cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usaged

Nancy2b
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Data is consistently being used around 12:30am when I am at home on wifi.  This has put be at 75% of my data usage.  Why and what is causing the data to be used when I am on wifi?

20 REPLIES 20

@erickburn wrote:

Sorry for intruding 

@erickburn   I thought you and OP was the same person, or family members.. cos OP was completely quiet since.  LoL

@erickburn- No need for an apology. Maybe the first person is following all of this what with likely getting notifications for every response. The confusing part was that you were replying to posts that were replies to the first person.

erickburn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks I will try this.

Sorry for intruding 

@erickburn wrote:

The 3.52mb, .54mb, 3.57mb and 1.5mb on July 19, 18, 17 and 16.

It’s around 3-4mb every day, which is over 100mb per month.

@erickburn   It is a buffer that the system take whenever the cellular data is turned on.  I believe the exact size should be 5.293 Mb

Check this from a discovery by @Anonymous 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Just-added-200mb-add-on-data-and-it-used-5-293mb-of-data/m-p/327652/highlight/true#M166640

Also, the other daily usage could be from some app that needs to grab data or sync with server daily

I would say it is acceptable.  If you are really annoyed by it, disable Mobile Data when you don't need it

Also, you can do a test. 

1. Turn off Mobile Data before you go to bed. 

2.  The next morning when you are ready, reset the iPhone data counter (go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics.)

3. Turn on Mobile data for 10 mins  (Make note of the start time)

4. Then turn Mobile data off  (Make note of the ending time)

5. Check your iPhone data counter and see which app used data in the 10 mins and how much

6. Check back My Account - Usage History, for the exact 10 mins duration and see how much data consumed   

(not sure how quick the data page update now on the My Account, used to be a lag of 12 hours.. so, it might not be on the My Account immediately, might have to wait)

Compare the phone data with the PM usage log and let see what exact number you got out of it

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@erickburn- This is a bit messy as you intruded on another thread and are replying to replies to the original person.

Do you have wifi assist on? Settings/Mobile Data/Wi-fi assist. Do you leave Cellular Data on all the time?

It sounds like some app sync-ing updating for the small amount of data.

I'm not sure about the timestamps with the new system. The old one used to update every 12 hours or so.

erickburn

The 3.52mb, .54mb, 3.57mb and 1.5mb on July 19, 18, 17 and 16.

It’s around 3-4mb every day, which is over 100mb per month.

@erickburn 

you meant the 0.0x Mb of data every morning??

erickburn

I am on iPhone 

The data usage happens every day around the same time

erickburn

0D717F29-E65E-47AA-900E-239757D6A30B.jpeg

4619E1D8-EAB0-4329-B4EF-5161DB740CA3.jpeg

73F35858-993C-43AE-9394-8E7948AE9A80.png

@erickburn   You mentioned they took more data of your account then you actually used

Can you show us some more details?

First are you on Android or iPhone?  Let us know and can advise what to do to compare

erickburn

I agree. Please help us

erickburn

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not help

erickburn

Thanks for the suggestion but this did not help

erickburn

We did this and it did not help

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Nancy2b 

Check to see if you have wifi signal or LTE after 12:30am?

Try rebooting the modem or router by unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging  it back.

Try resetting your wifi on your phone. 

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

I've been seeing this problem for a long time on ALL our phones (5). VERY Frustrating as it whittles away data. For those with data add-ons or low data, this is not right.

@Timer wrote:

@Nancy2b 

check out your device apps turn off background.

App background data/internet use would not explain why data is being used while connected to Wi-Fi.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Nancy2b 

check out your device apps turn off background.

erickburn

I have the same problem as well as other family members that are on PM.

We used way more data then we actually did.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Make sure to disable Wifi Assist in your phones settings. See if that makes a difference.

Need Help? Let's chat.