires), if your billing cycle is after. 

dubba91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry, Mayor. I mentioned this in my post but you ignored it. That bonus is totally bogus to me because it requires that I use up any existing data first. It is useless. Nothing. Just a ruse. Totally a lie.  A deception that assumes your customers are idiots. Your cost of grandfathering in old accounts to keep the old system of rewards, is zero. The price increases should apply to only new accounts.  I hope that is clear enough.  It's just a money grab.

hi @dubba91 your loyalty data has a 150 days expiration, not 45.

dubba91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is very confusing. Of course, that is probably intentional. Too many merchants are purposely doing that to simply raise prices. Currently I have a $25/mo. plan. That plan seems to no longer be offered to new subscribers. Unltd CDN talk and international text and 1 GB of data.  The 1 gig of data is plenty for me as I have wifi nearly everywhere I go and my old tablet (which takes a sim) switches to wifi when it is available, which is nearly always, for data. The 1 GB of data each month is plenty since I use wifi at home, at work and most places I shop. I really only need data for the ~1 hour I walk each night but, even for that, if I walk at the right time, my FM radio app gives me the program I don't want to miss without using any data - it's just an FM radio at that point. (It also helps to keep me on a regular exercise schedule and I need that help.) PM periodically gives me extra data which mostly just has piled up with no expiration data.

PM recently sent me 30GB, I think,  more data but the offer was completely bogus. It expires in, I think, 45 days and all my other data needs to be emptied before it will kick in. So, it is just a trick so PM can say it is giving me something at the same time forcing me to switch from rewards to points. Under the old plan I received $5 off for 5 years loyalty and I think $2 off for having posted an auto-pay credit card. So, I pay $18.00/month. Under the points scheme, I will pay $25/month I assume. That will give me 2.5 points each month,  or maybe only 2. My bill will then be $22.50/month (excluding taxes). So, that will be a 25% increase (!!!!).  Am I getting this correct? Maybe I will get another 1 point each month for the auto-pay.  It seems the longevity discount will disappear. It's just a money grab from Telus. I also get my wifi from Telus. They are often completely incompetent when it comes to billing. I balked at my last wifi contract renewal, asked for a supervisor, threatened to go elsewhere and, after months of such nonsense, Telus upgraded me to fibre optic and my bill only went up $5/month. Of course, it took them 12 different contracts before, after offering that, for them to get that correct in the contracts they sent me. If we all send letters to the CRTC  with a CC to the Pres. of Telus complaining about the forced 25% increase, they would probably bring back the $1 off/per month (1 point) for the longevity discount. Do it , folks! It will very probably work. As for switching plans. I will do everything I can to stay with my current plan. It works fine for me.  If I got anything incorrectly in the above, please let me know in this thread. If some other provider is cheaper, let us all know that to, please.

@optimistic123 wrote:

It seems to me my $5/ month loyalty points for 5 years of loyalty are going to disappear when I'm forced to move to the new program.

Have I got that right?

That deal was keeping me loyal... I feel free to look to other providers now.

Yes, that's right. The $5 that you get over 30 days will be replaced by 10 points once a year.  That's a loss of $50 a year.

optimistic123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It seems to me my $5/ month loyalty points for 5 years of loyalty are going to disappear when I'm forced to move to the new program.

Have I got that right?

That deal was keeping me loyal... I feel free to look to other providers now.

HI @colleeno 

don't know.  mixed message.  you have to migrate to know

colleeno

@marcnoel wrote:

I am waiting to see if I get one point for each month with PM when the switch occurs. 

I have seen it recently stated in this Community that the loyalty bonus for migration to the Points rewards  (1 point per month for the length of time you’ve been a PM subscriber) is no longer available.

HI @marcnoel 

it is true.  But all rewards system "upgrade" is like that  😞

marcnoel

Referrals aren't the problem.  It's the difference between $ 84.00 a year for AutoPay and Loyalty through Rewards, vs. $ 30.4 through Points.  As someone else pointed out, it may be that, even with the reduction in perks, PM may still have the best deal(s).  We'll see...

Fizz is currently offering 20 GB a month for $ 14.50 for six months (half-price), PLUS, the data rolls over for two months, so, if you use 1 GB, next month, you have access to 39.  Use 1 GB that month, the next month, you have access to 58.  You could potentially start every month from 3 on with 60 GB, if you don't use up all of the oldest month's data.  Another spectacular perk is being able to gift someone data, if they've run out, if you can believe it.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Referring people is pretty much the same. 1 point per month per referral vs $1. The only difference is you have to accumulate at least 15 points before redeeming for an account credit, and you have to do it manually.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@marcnoel 

make sure you do your due diligence before going elsewhere. I've done a bit of that myself and think that even with reduction in account benefits, PM is still the best value of all the 3rd tier providers. Only you can decide what's best for you.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@marcnoel  So now instead they want to only give your a measly 5% of your plan price $1.70 in points every 30 days and 10 points each year . So basically charge you extra $5.30 every 30 days . And worst part is now you have to wait u til you have 15 points to redeem $15 off your bill basically taken away 2 free months a year from you . And they want you to believe this is better  for you somehow . If you don’t have friend refferals it’s worth checking out other options that will cost you less 

Need Help? Let's chat.