cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customer buying new phone which supports e-sim only

Robotron2084
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I’ve read through a few articles related to the question in my posts Subject line, but I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly before I buy my replacement iPhone. 

With my new device in-hand, I first install the PM app and then log in using my credentials.  The site will detect that I’m logging in from a device with no sim card and will then allow me to purchase an e-sim via the Shop Add-Ons menu and install it. 

5 REPLIES 5

Robotron2084
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Food for thought. I appreciate everyone’s insights!

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

I am curious which phone it is. I've never heard of an eSIM only phone. lol. 

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

iPhone 15 and iPhone 14 US version, they both don't have physical sim slot

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your steps are correct but I personally would NOT purchase a phone supporting only eSIM.
eSIM can fail and it is not transferrable. If it fails or you change phone you have to purchase a new one.

Physical SIM is transferrable - get another phone, pull out, put in and you have connection. Physical SIM rarely fails unless you physically damage it.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I am curious which phone it is. I've never heard of an eSIM only phone. lol. 

Just know, if you are unsuccessful at loading the eSIM and for some reason it fails, you will be required to purchase another eSIM for $10 and so on. Hence the reason I'm not a fan of eSIMs. Your phone dies and need to send it away, you must purchase another eSIM or physical SIM for the "temp" phone. Once you get your phone back, good chance it's been factory reset, you will be required to purchase yet another eSIM. And if that fails, another. 

Not trying to scare you here but...   this actually is a reality with eSIM. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Robotron2084 

Correct.  Need to download PM app, login into your account and then purchase eSIM. 

Here is some info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/get-a-sim-card

Need Help? Let's chat.