cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text from Public Mobile saying Device won't support MMS in early 2024?

POSTBOY64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, got a message from Public Mobile saying:

"Starting in early 2024, your existing device will no longer support picture and group messaging functionality (MMS) due to a service up-date, and a new device is required."

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, released August 2017. Do I really have to get a new phone or can I modify network settings to keep it working? If I have to get a new phone over this I'm switching companies this is outrageous. 

8 REPLIES 8

Randomness

Try the following APN settings with a phone restart. Be careful to ensure you use the lower or upper case as outlined below

APN: SP.MB.COM -> WITH CAPITAL LETTERS
MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220

robertwh

This fixed all issues I had getting MMS that stopped working in February. Thank you.

AngelFire

Thanks so much to you and dust2dust for writing out these instructions! I have no idea what APN is but I followed your combined instructions step by step and my phone is back to working! I don't live near my family and we're not very techy so our main way of staying in contact is to do group texting and send photos to each other. I knew about this upcoming change and I've been worried for months because I use a Galaxy S7. Needless to say, I was frantic when my phone suddenly stopped working properly today since I can't afford a new phone. You have no idea how grateful I am that I found these instructions!

mbucky321

I wasn't able to get APN settings to work based on what you described, but another poster made the following recommendation which worked when combined with what you posted:

This is the value for the APN type, just copy and paste: default,supl,mms,hipri,fota

Ensure there are no spaces.

mbucky321

Thanks for posting this but it didn't seem to work.  Is there anything else you would recommend?

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't like this policy change for older phones regarding mms and had similar problems recently downloading photo messages on my old but perfectly fine basic smartphone Alcatel Lume which after changing the apn to what was suggested by public webpage did allow for some mms to be download or sent but not quite all or even properly. 

It seems like a collusion between mobile providers and phone makers to make us spend more money for newer phones even though there is nothing wrong with our old devices.  I'm quite disappointed with the direction of some of these new policies around here.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @POSTBOY64 

it is related with this 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-Changes/td-...

PM said devices before 2015, but Telus said devices before 2017 will be affected. 

not sure if yours really will get impacted.  Try to update your phone to the latest OS and will wait and see 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I seem to think this change is all about the APN. Check for these settings in your APN.

Name: whatever you want
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
APN type: default,mms,dun
APN enable/disable: APN enabled - probably on anyway and greyed out
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D

Save, then select to use, then go in and out of airplane mode

Need Help? Let's chat.