cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling in Europe and 2FA

nreisle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm wondering if anyone has an experience travelling in Europe with Public Mobile? I know that they don't offer roaming options outside of the US. I plan to get an eSim and local number when I arrive. The only issue I have is that so many sites require two factor authentication and some can't be changed to email or app based. Do you know if I will get charged exorbitant fees if I turn on my SIM card to get text messages for 2FA? When I travelled with Telus getting text messages didn't incur roaming only sending, but I don't know if it's the same with public mobile. 

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Outside of USA & Canada, you will not have any service with Public Mobile at all.

I recommend looking into each of your services authentication options, as most do support options other than SMS these days. Email and TOTP or push-based authenticator apps are easiest since you can receive those with any data connection. (And technically TOTP codes don't need a data connection at all, just a reasonably accurate clock).

Lastly, if none of those options are available but the service still offers the option of making a voice phone call, you can sign-up for a free TextNow account which gives you a separate Canadian phone number that you can access for making and receiving calls with any mobile data or Wi-Fi connection, and set the service to call that number, or call forward your Public Mobile line to it before leaving the country.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @nreisle 

no, since PM does not have service in Europe, you won't receive your 2FA text

if they are critical, change it to other way , like email , before your trip

Meow
Mayor / Maire

NO service outside of USA/Canada.

Rastin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't know for sure but I don't think you will receive any text messages over there be it normal or 2fa from your PM number.

Need Help? Let's chat.