Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Aren't the symptons of a stuck port the number continues to work on the old carrier but not on the new PM sim?

@oncall wrote:

@jp2 they are both working with the same number (my old one) at the moment.  

I can't find the page that the Public Mobile text is trying to get me to go to and fill out the form.

Sounds like a stuck port - you need to contact the moderator team (=Public Mobile employees) so that they can take care of it.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, phone number, PIN, detailed problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

loran123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same thing happen to me, basically you need to contact a representative in a provate message because your port wasn't done successfully, they will then complete the port for you and advise your old company who may take some time to disconnect your line. You'll notice that incoming calls are not coming in to your public mobile line but you can make outgoing calls with your number showing as caller id

jp2

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the issue is. I didn't even know it was possible to have the same number working with 2 separate providers at the same time. Usually when you port your old number and it is complete your old providers sim will stop working and the PM sim with start working. 

To get further assistance you can wait for another community member to assist you or contact the mods using private message. 

oncall

@jp2 they are both working with the same number (my old one) at the moment.  

I can't find the page that the Public Mobile text is trying to get me to go to and fill out the form.

jp2

Your PM sim works with the number you want but your old provider still has the same number? 

Who sent you the text about activation? PM?

oncall

After activating and switching over my phone number from my old provider last night, I received a text saying that I need to complete the "Sim and Activation Online Form" (which I can't find according to the instructions in the text, or google).

I did log into my account and under "Plans and Add-Ons" -> "Change Phone Number" I put in my number and it rejected it.

Currently my phone number works with my new Public Mobile SIM, but my old provider doesn't have a record of the switch on their end apparently.

loran123

You would have to get a public mobile sim card though, do not disconnect your other line until number is ported

loran123

You can port any line as long as it is active.

@danlee wrote:

Can I move a prepaid sim card from another service provider???

No you need a Public Mobile SIM card, but during activation you can port in your number from your previous prepaid provider.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can I move a prepaid sim card from another service provider???

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You could also pay bills via 611 with vouchers or a credit card. 

srlawren

@mimmowrote:

also typically best to start a new thread.

@mimmo great advice! Or, at the very least: if you're going to reply to an old thread, don't reply to an old thread that has aboslutely nothing to do with your issue or question.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

hi @chriatina  can you provide details on what your issue is?

there are no real bills at PM.  you simply loginto self serve before your due date and make a manual payment or signup for autopay to receive a $2/month discount.

also typically best to start a new thread.

chriatina

I want to pay my bill

@Spiker You will be able to transfer your Rogers number. I think this is useful reading before you begin that process: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Spiker

Hi I alos want to port my Rogers number , Were you eventually successfull? 

janos4591

solved just had to wait

janos4591

Hello I just transfered over from Bell

I can make calls but not recieve calls

internet works fine

please advise next steps or verify everything is setup correct on the account?

thanks

srlawren

@Let-In I guess you were a legacy plan holder.  Do you have any specific questions?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Let-In
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was a long time Public Mobile customer and would like to return but find the self service set a bit confusing

Rockdaddy22

Thank you for the detailed update 🙂

matbasm

Welcome to Public Mobile @ranchero76 !

ranchero76

Thanks for reply! It seems everything works fine now. BTW after reading about some problems with wrong number been ported, I've put the same number (which I've been porting) in secondary phone number field (the field is mandatory and can not be left blank).
Regarding the data - it didn't start work automatically. I've checked my phone - it was compatible. Then I've tried APN settings with bunch of numbers (found in the old post here), it didn't work either. It turned out that only one APN field needs to be filled - (Data APN - sp.mb.com), the rest just leave blank. The phone - old Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337M). Now everything works! Even shows LTE speed at some reason )))
http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019

wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm trying to open Public Mobile account (don't have one yet) and port my old Bell number to this account at the same time. Public Mobile asks me to provide

Old Service Provider Security PIN, but I don't think I ever had one. What should I do in this case? Thanks.

You can almost always just skip the old account PIN for the purposes of porting.  The official rules say that the only one piece of information from the account of the originating provider is required to verify authorization for a phone number transfer. Ideally, account number is what should be used.

Bell sometimes holds off releasing phone numbers to a new carrier until after contacting the leaving customer.  They do this to try to convince the customer to stay.

matbasm

Hi @ranchero76.  When doing a port, you do not necessary need to fill in all of the information.  The more the better, but it can be done if some information is not known/not applicable.  As for the data, it should usually start right away.  Did you check your self serve account to make sure that data shows up in your plan?  Also, are you sure that your phone is  compatible with Public Mobile network?  If so, have you checked your APN settings?   You can check out the following knowledge base article.  It covers most of the issues to check when data does not work.

If you still have no solution after all that, do contact moderators team via private message, and explain the issue.  Be sure to include account number and your account PIN.

Click here to send them a private message.
Information regarding the moderators team can be found by following this link.

They should be back on-line at 9am (eastern)

Lastly, you have posted to a very old topic.  You should always start a new topic here in the community for a new question/issue.  That way your question will be more visible and you will get a quicker reply.

ranchero76

Hi everyone! I'm trying to open Public Mobile account (don't have one yet) and port my old Bell number to this account at the same time. Public Mobile asks me to provide

Old Service Provider Security PIN, but I don't think I ever had one. What should I do in this case? Thanks.
Sorry if this question was asked 1000 times before 🙂
Update - I left PIN field blank, and it seems it went through - account activated, I can call, will find out tomorrow if people can call me as well :). But I have no data connection so far.

koimr1

@sarasalhi: Good stuff! Welcome to PM! 🙂

I would actually recommend for step 4 that you take the PM-provided number first - verify that all is working (send receive texts/calls and data works) THEN go back to Self-Serve and port your real number.

This way in case anything goes wrong during the activation you still have your previous carrier to use whereas if you run into any issues during activation you could get stuck with a half-completed port.

sarasalhi

I recently switched from Rogers to Public Mobile and the process couldn't have been easier. It took me in total less than 10 minutes. My phone worked right away and I was able to make and receive calls, although I heard this isn't the case with everyone. Here's what I did step by step:

1. I ordered a sim card from here: https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart (alternatively you could buy it from Walmart). It takes about 10 days for the sim card to arrive.

2. I kept my original contract with Rogers running, which you need to do for this to work.

3. Then I started filling my information on: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ For this, you will need your current contract with your provider (in my case: Rogers)

4. When you get to the 2nd tab, choose 'transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public or another provide'

5. Make sure the new sim card is in your phone before you activate, otherwise it will give you an error.

*I suggest doing this at night when you know you won't need your phone for at least a couple of hours, in case the activation process takes long.

mimmo

@Mkat APN are the setting to get data working.

Search pm-guide (without the -) and son and you will find a good post with details.

The network is the same as Telus so quality wise it is the same. 

If you look through the latest topics you will get an understanding of the common  issues people face. Autopay /cc failure and password reset seem to be the most common atm. They can be mitigated. 

Everything is done via the forum

Typically issues once mods are involved are solved within the day. 

Just remember there is a risk of having no service so if it's a work phone it might not be recommended, but also remember people come to forums asking for help and rarely to say all is good.

Need Help? Let's chat.