cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change from Public Mobile to a new provider (SIM pre-paid)

RebeccaWitham
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to change my prepaid account to a different provider that offers wifi calling as I live in a black spot.

How do I go about doing this?

13 REPLIES 13

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@RebeccaWitham wrote:

I want to change my prepaid account to a different provider that offers wifi calling as I live in a black spot.

How do I go about doing this?

If you want to rely on WiFi calling why not use voip app like TextNow?

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RebeccaWitham It may or may not work as it lists the Canadian model as compatible. International models YMMV. There's no guarantee it could work. Best bet is to buy a Canadian model of phone to ensure the best coverage.

@RebeccaWitham  According to GSMArean, your version is a Global version and it has quiet many bands that you need on PM.  These are the bands your phone has and BOLD are those used by PM 

3G bands Global, USA:  HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 
4G bands Global 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 

Was it just voice having the issue or Mobile data as well?

try changing to 3G ONLY and see if it improves. 

Since your phone has most bands for PM, you can try to get a North American version of the phone from a friend and see if the signal is any better, but I assume it could be geographical instead of device

LeePublic

Koodo has wifi calling on their post-paid plans.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

LeePublic

@RebeccaWitham Seems like your S10 is this model number: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10-9536.php#sm-g973f/ds

It's the Exnyos model.

RebeccaWitham

Thanks, I'll look into it 😊

RebeccaWitham

The model number is SM-G973F. Thanks!

LeePublic

Sounds like you may have found a good solution, PM isn't for everyone especially when they lack VoLTE or WiFi calling. I personally recommend moving up one tier to Koodo, or to Telus. They may have migration offers for PM customers.

@RebeccaWitham   It's possible your Australian version of the phone might have less compatible bands.  Give us the exact model and we can look it up for you to confirm. (Go to Settings and check the exact model number)

If Wifi Calling helps, I guess you should change the provider, too, it's easier

However, if you want to stay, another way is to setup a VoIP app like TextNow.  Have your Forward setting set to Forward when Not available to your TextNow phone number.  So, when your PM phone has problem receiving the call, the phone will forward to the TextNow app, your app on the phone will ring.  It's a workaround, not perfect but works

RebeccaWitham

I'm in a basement suite, so no cell service. I need a provider that offers wifi calling which I have found. The new provider has an app for wifi calling specifically. My wifi provider is Telus. If there's a way to make and receive calls without wifi calling, I'd love to know as I've been trying to find a work around and have not been successful. Please also note that my cell phone is actually from Australia (Samsung S10), not sure if that makes any difference.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RebeccaWitham 

You would want to port your number into the new provider. However I would suggest you take a temporary phone number to test the service first as you could have the same issue with the new provider. Unless you have a regional provider it is likely your only option will be s provider using the rogers network.

Once you port your number out your account automatically closes and you lose any rewards , add ons or balances you may have. If you join pm again in the future you will no longer be able to earn rewards under the old program and will instead be under the points program which is less rewarding.

If you give us your location maybe we can help troubleshoot your lack of network signal before you change providers. How long have you had this issue? Has it been consistently bad or just more recently? What is the make and model of your phone? There are workarounds for a poor 3G signal for calling that can use your WiFi for calling without it specifically being WiFi calling. Who is your home internet provider?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin#.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RebeccaWitham    You should contact the other carrier you're wanting to move to for directions on how to activate with them but you need to keep your PM account active until the transfer of your number is completed.  Also remember to remove any payment card from the PM account as once your porting is successful, you will lose access to your PM account.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Buy the different sim, activate with it, leave this account account if not Telus or Koodo, leave this sim in, do the transfer/port during activation or afterwards, confirm the transfer text from here, put in new sim. Done.

Need Help? Let's chat.