cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loyalty bonus not working when travelling in USA

Holly_6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in Hawaii 2 1/2 weeks and was totally unable to use my phone for international calls or data while there. I counted on having this service, given the text advising me this winter that I was given a nice  ''loyalty'' bonus'' for international long-distance, texts and data! In the end, we used my friend's phone and incurred a whopping $155 of charges on his phone! Now I am going to AZ next week and again need to use my international options. HOW can I make it work this time pls???

11 REPLIES 11

Bishop36
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

There is also another way if you are going on a trip that lasts longer than 15 day to the US. You can switch to a Canada/US account that is giving you freedom of calls/text and a lot of data (currently 50Gigs). If you travel often to US keep the plan, if not you can switch to a lower plan when you come back at renewal.

The draw back is you lose your bonus loyalty and remember if you switch do it at renewal so you are not double charged. Good luck in your travels and right now there is a special rate of $34/month for US/Canada plans.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The $30 15 day add-on includes 3GB in the US.

When changing plans you won't lose any credits or bonuses except the "loyalty data" which can go away if you switch to a plan cheaper than what you were on when you received the bonus.

Holly_6

Thanks for that. I find researching the details of the plans super user-unfriendly on my account. If I were to switch plans, it would undoubtedly cost more and I do not go too often to the States. Also, would I loose my annual yearly credits I have accumulated and my other bonuses? How much data is included with the $30 plan, do you know? I need data for GPS as we travel and to run my Ebird and Merlin apps when away from wifi to do bird-watching, one of my hobbies. Thanks for your guidance.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Public Mobile has a $30 US roaming add-on with talk text and data for 15 days. Or you can switch to one of the currently available CAN+US plans that have US roaming included for as low as $34.

Holly_6

Well that is a revelation, htide Gnow and DDM69 re the bonus means calls placed FROM Canada or received while I am IN Canada. Thanks for that. What would you do if going to the US? I don't really ''get'' roaming. I need GPS while out of the wifi catchment area of the hotel or restaurants we might be. I also use Ebird and Merlin while in the field doing bird-watching. I do very much appreciate your guidance.

Holly_6

Well that is a revelation, htideGnow and DDM69 re the bonus means calls placed FROM Canada or received while I am IN Canada. Thanks for that. What would you do if going to the US? I don't really ''get'' roaming. I need GPS while out of the wifi catchment area of the hotel or restaurants we might be. I also use Ebird and Merlin while in the field doing bird-watching. I do very much appreciate your guidance.

Holly_6

Well that is a revelation, hTideGnow and DDM69 re the bonus means calls placed FROM Canada or received while I am IN Canada. Thanks for that. What would you do if going to the US? I don't really ''get'' roaming. I need GPS while out of the wifi catchment area of the hotel or restaurants we might be. I also use Ebird and Merlin while in the field doing bird-watching. I do very much appreciate your guidance.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

IMG_9619.jpeg

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oops. Unfortunately I think you misunderstood the international calls add on. Before traveling it’s best to research what Public offers and where. Add ons are available when going to the US but they not called international minutes.  You needed to add a US roaming add on.  If you’re going anywhere other than the US, you should buy an eSIM if you want service. Airalo is a great eSIM to use anywhere in the world and it’s reasonably priced. Certainly much cheaper than the charges your friend received. 
AIRALO

IMG_9618.png

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Holly_6 

did you buy roaming addon?  

the loyalty data bonus is data to be used in Canada only.  You need to buy US roaming data option or have a Canada-US plan to use the service in US

Need Help? Let's chat.