cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US and CANADA roaming data plan

Runfast
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just bought a US and Canada roaming data plan. It started on March 27th. I'm in the US right now. I can't call or text or reach the internet, can't use data.

8 REPLIES 8

Mrbravo

This worked for me,  thanks!

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

In your network settings:

1) Turn Data Roaming ON

2) Set Preferred Network to 4G

3) If automatic doesn't connect to T-Mobile 4G/5G or AT&T 4G, manually connect

AT&T 5G does not work.

Hummingbird
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have continued to play with the phone trying all kinds of things, and so far this is what finally seems to have worked for me ....

Regarding the sim issue. I was going to remove it and reset it but decided to reboot the phone again ... Several times... It finally seems to have worked. After half an hour of waiting, it did not show the no sim message again. And still hasnt more than an hour later.

Regarding the issue with T-mobile or AT&T....I still only have the option for T-Mobile ( even though I know other people in this area have AT&T) but my phone finally gave me the option to choose 2, 3, or 4G ( I dont know what I did to finally have the options appear,as earlier, I only had 4G appearing as a choice) so first I put it to 2G ( even though I know that does not exist in the US any more) I left it for a few minutes then switched it to 3G, left it again for a few minutes then switched it to 4G again. Everything came on data, phone, text, and R was working. It worked for about 20 min then switched off and on again. I then turned on the wifi button and everything worked again.  But I  know the wifi was providing the internet and if I have to keep that on when away from our main wifi source I know the battery will run down very quickly while searching for wifi, so I  turned the wifi button off again . So far everything on the phone is working now, it's been about an hour. So fingers crossed everything is now working. If the problem starts up again I'll turn on the wifi again to see if it helps to kick-start everything. I dont know why external wifi would help with the phone issue but it seems to have so....😊

Perhaps these steps will help someone else with same or similar issues. I hope so. 😊

@Runfast  good luck with yours. I hope you get it worked out soon. 

Bodu

In this particular scenario, I've been lucky (using a physical sim) to power off the phone and remove my sim.

Powered on.

Reinsert sim with roaming ON selected. It took a few minutes but it settled on AT&T with a stable connection with data.

Phone was an older Samsung.

Hummingbird
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am having the same issues. I am presently in the US. My Canada-US plan started March 19. I've tried all of the above actions but the phone will not stay connected. It disconnects/connects every 2 to 5 seconds. It didplays 2 to 4 bars and R, and 4G. Then it clicks off, then after a couple seconds the bars and R return, then click off again. The mobile network is T-mobile. I've tried to access AT&T but it is not an option and I cannot deselect T-mobile nor access manual choice. A few times it said no sim, but then reconnected to T-mobile and showed bars and R.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Runfast 

in the cellphone settings, select 4G rather than 5G. Make sure Roaming Data is enabled. You should be good-to-go.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Runfast 

can you connect to T-Mobile or AT&T manually?

you turned on Mobile roaming data?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Runfast 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Need Help? Let's chat.