cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G service on new $15 4G Canada-wide plan?

Louis124
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

Long time 3G flip-phone user here. Now that the rewards program is changing, I was thinking to move from the $20 province-wide plan to the $15 Canada-wide plan. I do see that it is 4G, though. Will I be able to use my 3G flip-phone with this plan?

Also, will I be able to keep all my add-ons from years past (I still have long distance minutes and data buckets from all of the holiday gifts).

Thank you,

Louis

12 REPLIES 12

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Telus has it for now. Its advertised as a “limited time offer” though.

@888rjw wrote:

Wasn't it mandatory to give little browsing data with every voice plan.?

What happened to that law ?

@888rjw 

here:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

But that only applies for Tier 1 provider:

We are therefore expecting Bell, Rogers, Telus and SaskTel to offer and promote low-cost and occasional-use plans. These providers are expected to offer the following by July 14, 2021.

and interestingly, even Bell itself does not have a $15 prepaid plan.  Telus has it, so Telus did its part and the law does not require Tier 3 providers like PM to have such plan

@888rjw wrote:

The above doesn't apply to prepaid carriers.

888rjw

xiv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Chalupa_Batman you should look into the Sunbeam Wireless F1 Pro series, they likely have what you're looking for: VoLTE, flip with touch-screen ( !!! ), GPS navigation, music player, rugged, and so on.

I have an original F1 with me, and it works fine on the Telus network (either on 3G or LTE). The first generation is a bit fragile, but they listened to customers and the Pro series is more robust.

Louis124

LG B470. Ancient relic but works perfectly. Thanks for confirming I can still use this on the new $15 4G plan. Will wait until the new rewards program changes over tomorrow before I make the move. 

@softech wrote:

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

at the moment, no old style flip phone made it to PM's VoLTE shortlist.  All those flip phones will be using 3G for voice

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I do miss my flip phone. I wish they'd make a rugged flip phone with all the required bells and whistles need to work for today's standards. Would LOVE to get my old Motorola V70 with todays standards. 🙂

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech - Yes, it is annoying with 3G leaving in a year or two.

I hope PM just whitelists all devices like ZTE Cymbal 2 a.k.a flip phone and the Wireless landline devices from ZTE.

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

at the moment, no old style flip phone made it to PM's VoLTE shortlist.  All those flip phones will be using 3G for voice

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Louis124 

3G is more for data than calling. As long as your flip phone has VoLTE then you should be fine. The 250mb of data didn't really do much anyways. The new $15 unlimited talk and text is a sweet offer. You can always buy addons but the only thing I don't like is they expire in 30 days. Addons should not expire IMO. But eh, still a good plan. If you still have the More The Merrier long distance minutes left over, don't worry, they do carry over. I have 2000 minutes and I'm on the $15 plan myself. Hope this helps. 

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Louis124 - Yes, but you will be limited to 3G speed (No data though)

Public Mobile still has Vo3G and or VoLTE (Yours is Vo3G)

It will work.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Louis124 

the new $15 plan is a voice only plan with no data at all

and all PM subscribers can access PM's 3G/4G/5G network regardless of the plan, just the speed matter

but PM is using mainly 3G for voice,  only some newer model phones will be using VoLTE on the 4G network.  For your flip phone, it will likely be using 3G for voice still, but it will work if it has been working now (what model is that phone?)

Need Help? Let's chat.