cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$34 CAD/USD Plan - Roaming Not Working

Alxsousa5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I currently have the CAD/USD roaming plan that I activated yesterday. I just landed in Vegas & my US roaming isn't working - I received a text to buy an add on for 3GB (Which  I did). Why isnt my US roaming plan working as advertised? Am I missing something?

6 REPLIES 6

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Alxsousa5 , I think your phone is working as it should.  The Welcome to USA SMS from short code 7626 is received upon first connection to a roaming partner network.  You could not receive the text unless you did have network connection.  I have no idea why Public Mobile sends this same text to every customer even when they have US service via the plan itself or roaming add-on.  It causes unnecessary confusion.  From experiences in my recent visit to the US, I would suggest leaving the network connection on auto and let the system decide which network to connect to.  If you are having network connectivity issues for whatever reason, toggling airplane mode or phone reboot should help with establishing a network connection.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Alxsousa5   You did not need to buy the add on, that is just an automatic text that is sent when you cross the border and is rather misleading, I expect it goes back to when there were no Canada-US plans and they haven't updated it.  I would ask customer service for a refund (chat icon bottom right of this page to submit a ticket). 

@Alxsousa5 

S23 can doable automatic network connection . You should try both T-Mobile and AT&T

to change the network to manual 

• Slide two fingers downwards starting from the top the screen.
  • Tap Connections.
  • Tap Mobile networks.
  • Tap Network operators.
  • Tap the indicator next to "Select automatically" to turn off the function and wait while your mobile phone searches for networks.
  • Tap the required network.

Alxsousa5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, Roaming switch is on. I am not able to disable the automatic network selection - that option isnt available to me (Samsung S23) I tried following googles steps, but no luck.  so you can only roam on T-Mobile?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Alxsousa5 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Alxsousa5 

Please turn on data roaming to start. Then go into network settings and turn off automatic and pick T-Mobile. Then reboot. You should be up and running... assuming your phone is VoLTE ready.

Need Help? Let's chat.