Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,500 REPLIES 5,500

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@eyes it appears you have bundled services with Bell? If so, yes thats great value for 120 GB 5G on a mobile plan but its on condition of being bundled with other services so not a fair comparison to a stand-alone mobile plan

hi @eyes but do they have the Community and Oracles that you like there?? you are ready to move?? move again??

jakeoh1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I juste checked the Fizz phone plans and it will be better with my profile. I'm currently on the 34$/50 GB data plan with PM - minus 9$ in rewards that will all but disappear. However I use 10 GB max per month and do very little phone calls.

Fizz has a 21$ plan with 20 GB of data (unlimited text messages) if you are willing to pay .25$ a minute for phone calls.

Without PM rewards, this is a no-brainer for me. Hope it helps for people in the same situation that have access to Fizz. Will be porting out the four family accounts in May.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

I believe people are just reacting when they threaten to immediately leave.

After a period of sober second thought, they are likely curious to know what will happen in the next six weeks with respect to this matter and any promised enhancements to public points.

Indeed, leaving at the start of a cycle is probably ill-advised, however, maybe customers are getting huge incentives from other providers to go there, in which case, why not.

I’m still of the belief that Public Mobile is almost hoping to have those on the $13 and $15 plans leave. 

I’d say one way to stick it to them is to stick around on these plans until at least they’ve maximized whatever freebies they’ve been given or still have on their accounts.

Matty1234

Please share, interested in their excuse to dismiss your complaint. 

public_999
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

However, it's very possible many people considered their discounts when upgrading their plans and without the discounts, the plan may no longer make sense based on their usage.  When Public raised the cost of the $10 plan a few years back by 30%, many subscribers took the opportunity to upgrade to the $15 plan because for $2 more you're getting 250 mb of data. I'm sure that was the intention of the 30% increase anyways, to push people to the next level plan.  I never upgraded because I don't use the line as my daily driver and I suspect there are many more like me that held out.

Personally I think that if Public wanted to get subscribers off the legacy reward program they should have made it a condition to upgrade to their promo plans.  Then the consumer is making an informed choice.  I went through this with Freedom being the beneficiary of 35% lifetime discounts on 3 of my lines.  I eventually forfeited my discounts in order to avail myself of some of their promo plans that better suit my needs.  A win-win for both consumer and provider.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If they offered you a compromise, that's interesting. But my guess is they just gave the same answer they're giving to everybody else, which is that it was in their ToS, they can do what they want, and the action hasn't even officially taken place yet anyway, and blah blah. Surprised they responded so quickly though, considering they have 20 days to respond or whatever.

Geekedout

I just received an email from the CCTS. Enclosed in it is Public Mobile's rebuttal to my complaint!  If anyone is interested hit me up!

@wetcoaster I do know that this hits the lowest priced plans the hardest, there is no doubt about that.  I have said for a while now that it has been the lower end plans (pricing) that have taken the biggest hit over the last couple of years with no real betterment to the plans.  That is an area that doesn't get refreshed plans or more data for a bit less price. It is stagnent. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wetcoaster  your little fine print lol.. trial of a prepaid sim is totally the plan if I decide to leave. Make sure the network is good and works for me then go from there. I've already had Bell, Koodo and Virgin prior to joining PM 6 years ago. I always do my homework.. I just kinda wish I didn't have to again because I was content with PM up until this point.

Matty1234

Got my sim from Fizz today, I guess I have a month to see if Public Mobile decides to reverse this decision (renewal is April 14).

Fizz also have international roaming, so I guess that's one benefit to switching regardless of their decision. If fizz doesn't work out then I might try lucky 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about PM too much. Send your required messages out, and then go straight to CCTS.

There's a lot of evidence you can point back to, including a page that says we'd keep earning these loyalty rewards as long as we remained a customer. You can also add a screenshot of when they first introduced Public Points, and they say that it's optional to switch. Even from this latest announcement, under the section of "why am i being moved to public points", they state "to enhance our rewards offering and ensure we're providing the best possible value to our subscribers". We're objectively getting worse value from this change, so this is a lie as well.

Anyway, there's more than enough sufficient evidence out there to at least file the complaint.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Ok question time, I have read a lot of posts about people willing to pay more for same/similar services, will never use a Telus provider again and are leaving in May.  If the trust has been broken so bad why wait?  If the rewards were change to be maybe a bit closer to the original would you stay?  I am just asking because Telus knows not everyone is leaving.  If everyone has had the trust broken so bad that they can never support Telus again to make a real impact they should have ported out the day they got the message of the changes.  I know some people did, but a lot haven't.

Might not be a popular statement/question but when people are saying they will pay more and are leaving in May why even give Telus 2 more months of your money?

I help manage  a whole bunch of accounts, a fair amount of them are $13 plans. Ever since the 30% price increase (without any additional benefits) we have monitored options for these plans. I moved a few of them to Freedom at BF/BD, plus for one where usage changed considerably the timing was perfect for the BC port promotion. The others would have stayed at PM "long term", but now we just can't justify paying full price for extremely little included features, when these people are already seriously scrambling to keep a roof over their head and get a proper meal a day. We will use up remaining available funds and data and will port out as soon as we are faced with paying the full $13...

Those plans were great for the according subscriber group at $10 bucks when they first came out. While some people downgraded their existing PM plans, I ported several lines from SpeakOut because of better value (for some going back there is a real consideration now). I believe most of my referrals would still have switched if the $10 had been excluded from the rewards program, similar to the 10day plans in the plan builder. I argue that, had PM taken that route when launching the $10 plan, there wouldn't have been the need for the 30% increase two years ago (which arguably was to offset all the $0 payments that this plan made way easier). And, if they didn't see a 100% price increase now (again, with no additional perks), there would be less disillusionment and people would be more likely to stay here. So, technically, Public Mobile is actually punishing these vulnerable clients the second time, for something that could have been forseen and mitigated before the launch of the plan. It might not have been as popular, though.

I gather that, unless someone is in the situation themselves they don't understand what it means, but I say it again: This is hitting the low cost low usage plans the most. Trying to bully them to take this lying down and discouraging them from porting to a better value option is disrespectful. (Yes, of course, it is a step up to pay $119 when your yearly bill used to be $72, but as of May, PM is going to be $156. So paying $47 more, but still saving $37... in fact if you compare that $119 by features (unlimited Talk & Text, 1.25GB at 4G), it would actually be $300 at PM as of May. For these people the network is similar if not better at the other provider, so that is not an argument.)

Markaps

Stranger things have happened!

Max1288

Yes i have also got this. It seems to be a copied and pasted message after all. Good idea to reply that i will try.

giaboni

I received the exact same reply from Telus (Public Mobile) regarding my CCTS complaint and in their reply to the CCTS they refer back to their Service Terms (see screenshot) but I replied back to them and I CC'd the CCTS saying that the Service Terms are NOT the issue, the REAL issue is they MISLED their customers and LIED to their customers where they CLEARLY said we will have "more opportunities to earn" yet on average everyone will lose on average about 70% (in my case 80%) in rewards dollar value by month by going to the new rewards program in May 2024.

92000092635207.jpg

JDBlue1966

Thats no good. Thanks for the information. Back to the drawing board.

Max1288

Like you can't call and text outside of their app. Is a VOIP service.

JDBlue1966

What you mean everything happens?

Max1288

The thing is that everything happens in their application, it's impossible to text or call otherwise. This is turn me off. This has some disadvantages, you won't be able to call in your car among others.

ily

I managed to find the table. Thank you 😉

JDBlue1966

Anyone think this provider is good? Fact it includes roaming, appeals to me. We go away a few times a year.IMG_8384.jpeg

Max1288

Guys, Telus answer me about the complaint Here is part of it what do you think about that?

Public Mobile is of the opinion that the complaint should be considered outside the scope of jurisdiction under article 4.3 of the Code of Procedure since the customer contests a change to the
rewards program, which is subject to Public Mobile's policies and procedures. Furthermore, the necessary notice of more than 30 days has been given, and the customer has not experienced any impact so far,
as the change is scheduled to occur in May.

Public Mobile is awaiting the CCTS' decision regarding the objection to this issue.

Sincerely,

@Michael6666 wrote:

The numbers are pretty tight, depending though, I may still just go on over to fizz for the pricing stability guarantee. 

@Michael6666 Too bad they aren't country wide. They look like a viable alternative for some.

Michael6666

This makes a ton of sense. 

It has simply pushed a lot of people to look at other providers, I hadn't even considered any in years as I saw this benefit as long term and my loyalty was bought.

The numbers are pretty tight, depending though, I may still just go on over to fizz for the pricing stability guarantee. 

Michael6666

It depends on your total account spending. And it's per line. 

The more lines you have the quicker you get the rewards (it's based on cost and community interactions). I've had internet for 2 years and I'm at 5$ per month for that.

My 3 discount slots are open for mobile, I'll report back when I know. I think I remember seeing the table on their website which I wouldn't be allowed to post here

ily

Do you know how long it takes to get the $6 loyalty discount?

@Michael6666 Thanks, but FIZZ isn't in the Maritimes.

@Wolfcore wrote:

My philosophy is to always take some time to breathe. Relax a bit, let things settle. 

@Wolfcore Something that took me a lot of years to learn.

Michael6666

Fizz, after 6$ loyalty discount will get you down to 27$ (33$ until you get that loyalty discount) per month for 20gb Can US. This data will rollover and you can change to a lower tier plan and keep that rollover data (even a plan with no data can use that rollover data, for two additional cycles!). The plan price is also contractually fixed as long as you don't change plan! Refreshing no? 

You can also transfer data through the community for those that are just a little short that month.

You also get customer service through chat. 

I have them for internet and I can guarantee you that if this goes through, 2 of my 3 accounts are instantly moved, there's just no advantage to stay at PM anymore. 

Need Help? Let's chat.