Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,584 REPLIES 5,584

Salvo1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nope I'm hoping it's an early April Fool's joke

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GKPublic wrote:

I’m gutted by this change like most of us are, but I’m going to break down the difference here.  I’m due to earn one more month of the old rewards: $2 autopay, $2 refer a friend, $5 loyalty (just rolled over to $5 from $4 ☹️)  = $9.

New Public Points: 2 points refer a friend, 1.7 points (5% of $34) , about 0.83 points per month paid out on the anniversary date = 4.53 points per month, roughly $4.50 in value.  

So for me, the new Public Points are half as good, which isn’t that bad, but my referred family members fare worse with the dropping of the autopay bonus.  

My bill is rising from $25 to about $29.50, but in another important way, Public Points are worse: it’s not immediately discounted, so I have to pay $34 plus tax instead of $25 plus tax, then remember to use the points periodically.  A good proportion of people will forget about them or not know how to redeem them.  Use them or not, we’re paying sales taxes on a higher base.  

So that’s why we were holding out on converting to the new points system, and a bucket of data I don’t need for 150 days isn’t worth anything to me, sadly… unless perhaps I downgrade for a few months?  Anyone considering this?

As per their email, the Legacy Rewards will be discontinued in May, so I'm definitely going to put off joining the Points system for my payments on the 13th. of this month & again in April. 

The email from PM seems to indicate that the change will occur on May 1st., but they've used a strange way to say it, "Starting May". Starting May what? 1st., 15th.?

It leaves me feeling like they can't do the transition all at once, so it might occur over a few days, or they don't yet have a fixed date in May for the switch. 

After the switch, I will downgrade from my $35 to a $25 plan. I'm hopeful PM will open the $24 plan to everyone, not just for new activations, because that's the plan I'd prefer to choose to downgrade to. 

Stelawrat_0-1709912540160.png

KatieF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I guess this means I'm no longer getting credit for being a subscriber for over 9 years on every bill?

@Stelawrat wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@mischt70 wrote:

This is my confusion, it still says on the website "opt in to points " page in My Rewards that you will recieve 1 point per month. What is the real truth on this?

@mischt70 

Likely a marketing error.  From my understanding, the loyalty bonus points (one time payment - one point per month with PM) was been removed.  There use to be an actual section with the welcome bonus points of 5 which actually calculated the actual number of months with PM and the actual number of points that you will earn.  Ie. 50 pts for 50 months with PM.  We are asking for clarification from PM management.  

PM haven't modified the website information shown yet.

The total points I could earn isn't shown though, 36 points in my case. They do show the 10 points I'd earn on this years anniversary date, my fourth year with PM.  

Stelawrat_1-1709909284775.png

@Stelawrat 

From my understanding, Public mobile has removed the one time loyalty perks bonus points (ie, one point per month with PM).  Likely a marketing error that we are seeing on our self service account.  Keep that screenshot and you may have a valid argument.  

mikasik2

cprnicus

I just knew it was only a matter of time after highjacking their way back into PM, Telus would arbitrarily screw over longtime members by taking away that which brought them over in the first place. This is just BS. Leave well enough alone. I don't want nor care about your points plan, otherwise I would of switched over when it was originally offered. Just like your "neversafe" epic fail you double down on stupid and take away that which was EARNED through loyalty to service provided. You can't have executive "brainstorming" on improving that which works fine when collectively the boardroom is void of intellect.

Stelawrat

@MajorTalent wrote:

@golffan I saw this too and it confused me... Earning 1 point per month since May 2014 means 12 months x 10 years - so are we supposed to get 120pts monthly, yearly or as a one time deal for being switched to the points rewarding system?

It's not very clear without showing what the first note is referencing, any thoughts or clarification that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated 

Footnote #1 isn't referenced anywhere on that webpage, but as it's worded identically, it must refer to, "As you know, you'll earn one point for every month you've been with Public Mobile when you join Public Points." 

So from my PM join date to my Public Points join date (if I joined voluntarily), 3 years for me, I'd earn a one time bonus of 36 points. 

I think what remains unclear is if we wait, allowing PM to complete our transition to the Points system, which according to their email will be sometime in May, will we still get the bonus points (36 in my case), or are they lost? 

Stelawrat_0-1709910133210.png

Stelawrat_1-1709911079377.png

Stelawrat

@Dunkman wrote:

@mischt70 wrote:

This is my confusion, it still says on the website "opt in to points " page in My Rewards that you will recieve 1 point per month. What is the real truth on this?

@mischt70 

Likely a marketing error.  From my understanding, the loyalty bonus points (one time payment - one point per month with PM) was been removed.  There use to be an actual section with the welcome bonus points of 5 which actually calculated the actual number of months with PM and the actual number of points that you will earn.  Ie. 50 pts for 50 months with PM.  We are asking for clarification from PM management.  

PM haven't modified the website information shown yet.

The total points I could earn isn't shown though, 36 points in my case. They do show the 10 points I'd earn on this years anniversary date, my fourth year with PM.  

Stelawrat_1-1709909284775.png

Stelawrat

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@MiZ_C wrote:

Oh and why did the community make me choose a new nic name - there was no way to sign in - I am so Not "New in Town" LOL

Long outstanding issue, since the rollout of Eversafe. Contact CS_Agent to merge your new community account into your old one.

I had to do this as well a little while ago, even though I had posted semi-regularly in the past. Interesting to know that we can merge the two accounts. Thank you for pointing that out. Just wondering if it's a smooth process, no unforeseen glitches. 

@Stelawrat wrote:

I've read all of the posts up to page 16... pretty sure no one has asked this so, can anyone please advise if customers located in Quebec will still receive the $5 off per month, or is this lost as well? 

Signed up in July '20 for a $35 plan (- $5 off QC location - $2 Auto pay - $3 Loyalty) = $25 per month currently. 

I've had a quick look at other providers & the choices are limited. When the enforced points system comes into effect, I'm leaning towards downgrading my plan to the one PM provides for $25 per month, meaning I'll lose 1 GB of data per month & forfeit the gift of 240 GB special bonus data. I'll get to keep all of my Add-Ons earned over the years = 6 GB data & 1500 minutes INTL Long Distance incl CA & US.

I really wish I could downgrade to the $24 per month plan, currently available for new activations only. I sincerely believe that if PM made that an option, it would compensate a bit for the loss of our legacy rewards, especially so if Quebec residents lose that $5 per month reduction. 

I can't imagine that the difference in what the two plans provide would have that great an impact on PM's bottom line. Making it available to everyone would restore a fair amount of the good will PM customers normally have for them. Currently it's being drained away by the enforced point system, combined with the restriction to this attractive plan.

@Stelawrat 

You actually should keep the ongoing $5/month discount as long as you don't change the original plan $35.  Yes, you will lose your loyalty and autopay rewards.  

If you are planning to change as described above, you will need to do it soon.  Some customers have already received the data bonus (ranging from 5GB top 240 GB).  Once you get the data bonus, if you change plan, your data bonus will be removed according to FAQ.  

I agree with you.  Making the $24 and $29 "new activation only" plans available to existing customers would be a positive step in helping with this transition.  Better than the offer of the data bonus for many customers. 

JoshuaPacker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Figured this was coming. I have two lines with discounts and two lines without. I see a lot of I'm moving somewhere else posts... I'm not sure there is better out there. The public network is still great(for me), you get a well priced CAN-US.  It was a good run, but not surprised they are moving everyone to the same rewards.

ninjastar

"As a Public Mobile valued customer..." Obviously our value has plunged like Telus's reputation. 

mikasik2

@TheRockGamers1 wrote:

1000004900.jpg

 Optional versus forced is not the same thing. 

This flies in the face of the original email sent when the Point Sytem was introduced.

Get this to the CRTC!

TheRockGamers1

1000004900.jpg

 Optional versus forced is not the same thing. 

This flies in the face of the original email sent when the Point Sytem was introduced.

ninjastar

They earn millions and you work for them to earn $7 a month... 😂 

mikasik2

How many help posts would I have to do to earn $7 a month?

JACJAC

Not playing nonsense games with points.   I'll be moving all 4 lines elsewhere.  But I guess that's what you want, isn't it?

Congratulations, you win.

tyedye00

Hmm like others quite displeased, but not surprised this eventually arrived, I mean, 2 rewards systems? Unheard of.

I say they cancel the new points system and bring back the old one.

ninjastar

"Maybe part of the plan is to lose business and eventually shut down PM entirely, ever since Telus took over they've tried doing quite a bit to make existing customers angry and disappointed."

This. Something smells rotten. Culling the herd seems like a specific intentional action to balance out some financial spreadsheet for a new buyer or merger. 

Stelawrat

I've read all of the posts up to page 16... pretty sure no one has asked this so, can anyone please advise if customers located in Quebec will still receive the $5 off per month, or is this lost as well? 

Signed up in July '20 for a $35 plan (- $5 off QC location - $2 Auto pay - $3 Loyalty) = $25 per month currently. 

I've had a quick look at other providers & the choices are limited. When the enforced points system comes into effect, I'm leaning towards downgrading my plan to the one PM provides for $25 per month, meaning I'll lose 1 GB of data per month & forfeit the gift of 240 GB special bonus data. I'll get to keep all of my Add-Ons earned over the years = 6 GB data & 1500 minutes INTL Long Distance incl CA & US.

I really wish I could downgrade to the $24 per month plan, currently available for new activations only. I sincerely believe that if PM made that an option, it would compensate a bit for the loss of our legacy rewards, especially so if Quebec residents lose that $5 per month reduction. 

I can't imagine that the difference in what the two plans provide would have that great an impact on PM's bottom line. Making it available to everyone would restore a fair amount of the good will PM customers normally have for them. Currently it's being drained away by the enforced point system, combined with the restriction to this attractive plan.

Stelawrat_0-1709879873790.png

@Chops888 wrote:

So what should I expect to see when my plan switches to Public Points?

My Current Plan and Old Rewards are:

• $34, 5G 
  • $13 in rewards per month, leaving me a bill of $21.

Do I at least get $13 per month worth of value upon entering the new rewards (besides the one-time data bonus?)

@Chops888 so there are some assumptions on your rewards you are earning now.  They are that you have maxed out the 5 year loyalty for $5, $2 autpay and then 6 referrals.  On the points you will get 1.7 points ($34 * 5%) + 6 points for referrals.  You will also get 10 points on your anniversary date which works out to  .833 points per month but not paid out until your anniversary, so you will not be getting the equivalent to your $13  per month.

Edited to Add:  DIdn't realise there were responses to this on another page already lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BenjaminClassic

Sooo I no longer get 2$ off for autopay and 3$ off for being with PM for the last 3 years 

Amped

Yeah, I don't get why people are so hung up on seeing a 5G symbol on their phone.  I routinely get better speeds on LTE since the signal is stronger and my battery lasts longer.  I've actually disabled 5G on my phone. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your math is a little more complicated than it needs to be, but yeah, you're correct. You'll be paying $53.60 more per year. So basically an extra $4.50 more per month.

Bunnyhop

This is what happens when you people let BC TEL become privatized and then sit on your hands when Telus buys out the little guy Public Mobile.

We need to switch to another Telecom brand that is independent of the big 3.

Cutestories

Boooooo

JamJam2

That's exactly what the Bobs at Telus Corporate want. They want you to move from Public to Koodo. Move to PC mobile, Freedom, Lucky. Lots of good deals without rewarding Telus.

Chops888
  • I have $6 in friend referrals. So it seems I can earn 6 points every month. So in a year that's 72 points.
  • For my plan, your math is saying the $34 x 5% = 1.70 points. So in a year, I can earn about 20.4 points.
  • And anniversary points would be 10 points.

For a total of 102.4 points = $102.40 of potential discount if I don't do anything else. Correct?

Old: $21 x 12 months = $252
New: $34 x 12 months ($408) - $102.40 discount = $305.60
Difference: $53.60 increase

Crashtestdummy

Been an ambassador to Public Mobile for over 5 years. Was their marketing department. Tech and general support when forum or referrals needed help. Steady revenue stream for the company from me, my referrals and their referrals and this forced upon inferior points system is how we get treated! Unbelievable!! Please consider how much your company will have to spend to get your loyal customers back once they leave!! 

You are making a big mistake Public Mobile!! 

@Chops888 wrote:

So what should I expect to see when my plan switches to Public Points?

My Current Plan and Old Rewards are:

• $34, 5G 
  • $13 in rewards per month, leaving me a bill of $21.

Do I at least get $13 per month worth of value upon entering the new rewards (besides the one-time data bonus?)

@Chops888 depends on how much friend referrals you have now.

The $2 autopay and the loyalty rewards will be gone.  But you will get the same friends referral rewards in points (assuming no change to the number of active friends).  You will pay the full $34 and earn 1.7 points (unless you have money in Available Funds now).  Once you have 15 points, you can redeem for $15 bill credit and bring down the next bill by $15

Need Help? Let's chat.