cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phones

Andream
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m thinking of signing up for Public mobile but concerned that it’ll be very expensive to buy a new phone from Apple when I need one. Where are you all getting new phones when yours breaks or gets too old?

15 REPLIES 15

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Andream 

Some stores sell Apple GC with 10% off in points back to their loyalty program like the PC Optimum program.

You can use the discounted Apple GC to pay for your new Apple phone.

@Andream 

The installment payments options offered by Apple mentioned by gpixel4 are also offered by Samsung.  No interest loans are available through both Apple Canada and Samsung Canada websites through a third party financing company pending credit approval.

@Andream 

if what you're looking for is a payment plan on a device. apple does this with many products and iPhones. go to their website. 

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Andream 

You meant that most of the other providers have tabs for new phones, so those phones appears to be cheaper than you would have to pay upfront if you were with Public Mobile (PM).  If you do some math, they may not be  cheaper.  Factoring how much you have to repay your tab and how much extra you have to pay for a similar PM plan, how much you would have to pay for a comparable new iPhone upfront, you would get your answer if PM is good for you. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Andream 

PM is a prepaid provider.  Only postpaid provider will subsidize your new phone.  You are correct about getting a new phone after your current one fails.  Buy a new phone is on your own.  Prepaid provider like PM which does not sell any new phones.

There is separate PM department which sells Certified Pre-Owned(PCO) used phones. They are not the latest and greatest flagship phones.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section

You can start putting the monthly savings into a saving account after jointing PM family.  You can use the saving to pay for a new phone.

Thank you for considering PM.  Ask if you have not questions.

@Andream 

nice option go online or in store apple give them your serial number and do trade-in and take new device.

Trade In - Apple (CA)

@Andream wrote:

I have an iPhone 11 but it’s slowing down. I don’t take very good care of my devices so I won’t be surprised if I need a new one in the next year

@Andream   maybe you don't need a new one.  

when you are ready, backup everything to iCloud

then Wipe the phone (reset to factory default).  Do not restore your iCloud backup yet.  Setup the phone as a new one, then make sure OS is updated to latest one.  See how the speed goes.  When ready, maybe one more wipe and then restore your Cloud backup

Andream
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 11 but it’s slowing down. I don’t take very good care of my devices so I won’t be surprised if I need a new one in the next year

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Andream 

All PM phones are not new. They are all refurbished phones from Telus member trade their phones in to upgrade to a new expensive phone.

The PM phones have a 30 days refund and 1 year warranty. Best warranty on the market.

I wouldn't be so sure about the trade-in statement.  Telus CPO devices have always been devices that Telus has sold before as new.  The devices could also be phones that are returned either because customers change their minds or because of a possible defect.  It's very possible that some of the devices have been repaired, but also that many of the devices aren't refurbished at all, but just used (and tested)  As to whether Telus CPO devices include repaired devices and/or warranty replacement units or even trade-in units is something that I've wondered about but I've never been able to get a clear answer from Public Mobile.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Andream 

When it is time for a new phone consider purchasing an Android phone from Costco. You have a 90 day return policy. Example: At my Costco location right now they have several phones between $200 to $400. 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Andream 

revire all  Phone Section (publicmobile.ca)

Certified Pre-Owned warranty has you covered for any manufacturer defects for 1 year (excluding Physical / Liquid damage), starting from the date of purchase. For more information on conditions, and instructions to submit a warranty claim Click here

1. If you are not satisfied, you can return your purchase for an exchange or refund, with the original sales receipt, within 30 days from purchase date if bought online. Click for more information regarding our return policies.

2. Offer available online only. Effective August 24, 2022 until September 6, 2022 11:59PM ET. Offer available to existing and new Public Mobile customers. Offer limited to one bill credit per Public Mobile account. The customer’s account must be in good standing in order to receive the credit. Credit will be automatically applied to eligible accounts by September 30, 2022.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Check around Spring time or Black Friday time. This is when newer models tend to be advertised and you should be able to pick up sales of previous year's models.

Google models you are interested in now, if you are looking to buy one before or around Black Friday time.

@Andream wrote:

I’m thinking of signing up for Public mobile but concerned that it’ll be very expensive to buy a new phone from Apple when I need one. Where are you all getting new phones when yours breaks or gets too old?

As Canadian carriers aren't allowed to lock (or need to unlock the phone), you can pretty much get your phone from anywhere. However, carriers often won't sell a device unless you're already a customer or are becoming a customer.  Many major retails chain stores (department stores, electronics stores, etc.) carry unlocked cell phones.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Andream 

All PM phones are not new. They are all refurbished phones from Telus member trade their phones in to upgrade to a new expensive phone.

The PM phones have a 30 days refund and 1 year warranty. Best warranty on the market.

Today is the last day for the Back to School promo for a $30 credit on your phone bill with a purchase of a PM phone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-Back-to-School-and-Save-Up-to-160-o... 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Andream wrote:

@Andream   what phone are you using now?  You don't need a new phone to join PM. Most Canadian model phone can work on PM without problem.  And certainly most iPhone will work here.  Whatever phone you have,  let us know the model and we can tell if it is compatible here.  

Need Help? Let's chat.