cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer a call in progress to another phone number?

GadgetGuy1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to transfer a phone call that I receive on a Public Mobile number to another telephone number? Sometimes I receive a call on my mobile phone (Public Mobile) and after speaking for a while I decide I want to continue that call on my home phone (landline) number (due to poor reception or low battery etc.) - can I transition the mobile phone call in progress to another phone number?

In my research it looks like this function has to be supported by the carrier so I'm asking the community if this capability (transfer a call in progress to another phone number) is possible with Public Mobile and if yes, is there a guide I can follow to tell me how to do this?

NOTE:  I am not talking about porting a number into or away from Public Mobile - this is about whether it is possible to transition an active call to another telephone number to continue the conversation with the caller.

11 REPLIES 11

GadgetGuy1

Thanks for testing this out - your description of your test matches exactly the use case I was asking about. @softech also mentioned there was no transfer function and it looks like the conference feature cannot be used as a workaround. I will continue as you and others have suggested to just ask the caller to phone back on the other number. Much appreciated everyone!

So I tried this out and no. I called #2 phone on #1 phone, used #2 to conference to #3 phone, merged them all, then hung up #2 and it all dropped. So the conferencer can't drop out. I also tried removing that first connection, no. Interestingly, I saw a Transfer option in the 3 dots in the upper right after merging. Unable.

Just ask the caller to call you on the other phone.

GadgetGuy1

Thanks - I forgot that conference calling was a feature included in the service so I will test it to see if after merging the calls, the 'host' can drop out and allow the remaining callers to continue conversation.

GadgetGuy1

Thanks yes - this is the way I've been handling this situation so far but thought I would ask if there was a way to accomplish this without asking the caller to phone back. 

GadgetGuy1

Thanks - I will check on the conference calling. It's not really related to any charges for the call - in my post I've listed two possible reasons to transfer - if phone battery is low (and the call looks like it will continue on for a while I may want to transfer) or  if the reception begins to degrade (I'm in an area where there can be interference so if it starts to break up I may want to transfer the call without having to ask the person to call back). 

GadgetGuy1

Hello - no not call forwarding as I see the option to set it and with call forwarding all calls will be sent to the forwarded number so long as the forwarding is set. I'm thinking of situations where I've already picked up the call on my mobile phone but part way into it, I would like to transfer it to another number (without having to ask the caller to phone back, if possible).

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@GadgetGuy1 

Are you talking about call forwarding?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

The only 'advanced' option is conference calling but not call transfer.
All incoming calls are free so why would you transfer it to home phone?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Would conference calling/three-way calling work? I don't know what happens if and when the original device dies though. Would the other end, and the conference device added, continue on? Maybe once long ago I tested that idea. No recollection of the result. I would have to try it again. Or you could.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@GadgetGuy1 

low tech solution...request your caller dial your landline when you're tired of the cell call.  BOOM !!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GadgetGuy1  

Sorry, no Call Transfer feature for PM.   😞

Need Help? Let's chat.