cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s20+ 5g SM-G986W has no 5g access?

JunkBondtrader
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried accessing the list of compatible phones but the webpage leads to an error message. My phone only gets the LTE+ symbol. I am in a 5g covered zone. What gives? Is that feature blocked? That would be crazy considering my phone is also eSim capable but that feature is blocked too. Two major features...

I bought the phone second hand and I'm not sure what carrier it was sold by, but it was bought in BC Canada if that helps. 

Can anyone confirm this phone indeed cannot access the Telus/PM 5g network? And if so please affirm how stupid that is? I'm sure there's some way to unlock them, but really am not up for that hassle right now. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

@JunkBondtrader wrote:

Lte works good, 5g works better. Samsung has nothing to do with the feature being blocked. It's Canadian telecom companies like Rogers and Telus, parent company of PM that request it.

Anyway LTE is fine but they shouldn't let someone with an incompatible phone sign up for 5g. Probably tons of tech inept people who who pay for it but can't access it.

When Public Mobile advertises a plan as 5G, they are only referring to 250Mbps maximum download speeds. It's unrelated to the network type.

JunkBondtrader
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Lte works good, 5g works better. Samsung has nothing to do with the feature being blocked. It's Canadian telecom companies like Rogers and Telus, parent company of PM that request it.

Anyway LTE is fine but they shouldn't let someone with an incompatible phone sign up for 5g. Probably tons of tech inept people who who pay for it but can't access it.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I have the same phone also and as previously mentioned,  no you will not have these features here at Public Mobile even though it's a 5g phone.  You would have to take it up with the maker of your phone. LTE works just fine.

@JunkBondtrader wrote:

I tried accessing the list of compatible phones but the webpage leads to an error message. My phone only gets the LTE+ symbol. I am in a 5g covered zone. What gives? Is that feature blocked? That would be crazy considering my phone is also eSim capable but that feature is blocked too. Two major features...

I bought the phone second hand and I'm not sure what carrier it was sold by, but it was bought in BC Canada if that helps. 

Can anyone confirm this phone indeed cannot access the Telus/PM 5g network? And if so please affirm how stupid that is? I'm sure there's some way to unlock them, but really am not up for that hassle right now. Thanks!

5G network connecvity has been blocked at the software device level for this model whenever a Public Mobile SIM card is being used. Short of installing a custom ROM or Samsung realeasing a software update to address this (highly unlikely to happen because this is an older device), this device won't be able to connect to 5G networks when being used with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.