cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service

Rick16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How can I find out if a phone is compatible  with PM?

9 REPLIES 9

Rick16

Ok I don't have it yet its comen from my sister it be here soon when she gets here I will up date you all n thankyou all again 

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Rick16 wrote:

could just use mine ? Most off the ppl i knw are chatter 

It doesn't really matter what service people you know are using - all of the cell networks interconnect.   If you can tell us what phone you have, we can give you something more specific  - but again, if it's a recent phone purchased in Canada, it will work just fine - and if it's an older phone, it will probably still work but may not have as good network coverage as a newer phone.

The phones that are incompatible with the PM network are not sold in Canada.  This is not like the old days where we had different network technologies in use at different carriers and the phones really were incompatible. Everyone is doing the same thing these days, and the only differences are the specific frequencies being used.

@Rick16 

what phone  do you have?

Rick16

could just use mine ? Most off the ppl i knw are chatter 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Check here:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

It is all about frequency. Or if you can borrow from a friend a PM SIM into your new phone and check immediately!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Rick16 

IF you already have the device AND you know someone currently with Public Mobile, pop their SIM card into the device and see if calling, texting, and data works.

That would be the most conclusive way to tell

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Rick16 

generally if a phone can be used on Bell or Telus network, it will work here

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There's a compatibility checker at https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility.

However, PM shares the Bell/Telus network, so any phone that works in Canada in general is going to work on PM.  There will be no concern about recent phones sold in Canada from any manufacturer.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rick16 

most "Canadian version" of phone you can buy in Canada can be used on Public Mobile

If you are buying phones from overseas or phones designed for other region, make sure the phone have as many of these bands as possible:

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.
The need for B2 and B7 gives you the faster speed while B5 assure you better indoor coverage in downtown urban area

Do you have any phones in your mind? post us the exact model and we can try to lookup if it is compatible.

Need Help? Let's chat.