Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,600 REPLIES 5,600

hi @Patrick_PM yes, the main loss is loyalty

but.. add back 10 points in anniversary date, so, that helps around $0.8 per month 

Patrick_PM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I figure this was coming when Public Mobile launched the points reward system over 2 years ago. It didn’t make much sense for them to continue running 2 reward system concurrently. I’m somewhat surprised it took them this long.

I’m currently on their $40 plan and under their old reward system, I’m getting the following discounts each month:

$5 - Loyalty (over 5 years)

$2 - Autopay / Subscriber

$2 - Referral

So under the points system, I think I will be getting the following

2 points - 5% on $40 plan

2 points - 2 referrals

0.83 points - 10 points for anniversary

If my understanding of the point system is correct, my discount drops from $9 per month to $4.83 per month?

The largest hit under the “new” point system is Public Mobile lessened the recognition of customers who have been with them for years. You will get 10 points whether you reached your 1st year anniversary or 10th year anniversary.

Under the old system, the rewards were far more generous for “loyalty” with $12 credit after first year then $24 credit after 2 years and so on until your 5th anniversary where it is capped at $60 credit

EdN
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Loyalty to Public Mobile means nothing.

If you don't have a lot of referral points look elsewhere YMMV

LTD2023
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry..no one is exempt. They are changing everyone over to points.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Sue-s1   Sorry, starting sometime in May/2024, no-one will be exempt from being (mandatorily) converted to the new points system.

hi @Wolfcore call it years of experience and have knowledge in business and a bit on the legal side. 

Consumers always think they have all the right in the world.  They do, they have the right to complain, make noise.  And businesses always have their legal right to make change to the business as well.  

Also remember, rewards system is not within   CRTC mobile guidelines. The only guidelines from CRTC related with affordable plans is thay Postpaid providers have to offer the  $15 plan.  Remember, postpad.  Prepaid providers dont even have this obligation

It is a harsh fact to swallow.  I want you all to win too as I suffer as much as everyone here. But I don't put my hope high on something we have no legal ground on 

Sue-s1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've with them well before they introduced the new points.  Would that mean anyone before that would be exempt?

iPhone_PM_User

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/40-4GB-Plan-getting-10-month-price-INCREA...

search the web for public mobile ccts 1600 complaints and you'll see coverage

EdN

Maybe under the legacy plan but without that its just plain jane pedestrian 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Sue-s1 wrote:

I take it that the rewards we have to reduce our monthly bill now goes up...

@Sue-s1   Unfortunately, yes.  Depending on when you activated prior to the introduction of the new points system in late Jan/2022, your bill will now $4-7 more each cycle.  The new points will give you 5% back of payments made to your account, however, these have to manually redeemed when you have accumulated 15 points ($15) as an account credit to be used for a future bill payment.  Or less amounts of points can be used to purchase the ridiculously priced domestic data or minutes.

@Tx88 wrote:

Better to submit an easy complaint that takes less than 10 minutes for free

I disagree. The reason why that issue from 2018 was overturned was because WE THE PEOPLE filed complaints with PM and CCTS. This is the only way.

@EdN the end result is more people will know the name Public Mobile.  They google it and find  out PM has good and cheap plans with the Public Points.  So PM will be the winner.  Sad fact but true.

No, I dont like the change.  But old fellow like me knows how business works 

@iPhone_PM_User wrote:

The previous thread when Public Mobile tried to force a plan increase in 2018 saw 1,435 replies. This one is getting close

If I may ask, how do you know this? Is there a link that shows how many claims have been made against PM for this action?

@EdN wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a way to submit something similar to a class action lawsuit against Public Mobile to CCTC so all of us don't have to submit individual complaints?

We have to follow the rules of the CCTS. We can not "class action" a complaint. Remember, each complaint that goes though is a $140 charge to Public Mobile to resolve. The last time, 1600 complaints went through and cost Public Mobile $240,000 in fees. 

EdN

I guess most people don't even know Public Mobile exists.  What if a journalist took up the cause and wrote a headline like "Public Mobile shafting their customers, especially those that can least afford it"

iPhone_PM_User

The previous thread when Public Mobile tried to force a plan increase in 2018 saw 1,435 replies. This one is getting close

Tx88

Better to submit an easy complaint that takes less than 10 minutes for free

Frenchonionsoup

Well this is disappointing. That means I actually get less of a discount after this switch.

hi @EdN class action, you need to find a lawyer first

but carriers and businesses have all the right to change rewards system.  My Starbucks changed the rewards star and no winning class action anywhere

it is not what we like, but doesn't mean you just can change it because you don't like it

Sue-s1

I take it that the rewards we have to reduce our monthly bill now goes up...

iPhone_PM_User

This is my official complaint to Public Mobile. I oppose the forced switch to the new points program. We joined this service because the company guaranteed rewards as long as we stayed as active customers. This is now a bait and switch. 

Complaint form to CCTS that we just filled out: https://customervoice.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?lang=en-us&id=M-0t2FuABEmsWJ5uVT7p8NMdJN...

EdN

Does anyone know if there is a way to submit something similar to a class action lawsuit against Public Mobile to CCTC so all of us don't have to submit individual complaints?

iPhone_PM_User

everyone needs to file a complaint with Public Mobile here on the forums first, then complain to the CCTS!!!

https://customervoice.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?lang=en-us&id=M-0t2FuABEmsWJ5uVT7p8NMdJN...

EdN

PM should give the option of points vs data for the enforced migration.  PM charges $15 per 1gb of data as add on.  I'll take 450 points over the 30gb data offered that   I cannot use.

@Stelawrat If it was deleted that was a PM staff member as Oracles can't delete anything.  If it has been deleted or moved there is no way for you to see it even if a link was provided.  

Ok time to take a break from here for awhile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Truth be told @hTideGnow  @ShawnC13 , and others who are frustrated, I fully understand why folks are pissed off.

Name-calling is completely inappropriate - however directing ones comments at J_PM is completely appropriate   (no offense to J_PM)   so long as they re not personal.

While she may be just the "messenger", she's the ONLY employee of Public Mobile that paying customers can engage in any meaningful way on this forum - the only way to make one's comments known to the entity known as Public Mobile.   Sure, they could engage the customer support agents, but we all know that's a useless exercise with their canned responses.   Further, that's not their role and it's more account-specific rather than policy driven.

So I get the frustration and anger, but yes, name-calling and making it personal is completely and utterly inappropriate.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Y4J259 wrote:

PM need to make this right. If they're upping old rewards customers monthly fees by $7, they should offer a meaningful gift. 

My suggestion would be that those on $34 plans get $29 offers (same plan). Those on $15 plans get it for $10 etc. 

@Y4J259   Unfortunately, PM dropping the price for the $15 plan to $10 is never going to happen as they increased the price of their original $10 plan with very basic features (50 mins/in/out and 50 texts) by 30% a couple of years ago.  Actually I came to PM because of that plan (but upgraded to $15 plan shortly after).  However, I agree with your first suggestion which should still net PM a good profit.

Stelawrat

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Stelawrat wrote:

Okay... so I see that my post reviewing other carriers was deleted, or maybe it's there & I'm blind as a bat! 😧

I know that there is a way to see your own deleted posts, with the reason why, but I can't seem to find that either. I'm normally more adept than this, trust me. 😛

Would appreciate it if someone could please post that link to deleted posts. Thank you. o/

I am not sure what post you are referring to but posting/advertising other 3rd party services are not allowed.  Thati s right out of the Community guidelines

Thanks Shawn!

I thought the way I did it wasn't against tos, i.e., I didn't link any of them, didn't indicate any price points. Only gave a summary of their customer reviews, which honestly, were all pretty bad. 

The only links I included were to the BBB, reddit, that kind, which I thought would be okay. 

I know you must be fed up with this whole thing & appreciate your patience. Can you please link, or tell me how to see my deleted posts / reason why spot? I can't remember how to do that & it doesn't seem to be listed in the help topics. 

I'm going off now, so no rush! 

Well said @dabr . Honest , putting those offensive/inappropriate tags really sidetracked the whole discussion.  We are upset with the decision, but should not upset the staffs or Oracles.  Dont shoot the messengers.. LoL

@Stelawrat wrote:

Okay... so I see that my post reviewing other carriers was deleted, or maybe it's there & I'm blind as a bat! 😧

I know that there is a way to see your own deleted posts, with the reason why, but I can't seem to find that either. I'm normally more adept than this, trust me. 😛

Would appreciate it if someone could please post that link to deleted posts. Thank you. o/

I am not sure what post you are referring to but posting/advertising other 3rd party services are not allowed.  Thati s right out of the Community guidelines

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.