cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot spotting

Selinab
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can anyone recommend a plan if I'm going to hotspot instead of using my wi-fi? I watch a couple movies a week, YouTube videos and general browsing on social media platforms. My home internet Wi-Fi bill went up and I'm thinking it's better if I just use my phone's data! Please advise! 

8 REPLIES 8

hi @Selinab so, you have the $34 now?? 

if you need more data , check the $40 and $50.  And yours is the Canada/US plan?? The current $34 or $40 or $50 all have US roaming included.  

Yes. So it really depends on what you intend to use it for. I've used it for MS Teams calls when the power is out or when I'm on the road, and for the most part it's great. But I wouldn't rely on it as a permanent solution because latency can be an issue, and there are just times where the connection just cuts out completely.

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Selinab - He means that when there is load you may experience slower speeds.

Selinab

Thank you! I have this plan right now 

Selinab

Not as stable? Do you mean that it would cut out? 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Your ISP invoice will probably show you how much bandwidth you use in any given month. Or the app for your router. Start there.

I wouldn't recommend going mobile only though, as it's not as stable.

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Selinab - Public Mobile supports hotspot tethering.

And the plan I would recommend would be the $34 50GB plan when Canada-US is removed on the 20th.

Also if you want, I would recommend Gl.iNet cellular wifi modem.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Selinab  You need to know how much data you use in about a month.  Can you get that info from your wifi account?

Need Help? Let's chat.