cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a new phone (bought it from someone else), but I put the old SIM in it.

simonhor1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a new phone (bought it from someone else), but I put the old SIM in it.

This message is displayed:

"SIM Not Supported. The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

What do I have to do?

Thanks !

15 REPLIES 15

@darlicious 

You are correct, my apologies. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

Ummm.....what part of my post did you not understand? If the iPhone is carrier locked you contact the provider who contacts Apple to unlock it.....or am I missing something here?

Edit:

As you said in your post....

Carrier sends an unlock request to Apple .... you log on to your Apple account or reset the phone and Apple will do the unlock for you. 

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 

I think you are not correct. When did Apple sell phones with a contract (or associated to a carrier)?  I do believe that some carriers would some how lock the phone way back when, when the first SIM was installed into any unlocked phone. It was to their best interest to lock phone, a contract, a fee to unlock, and that would supposeldy   prevent you from wandering away. 

From Apple Website. 

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier

Unlocking your iPhone means that you can use it with different carriers.

Your iPhone might be locked to your carrier. Unlocking your iPhone means that you can use it with different carriers. To contact your carrier and unlock your iPhone, use these steps.  

If you don’t want to switch carriers and your device is locked because you forgot the passcode, then you don’t need to use the steps in this article. Learn how to reset your passcode.

Apple can't unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.

Apple Stores did absolutely sell locked devices at one point.  They even activated carrier plans.

@computergeek541 

I think you are not correct. When did Apple sell phones with a contract (or associated to a carrier)?  I do believe that some carriers would some how lock the phone way back when, when the first SIM was installed into any unlocked phone. It was to their best interest to lock phone, a contract, a fee to unlock, and that would supposeldy   prevent you from wandering away. 

From Apple Website. 

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier

Unlocking your iPhone means that you can use it with different carriers.

Your iPhone might be locked to your carrier. Unlocking your iPhone means that you can use it with different carriers. To contact your carrier and unlock your iPhone, use these steps.  

If you don’t want to switch carriers and your device is locked because you forgot the passcode, then you don’t need to use the steps in this article. Learn how to reset your passcode.

Apple can't unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Apple phones sold at the Apple store ARE unlocked and have been since day one. 

This has not always been the case.  Back when carriers were still selling locked device, even a phone purchased at an Apple Store could be locked. Locked an unlocked devices had different prices and sale conditions.  If the customer chose a carrier's pricing and/or financing options, the devices was locked to the carrier during the finizalization of the transaction.  While this is no longer done with the currently sold devices, locked devices have been previously sold at flagship Apple retail locations.

@simonhor1 wrote:

Fido

Assuming the seller had the phone on their Fido account you should ask them to unlock for you. You might be able to get a Fido dealer to do for you...but not sure. Carrier sends an unlock request to Apple .... you log on to your Apple account or reset the phone and Apple will do the unlock for you. 

OR if the Fido website has a chat option, try to get them to unlock it. You need the IMEI number. If they ask why....my brother in law gave this to me and I want to it abroad so I need it unlocked (don't say...because I want to use it on another carrier!!!)

@darlicious 

Apple phones sold at the Apple store ARE unlocked and have been since day one. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Phone is locked or reported lost/stolen.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@simonhor1 

If you know the previous owner ask them to call the provider they originally got the phone from with the IMEI # and ask the provider to contact Apple to unlock the phone.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

simonhor1

Fido

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

This IMEI check may show who the carrier it is locked to. 

https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

simonhor1

How can he do that?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@simonhor1 

Here is your answer    

What iPhone is it? 4 4S 5 5S SE 6S or???

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@simonhor1 i think the old iPhone owner needs to de-register the device first 

update.. checked again myself and I think it is a carrier lock issue.  which provider it was on before?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@simonhor1 

Is your phone locked? Contact the previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Need Help? Let's chat.