Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,468 REPLIES 5,468

MintBerry
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Someone was asking for updates from those with complaints:

PM didn't respond to the rejection of the objection and I just got an email from CCTS they've decided to move my case to the next stage and a complaints resolution officer will be in touch shortly.

I don't think lack of updates is that a bunch of us are getting defeats, it's because PM is not working with CCTS and everything is being pushed to the next stage and PM is given more time to delay/not respond.  

EdN
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My home cable Internet is 100 mbps and I rarely have buffering issues (iptv, computer, Wi-Fi, VoIP)

What do folks do on their phones that require 250mbps?

@G_Pomzz wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman  you definitely have a legal argument. It's all in the wording of PM's statement. When you go to court you will definitely win. PM will have to give you the 240 GB. And to anyone else who changed to a lower priced plan. And your legal fees shouldn't be more than about $5,000 🤣🤣

I think you may be confused about the process. Filing a claim with the CCTS doesn't cost anything. No lawyers or legal fees required.

G_Pomzz

@Chalupa_Batman  you definitely have a legal argument. It's all in the wording of PM's statement. When you go to court you will definitely win. PM will have to give you the 240 GB. And to anyone else who changed to a lower priced plan. And your legal fees shouldn't be more than about $5,000 🤣🤣

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@EdN - 5G is 250mbps, good for home internet for cheaper than Telus rural internet. Canada-US plans have no unlimited 512kbps data but Canada wide 5G plans do.

4G has 100mbps, good for vans and grandparents on Facebook. No unlimited data for 4G LTE plans here. So data will stop once you reach the limit of your plan + add ons.

EdN

$5 more for an extra 30GB you don't need is not a bargain, and i wonder what benefit 5G has over 4G (4G is plenty fast)

HI @Chalupa_Batman i think including the 150 days bonus in the  the complaint is not necessary.  PM has clearly said the condition for the bonus.  Bonus is bonus, those Government agency has no say and won't do much just because PM's marketing department is not doing a good jo.  LoL

EdN

I'm not interested in the fails (been there done that). I want to hear about the successful complaints, what the CCTS did, what Public Mobile did.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman , I am trying to figure this out.  You knew you would lose the data if you went to a lower plan, switch to a lower plan and are surprised/mad the data is gone?

Hey @ShawnC13 

I am not surprised or mad. 🙂 And yes, I knew, according to their forum information, I would lose the data. That sir, isn't the point. The point is they are extorting everyone to pay the equivalent of the plan they had at the time the "gift" was given or higher to keep the "loyalty" data. If customers lower the plan in value, they lose the "gift" they were given. I'm not sure they can legally do that. Hence the reason I'm asking the CCTS to look into this. 

Public Mobile, gave me 240GB of data for my "continued loyalty" to their company, not because of the plan I was on, but my loyalty. Since my account is still active, my loyalty continues. Telling me I have to pay the same amount or more is no longer in line with their "Loyalty" text. It's now about financial gain. I believe the CCTS may have concern with that. 

I hope this helps clear things up. 🙂 

HI @EdN 

check back, there were some confirmed rejected cases and cases closed.  I don't think too many are willing to come back confirm defeated.

EdN

Anyone care to comment on their success with their CCTS complaint?  What did Public Mobile respond with?  Are they backing down on the migration or did they buy you out?

El_Gato
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kb_mv wrote:

I see the $29 plan is back up to 20GB, 4G.

Yes but so close ---just $5 more to the $34 50GB 5G plan ------

ATHENS

Just in case we forgot the earlier reply to a common question that seems to be repeating itself. Will cut and paste below.

No, you won’t lose any leftover rewards from the old program. Any credits earned up to May 2024 will remain on your account and be applied to your future bills.

ATHENS

Don’t get mad now but it appears- at least to me - that you feel that your know so much better than PM marketing team. Who knows maybe you do know better and they should hire you.  Ha ha 😆 

SeniorCitizen

Well super sleuth. 
1. Am I @Wolfcore ……no.  
2. Not interested in following your saga. 
3. This thread has gone totally off course with the hope of an abundant amount of non relevant posts to gain community points.
4. Suggest to close this thread. 
5. Posts of protest and customer dissatisfaction should be directed to the messenger, PM and Telus. 

RetiredGuy1

Yeah, if there is a fair deal of discussion regarding communications from PM then it should tell the PM team something. Namely, no matter how good their intentions, they just don’t appear to be connecting in an effective manner. 

eyes

Hi. Noticed that we all continuously advise PM how they should be marketing and how they should be doing this and that right down to their web page and communication structure. Hey maybe we should be charging them a consulting fee for all this how to advise.

PS You guys realize I’m joking - right?

mikasik2

Extortion! 

eyes

Yes I voluntarily switched to the point system and they gave me 5 points extra and still have my bonus data —— I have disabled auto renew but just noticed that if the account is not continuously active it may lose the data gift. Man they are getting smarter.

RetiredGuy1

I wouldn’t necessarily use “text” and “clearly” in the same sentence when describing the effectiveness of PM communications. The text was structured to introduce changes to the rewards program and their impact and then included the link to learn more. Below the link they introduce the bonus data and only state it will be added by March 30, “as long as your account stays active”.

PM could have structured the text in either of two ways to be more clear. First, include the concept of the bonus data immediately following the introduction of the rewards program changes and their impact and then end the text with the link. Or, be upfront within the text and add the qualifiers “you switch to a plan of lower value” and “or you switch to an incompatible plan” immediately after “as long as your account stays active”.

It begs the question if they are just ineffective at communicating or they knew exactly what they were doing by not being clear and upfront.

@hkjhkj wrote:

The issue is that pm violated the code of conduct by doing something that isn't explicitly mentioned in the email and text notifications. Whre exactly does it say in the text that the bouns data will become invalid when downgrading? If there are additional T&Cs (i.e. fine prints), they have the obligation to state  that clearly when communicating to the customers. But they did not. 

If they don't have fine prints mentioned in there notifications, then there will be no fine prints.  

@hkjhkj 

the text has a link to the T&Cs T&Cs (i.e. fine prints) that you are talking about

The text clearly asked the subscriber to visit https://msg.publicmobile.ca/adb9  On that page, there is a Bonus Data Details and have the answer to your question:

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

It's in the Bonus Data Details @hkjhkj :

"Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan."

However I still agree with the assertion that it is equivalent to extortion and a ridiculously poor policy on public mobiles part.

@Chalupa_Batman , I am trying to figure this out.  You knew you would lose the data if you went to a lower plan, switch to a lower plan and are surprised/mad the data is gone?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I encourage EVERYONE to follow my lead and file a secondary complaint with the CCTS as I have.

Hello Public Mobile.

As per the rules of the CCTS, I must reach out to you and inform you that I fully disagree with your rules over the 240GB "Loyalty" data that was given to us for being loyal customers. As you can see by the first screenshot in the second paragraph you state, "To thank you for your continued loyalty, we're giving you a special bonus. Enjoy 240GB bonus data for 150 days on us. Bonus data will be added to your account by March 30th 2024, as long as your account is active." There are no other text messages after that.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1714004609320.png

Today, I lowered my my plan from the $35 a month to the $15 a month plan. My account is still active and it has not been 150 days. 

As I have done some research on your forum, I direct you to your link here.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points

This was under the heading, Bonus Data Details.

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

As I mentioned before. I switched to a lower value plan. It is in my opinion that by the wording used in your forum about changing the plan to a lower valued plan was nothing more than extortion.

Extortion: The practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats. 

Here is the proof it was here then removed.

Chalupa_Batman_1-1714005322842.pngChalupa_Batman_2-1714005343065.png

Please accept this as my official complaint.

To remedy this complaint, I request you place the unused 240GB of loyalty data back on my account on the next billing cycle with a refreshed 150 days.

@CS_Agent @Chalupa_Batman 

Lucster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your 

@Bunnyhop wrote:

That's the last straw I'm switching to freedom mobile now.

I'm really getting close to switching... but I decided to submit m first CCTS complaint to see what they'll do before switching my 6 lines.  If I switch all 6 lines, there is no way I'm coming back.  If I receive an offer to come back, I'll send my response to the highest level of management I can find (https://rocketreach.co/public-mobile-management_b5c2fdf8f42e0f00) and/or to all 83 employees that have a linkedin account.

Do the right thing PM and do not go agains't your word.PM promise 2024-04-10 at 8.37.17 PM.png

RetiredGuy1

Everything you say is absolutely true. I was talking specifically about those who have already left (in order to receive a win back offer). I used $7 loosely for illustration purposes. You are correct its $5.42 in that scenario. So, a $15 win back, in that scenario, represents more than 2 months but less than 3 months of lost rewards.

marcnoel

It's not $ 7.00 loss per month.  It's a maximum of $ 5.42, if you have been a subscriber for more than five years, and are on a $ 15.00 plan.  Loyalty is switching from a maximum of $ 60.00 a year to $ 10.00, so that's a $ 50.00 loss per year, which is $ 4.17 a month, less if you've been with PM a shorter time.  AutoPay is switching from $ 2.00 a month to 5% of the bill, which is as low as 75¢ ($ 15.00 plan), so that's a maximum of $ 1.25 loss per month.  $ 4.17 + $ 1.25 is $ 5.42 maximum loss per month.  If you've been with PM less than five years, and have a higher-priced plan, the loss is even less.

Remember that, if you leave PM, you can't take any referrals, the 5% back, or the $ 10.00/year with you to a new carrier.  You will have to start at the bottom again.

In my own case, assuming all eight of my referrals stay, I will get an average discount of $ 10.53 per month on a $ 34.00 plan, equalling $ 23.47 per month.  I have not seen any other carrier that is giving 50 GB a month for that price.  Yes, I know some have rewards and/or referrals, but the rewards take time, and referrals are not guaranteed.  Once again, we can get 50 GB for $ 34.00 now, vs. 4 GB for $ 40.00 in 2018.  Offering went up, and price went down.  My loss will be $ 4.47 a month, but it's still a better deal than leaving, then having to wait for rewards to kick in, or hope that I can get referrals.  I may not be inclined to refer to PM now, because of this switch, but, until a good-enough deal comes along, I think I'm staying put.

Need Help? Let's chat.