cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Data Speed

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Having an issue that voice, and text (and picture messaging) are working while roaming in the USA on the data/voice/text add on package.  The data is really slow.

Some other background is the phone supports the cellular bands in the USA (like LTE/5G/2G), roaming is on, APN settings are for public mobile, and purchasing a US Data add-on or package

Did connect to T-mobile and using their network as suggested by @dust2dust  - have not played around with changing to APN to t-mobile. 

Any other suggestions or maybe its reverting to 2G data

10 REPLIES 10

Another customer was finding an oddity. They were saying that when they turned on wifi they could make calls. ?? I was trying to get them to nail this down but they haven't come back yet. Do you know if your phone mentions volte or vowifi in the specs?

YVR

It just very slow data.  Voice using calling apps are so choppy its not even worth trying.  

Alexandf

@YVR 

will not works right, open ticket with PM support and ask them to refund.

At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Once ticket is submitted,(envelope icon on the top right) CS_Agent will reply you there.

@ZuckMark- What does that have to do with the question at hand?

@YVR- Slow data? Or any data? I wonder if you might be getting the old 2G Edge data. And looking around I see that even T-Mobile 2G is intended to be shut down the end of this year.

Adding - and there was one little sentence in the wikipedia thing I found saying something Android 12 stopping supporting 2G for security reasons.

YVR

Hello @esjliv 

Good suggestions, have tried this rebooting and did not seem to work.  Will redo the network settings and will try in a different part of the city later.

@YVR   I suggest you to try to just connect to AT&T for the LTE network, or still connect to T-Mobile but fix the network type to LTE only.  Yes, you won't get voice calls when you do that.  Workaround is to use a VoIP app like TextNow to call your phone and check voicemail to see if anyone called you.  Or just change it back to T-Mobile with 4G/3G/2G settings when you need voice or expecting calls.  It is not an ideal workaround, but hope this get better data speed for you.  

YVR

@softech 

Have tried with Automatic and its slow.  It could be an area that does not have great T-mobile coverage.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

This coverage map is not that helpful since it seems to say that its great everywhere!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@YVR  - have you try to restart your phone to see if that helps? I know speeds test improve quite a bit when a phone is rebooted, it if hasn't been for some time.

Even a reset of the network settings wouldn't hurt.

Perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, VPN and APN settings, and connected Bluetooth devices that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@YVR   If you let the network type stays with Automatic or 5G/4G/3G/2G option, the phone should connect to LTE for data and text  and will switch to 2G when you are on voice calls.  It should be automatic

You can try to change the network type to LTE only and see if it works well with data (but you won't be receiving voice call).  Also for testing, you can try to connect to AT&T and see if data speed is good.  Again, you won't be getting voice calls at AT&T should have fully decommissioned the 3G network which our voice needs

And the T-Mobile coverage could be different in different area.  So, maybe you can try the phone in different area of the city and might get better result

Need Help? Let's chat.