cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4/3GS/3G

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am posting this as there still seems to be some confusion with regards to Apple iPhones and there ability to get data on PM.  We are able to get data without much hassle when it comes to the i4S and newer models of iPhones because they can update to iOS 8.1.3 and above but when it comes to the older siblings it is a different method to get data to work and that is the reason for this post.

I have personally used this method and it has worked for me but i will make a disclaimer  USE AT OWN RISK!!!

- you will need to use the iPhone you are trying to get to connect to data and connect it to wifi.

- go to the website www.unlockit.co.nz using the safari browser on the iPhone and you should see this        page.

IMG_0126.PNG

- then go to create apn. 

IMG_0127.PNG

- there you will select canada and public mobile and then create which will bring you to this page.

IMG_0128.PNG

- install the apn and voila your data should connect.

You will also see a APN icon on one of your app pages as thats your apn settings so don't delete it until you are done using PM data.

The only CAVEAT is that your MMS (pic text) will not work with this method but at least your data will. If anybody has anything to add to this pls comment below as this method has worked for me in the past and as always with any software...

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!

36 REPLIES 36

stormflora
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I just wanted to report in and say that this method worked for me on my iPhone 4S running an old iOS 6.x. I tried following the PM's instructions detailed here, but they didn't work for me at all.

Thank you OP.

jwen67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have iphone 4, iOS 7.1.2, no data, APN automatic set to isp.telus.com. 

Browser unlockit.co.nz, tried to create APN, but the app suddenly closed as soon as i click the country dropdown. any idea?

vrance

Hi @Bennyh,please try to delete the profile in your iphone setting and do the unlockit.co.nz again.  Sometimes, the profile is not working after you have switched the SIM card.

Bennyh

Hi,

I have iPhone 4 (OS v 7.1.2)  from Telus. I had problem enabeling data after switching to PM. I came across your post, I followed the instruction I downloaded and install unlockit and I had my data successfuly activated for a while. but then for unknown reasonI lost my data again and cannot re-activate my data using this method. would you be able to suggest a solution?  

Thanks

@burkely,

Yes ! That why you configure your "Internet tethering" setting to isp.mb.com

DK
And for editing of apn on iOS you will need the latest iOS installed or at least 8.1.3 I believe.

DK
Yes it does

burkely
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@Cyber does PM allow tethering?

@Abygael1984,

In order to have functionnal MMS and DATA (internet), you need to configure your APN.

If it's not possible to edit your APN, then you need to update your iOS version to 8.3 (current version from Apple).

Step-by-step APN configuration :

English version

1. Insert your Public Mobile SIM card into your unlocked iPhone. 
2. Tap “Settings”
3. Tap “Cellular”
4. Tap “Cellular Data Network”
5. Change your APN values to match the table below:

*Only update the fields that are circled. Leave every other field empty

iPhoneMMS.png

Internet tethering could be also shown as Personal Hotspot

tarnyc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The settings for iPhones are in the same link that @DK provided.

Abygael1984

I have an iPhone 4S

DK
This is for android.

Depends on your phone. What phone do you have?

Abygael1984

How do I know what to write??

DK
Check you apn settings and configure them so the phone knows the path to follow to use mobile data.

Abygael1984

Activated my plan yesturday, but my data still aint working... Any ideas?

Thanks!

DK
If you have an i4 or older you can use this link and get your data working!

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/iPhone-4-3GS-3G/m-p/13467

Litvinau_A

@JohnVos,

For new customers, please note that Public Mobile is currently in BETA.

They are temporarily accepting new customers only by invitation.

To join the BETA phase, you must register here : http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/beta

You will be contacted by email within a few weeks. Once you receive your invitation code, you will be able to subscribe on Public Mobile and order a free of charge SIM card.

For now, there is no faster way to subscribe on Public Mobile. They are in BETA to make sure everything works perfectly before the official launch.

If I answered your question, please accept my post as the solution.

JohnVos

DK
Glad it is working for you. I think iMsg is a big part of the apple experience for a lot of people so imho it's good to have it working.

Litvinau_A

@DK@hunnybunny@CyberI got iPhone 4s. First 2-3 days i was receiving the text that PM doesn't offer International messaging. It stopped after. iMessage works no problem ever since the first day.

I noticed that it works the best when you and your friend both have iMessage emails connected to the Contact. But even without email, mine works good. Knock on the wood. Three times.

Have an awesome weekend!

DK
Yes I agree with hunnybunny in that they should make an exception for iMsg with regards to the one number required for it to work as there are lots of apple users out there and that pretty much is a stumbling block.

hunnybunny
Lol yes I know @Cyber. That's one reason why I asked for them to add it, in the ideas section. 😀

@hunnybunny,

iMessage requires international SMS.

Public Mobile does not offer SMS outside Canada.

hunnybunny

I have used this as well. Works very well and makes life easier. My only thing is no imessage. which is strange as mine did eventually register my number but than i had to take my sim out and now it wont do it again.

DK
I forgot to add that if you are using data you should be able to use third party apps such as whatsapp or Facebook messenger to send pics as long as the recipient is using the same app on the other end.

DK
When you go under settings/general/about what is listed under version?

If it is 8.1.3 or higher follow the link benwarez listed.

Hello @MrsBlondin,

To access DATA, you have to configure your APN setting in your iPhone.

Follow these instructions to change your APN settings:

1. Insert your Public Mobile SIM card into your unlocked iPhone. 
2. Tap “Settings”
3. Tap “Cellular”
4. Tap “Cellular Data Network”
5. Change your APN values to match the table below:

*Only update the fields that are circled. Leave every other field empty

iPhoneMMS.png

MrsBlondin
What's the link to the downloadable program to get data on a iPhone 4?
Need Help? Let's chat.