cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 4 and public mobile

alannasonfire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there,

My mom and step dad just switched to PM and have iphone 4's... The data is not working on their phones. Any ideas? 

Port seemed to be successful, ported from Telus 2 days ago. 

22 REPLIES 22

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Both options are great. Chris yours is good for the more technical folks in the community.

Chris_M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

total understand, I just prefer not to use a third party website to setup my phone

imm1304

@Chris_M, the www.unlockit.co.nz method gets the job done almost always, but with minimal effort.  It essentially does the same thing as you mention.. pushes APN profile/settings in an xml file to the phone.    

Chris_M

The only way to manually set APN on an iphone 4/4s without jailbreaking the phone is to use Apple Configurator software.  If you currently own a MAC it is available here.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

and here are the instuctions to set up a new APN profile to then install on your iphone 4/4s

http://www.imore.com/manually-set-iphone-ipad-carrier-apn-iphone-configuration-utility

Another option would be to see if the apple store can help you with this at their genius bar, as without a jailbreak or thsis softeware manual entry of the correct APN is not possible on iphone 4/4s

@handreaux wrote:

If this helps any... I did try the unlock website but it only worked after I plugged my iphone into my computer and activated it in iTunes (not sure why I had to do a new activation on it) but now I have service. Iphone 4 on old iOs 7.1.1

That had to be done so that the phone could check with the Apple service to see if your phone was allowed to use a Public sim card and whether the phone was unlocked or not.  After connecting and activating in iTunes, you should have got the Congratualations,your phone is unlocked message on the computer screen.

handreaux
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If this helps any... I did try the unlock website but it only worked after I plugged my iphone into my computer and activated it in iTunes (not sure why I had to do a new activation on it) but now I have service. Iphone 4 on old iOs 7.1.1

ruvion

@imm1304 Thank you!

For the record my for is a carrier unlocked iPhone 4 with the latest software update (that is iOS 7.1.2)
that did not have access to data after the transfer.
After the above website's APN configuration it now has access to data!

ferrarelli

I went to plug it into my apple computer and was about to factory reset. It just picked up the network and now works. Thanks for reaching out MyzMc.

MyzMc
I don't think the website has anything to do with service. All it does is install a profile which seems to set most (but not all?) APN settings to get data enabled. It seems to take precedence over the phone default settings. When you say no service, are you referring to cell service or just data? If cell service, then I am not sure. I thought there would be only 2 possibilities: 1. You get an invalid sim card error indicating you have a locked phone on a non-PM network. 2. You get service (either with an unlocked phone or a locked Telus phone). I have a locked iphone 4 with Telus and I could immediately get cell/text working without any additional work except putting in a PM sim card (one that was activated etc.)

ferrarelli

I'm having a similar issue setting up an iphone 4, iOS is 7.1.2. It is saying "no service". Nothing works at all.

I've confirmed the SIM card works in another iphone 6. All the features work.

I've called my old service provider and confirmed the phone is indeed unlocked.

I attempted to import the APN settings using www.unlockit.co.nz.

I cannot find the mechanism to toggle 3G, although I've heard that's an option that could resolve it?

Any help is appreciated.

MyzMc

Nobody seems to have any clear rules when it comes to iPhone. 

From what I've picked up is:

- If your phone is locked, you won't see any APN settings no matter what phone/iOS version you have.

- If your phone is unlocked and you have iOS 7.1.2 (iPhone 4), then you still can't see any APN settings and thus need to use the website method just to get data enabled.

- If your phone is iPhone 5 or later (maybe with corresponding latest supported iOS), your phone will autodetect your APN settings (but only if you have an unlocked phone?).  If your phone is locked with Telus, PM sim card will still work but I am not sure if APN settings will automatically update to PM.  Otherwise, you may still need to use website method.

I have transferred 2 iphone 4, and will try later an iphone 4s and 6s so I will learn more about the nuances.

tqlam

I didn't have to do any settings on my iphone 5 and 6, and everything works.  But I noticed both only allow edit personal hotspot.

imm1304

You're welcome!  Enjoy!

alannasonfire

Thanks @imm1304 🙂 All fixed

Rockdaddy22
Software update has solved it for many others.

bplus
Thanks @Rockdaddy22. I still only get the 1 apn field. I'll try doing a software update later and see if that helps. Not a big deal. Sorry again to be off topic all.

Rockdaddy22
If not, you might have to delete a profile, I've seen it with people coming from Wind.
Settings
General
Profiles
If any, delete profiles and reboot.
@bplus

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The 6S should automatically get the settings without having to go to the website to get the apn settings.

bplus
Ah I see. I tried that and noticed it goes to sb.mb.com, which is what I use because I get faster speeds. But I need to change to isp.mb.com if I want to tether. My iPhone 6s only allows me to enter settings for hotspot and not the other fields. Is this just the way it is? (Sorry to be slightly off topic)

imm1304

@bplus, older iOS's that are on iphone 4/4S don't allow manual entry of APN settings.  

imm1304

Hi @alannasonfire!

Go to www.unlockit.co.nz from safari in their phones

Select public mobile settings and follow the prompts to install the APN settings onto the phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.