cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOVING PUBLIC MOBILE

Bella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported over at  Christmas time and have nothing but good things to say about Public Mobile.  The LTE service is so much better than Rogers.  I travel on the 401 from Burlington to Ottawa and I must say I have way better coverage than I had with Rogers.  Thank you Public Mobile for the great service and great plan.  I keep telling all my friends how good this service is. smileyhappy:

13 REPLIES 13

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The Bell/Telus network is far better in NL as well than Rogers. Nice to have access to it without paying crazy rates.

I understand what you mean now. Some spectrum was indeed reserved for new entrants as you mentioned, but I just want to clarify that spectrum has no relation to tower numbers.

Shutdown

I mean the spectrum auction when verizon was thinking of buying wind. They were complaining that its unfair they can only buy 1 while verizon would beable to buy 2 out of the 4 implying that they are over different channels. Like wifi channel being 1-11.

Hi @Shutdown

What do you mean by your comment? Number of towers is not restricted by the government. For more info on network sharing, see here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M4207...

@Shutdown wrote:

I still think they have more towers due to 2 companies being able to bid for spectrum vs rogers only able to get 1. Since the canadian government restricts the spectrum tower to 1 for the big 3.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I also joined PM just after Christmas and am ecstatic with the service.  I could never answer my cell while at home when I was with PC Mobile - no service.  It was frustrating walking around the house trying to find service just to send a text.  So happy to be with PM.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I find the coverage very similar to Rogers, including the weak spots.

For example - south of the QEW between Winston Churchill & Erin Mills and Near the Square One mall in Mississauga.

I'll survive, just wish these areas had better coverage.

Happy Monday!!

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am so happy to hear that, and I love public mobile 2

Shutdown

I still think they have more towers due to 2 companies being able to bid for spectrum vs rogers only able to get 1. Since the canadian government restricts the spectrum tower to 1 for the big 3.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I live in western Canada and I am definitely getting better signal and better speeds with PM than fido. They must be doing something right!

Bella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

However the towers work, I definitely get better service with Public.  Which I am very happy about. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Shutdown wrote:

The LTE is probably better due to bell/telus sharing towers. So it's 2 on 1 with bell/telus vs rogers in terms of towers.

Telus and Bell share infrastructure, but Telus has relatively few towers in the east, while Bell has very few in the west. Check out the canadian cell tower map here:
https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Together, they have good coverage across Canada (except Saskatchewan), but probably a comparable number of towers to Rogers, not 2 to 1, so any difference in LTE quality would likely be due to other factors.

Shutdown

The LTE is probably better due to bell/telus sharing towers. So it's 2 on 1 with bell/telus vs rogers in terms of towers.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @Bella!

Welcome to the awesome PM experience.

Always great to hear from a fellow PM'er who is happy with the plan and service.  Feel free to participate in the community forum.  Fellow members and the mods can help get things done if you ever need help.  See you around 🙂  

Need Help? Let's chat.