cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to sms/sms to email?

thomask
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Might seem weird, but I recall long ago being able to send email to phone numbers and visa versa, I DO know I was with Bell or Rogers at the time.

So I’m wondering if PM has an equivalent of 7055551212@txt.bell.ca  or 7055551212@txt.publicmobile.ca. ?

if so… is it as I’ve stated above or…?

11 REPLIES 11

@thomask Another thought since you mentioned you are using your own domains with godaddy. Maybe you haven't setup valid, or any SPF, DKIM, DMARC DNS records to assist authoritative/anti-spoofing systems to trust mail from your domain(s). Seen this numerous times in my "day job" .

@thomask A lot of spammers target those email to SMS/MMS gateways, so probably something about the mail from Godaddy's servers are not "making the grade" with Telus's spam filters that are most definitely working overtime. Mind you I wouldn't rank hotmail hotmail too highly either hehe.

Did you open a ticket with GoDaddy?  Look like it is an issue on the GoDaddy side.

thomask
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well, I got it working…. 

I host my domains with GoDaddy, email too.  So here’s the thing…

I send an email from my GoDaddy hosted email, and I never get it.

I send an email from my wife’s hotmail account, and I get it.

any ideas why?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Send yourself a TEXT by email to 10digitnum@msg.telus.com or 10digitnum@msg.telusmobility.com. Only the first 160 characters of the body are sent I believe.

Send yourself an MMS by email to 10diginum@mms.mb.telus.com. (I found msg.koodomobile.com and mms.telusmobility.com also work...)

Files attached to emails via MMS will generally make it through up to about 500KB. JPEG images larger than that will be scaled down to something below that but still make it through. Great for your doorbell camera or webcam alerts. All MMS's received even with attachments don't come out of your data bucket, so you can creatively make use of this on limited data plans. I have my voip.ms and fongo voicemail-to-email emails sent to me this way, and the MP3 attachment is included too.

@hTideGnow wrote:

yes, the email to SMS was trick to save SMS cost back in the old days.  I am surprise they still exist now.. and exist on PM  🙂

Indeed @hTideGnow 

I was a big user of it way back when...

yes, the email to SMS was trick to save SMS cost back in the old days.  I am surprise they still exist now.. and exist on PM  🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @thomask 

Glad you asked this question - i used to do this over a decade ago with an old Bell 'pay as you go' plan when in Wi-Fi areas (to save on limited SMS's).    LOL

Never imagined the functionality still existed/was utilized today - figured it'd have been phased out.

Interesting!!

@srlawren 

Thanks to @thomask asking the question and you answering it I have learned something new today.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can "text" to an email address. Seems it forces MMS.

Yes, you can "email" to a phone number as per srlawren above.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thomask yes, it's <your 10 digit phone number>@msg.telus.com.  For reference: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Email-to-Text-SMS/m-p/63777/highli...

EDIT: for reference, you can send MMS via a different address format, though attachments may not come through.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Email-to-MMS-service/m-p/153322/hi...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.