cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons about Public Mobile

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Hi I just wanted to start a topic for people that want to join public mobile.So they know the good parts and bad parts. Also for the people that are thinking about switch away from public mobile.(including myself)
65 REPLIES 65

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WearySky Well, this is a public forum. And I'm only bringing it up on related threads, so I don't see a problem. 

WearySky

Seriously, @CalvinW, we get it - you're upset that the new promo plan isn't as good as the plan in November.  You don't need to bring it up in every single thread that even remotely mentions PM's pricing.

@NDesai

Agreed 100%

everyone complaining about new plan I would say go out check others nobody can come close to what public mobile offering right now except freedom mobile which I don't count anyways then on top op have this fantastic reward program to lower their prices further down which we don't appreciate 

i moved your freedom mobile by my own choices pm never asked or force me to join either I think We should be thankful pm to offer such a great features on reasonable prices 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@stonechucker wrote:

i don't use 12GB of data in 90 days, I just don't know how to do it.  I got the 12 GB because it was the same cost as 6 when it was offered.

And here i don't even know how to use 300mb over 90 days lol

This was all my thought when they first introduced this plan to us. I was the one not happy about even though i am not on their 4GB plan. I am on the old grandfathered plan as i don't need more data right now. Those who are comparing to the old promo, too bad you missed out. They had it running for over a month and too bad people treated PM as no frill brand until now.

What i think is that due to other lower data pricing, rarely anyone was probably activating on the old 12gb pricing. So, now they decided to lower the price but called it a promo which i think they shouldn't have because technically its kinda price drop for limited time. What most people treat "promo" is that it has to be a good deal and has to be matched or lower then competitors or past promos. That thinking is such bu**. They are definitely offering lower price then competitors, so activate or not, they are not forcing you to. Just be thankful that we have Canada wide carrier that offers lower pricing and does not differentiate provinces or cities. 

@paulie

we work as a team to help each other by suggestions and solutions 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Samianauman wrote:
@paulie
Quick suggestion post your link here so op can click and support your post in lab or leave comments

Good idea !    http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Canada-150-Plans-suggested-packages-pricing...

The complaining is quickly becoming as bad as it was during the plan overhaul last summer, before the promo, sadly we are seeing the same complaints.

this moaning will again stop, and people will have to understand that this is a business, and PM is attempting to win subscribers who "fit" into the current promos, there are two after all.

if you use more than 4 go per month, PM is not for you.  If you want data only, again, PM is not for you.

However, if you're a low data user, and looking for reasonably priced plans, PM is certainly a contender, as most of the plans are a considerable savings to the majority of Canadians who are currently being overcharged for plans that either do not meet their needs, or cost too much for what they use.

i don't use 12GB of data in 90 days, I just don't know how to do it.  I got the 12 GB because it was the same cost as 6 when it was offered.

@paulie
Quick suggestion post your link here so op can click and support your post in lab or leave comments

paulie

see my post in PublicLab.

cricketfan
They could have brought it during may/June, priced at 150, calling it a Canada150 plan.

Come to think of it, they still might do something like that. 😉

Harvir_K

I migh stick with them for a while. Unless i find a good deal with another carrier 

Everyone complains about the pricing yes I did get the fall promo so I have the $120 plan.  even at $165 it would be a better deal then what I was paying.  With the rewards that are offered here you can't get that anywhere else.  I pay $87 instead of $120.  Do a little work on the forums refer some friends and you could be down to $132 for 90 days.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Harvir_K

Because I thought it was a good deal for the 6gb for $40. But i realized i need more data. IM trying to go switch into freedom or Fido maybe koodo

@Harvir_K wrote:

I know this plan is more expensive then the other fall promo but it is way over priced. Public mobile doesn't offer things such as roaming plans other then the U.S.A. Also even 12gb every 90 days isn't enough for me. I used to spend 6gb with freedom

@Harvir_K, Then why did you switch? 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

XCanadaX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wanted to switch but i cant because of this stupid promo

Harvir_K

I know this plan is more expensive then the other fall promo but it is way over priced. Public mobile doesn't offer things such as roaming plans other then the U.S.A. Also even 12gb every 90 days isn't enough for me. I used to spend 6gb with freedom

paulie

Pros: there are no con artists !  What you see is what you get.   I hear complaints about no stores and no one to call, but if you went to a "store" or phoned a "call centre" with the other carriers, you would get so much mis-information.  Believe me, I've been there many times !

Hence why I'm with PublicMobile. 

Public Mobile may not be for everyone, however if the model is to offer best price since there is no over head and fancy advertising, Public Mobile has got to offer plans that reflect this.  If we keep giving them the feedback, they will adjust. 

Bring back the Fall 2016 Promo and let's get some Canada 150 plans offered up very soon !

Another great PRO for PM if you don't like the service or pricing you can leave after your plan exiriation be it 30 days or 90 days no charges to you.

The fall promo was a crazy good deal.  Another big bonus is that it isn't 4gb a month it is 12 over 90 days so you won't have data overage charges if you used 5gb first month they won't refund you if you only use 3gb the second month and still have 4gb for the last month.  This current price promo would be exactly what my wife and I were paying on Rogers in a month with all of their discounts I had earned and as a federal employee and we had 2.5GB to SHARE.  Also people talk about lack of service I have to say that PM customer service has been great and faster then any call centre or live chat I have had to deal with.  Sure it may lack some operational hours for us on the West Coast but luckily that hasn't affected me yet.

@mimmo wrote:

Hey all,

I've seen sereal people compare the  the current promo, to the past fall promo and i believe that is unfair. Just becuse the fall promo was an exelent  deal doesnt mean that the current promos are crap or that PM is no good.  I was looking at some of the other canadian providers and it was hard to find a current offer that was better  (freedom has a 4gb for $40, many people came to PM from wind because of reception issues, not sure that has changed)

PM regular  2gb unlimited provincial for $40 is still a good value,  this 4gb for $55 (53 after auto pay) is still good if you need that much data.

prices I saw:

• @fido 2gb @70/month, 3gb  @85/month
  • @virgin2gb @65/month, 3gb  @80/month
  • @Koodo 2gb @65/month, 3gb  @80/month

don't forget community rewards, referal rewards and loyalty rewards.

I look at it very differently.  People like having full customer service as evidence by the dismay that there's no call center.  Some people like the option of getting a hardware mortgage with their service.  Public Mobile offers none of these options.  This service is based on a minimalist model.  So, Public Mobile needs to share the savings with the customers.  Comparison to full service providers may not be applicable.

If you want to compare to current offerings, the benchmark for value at the moment is the zoomer $36 for 2 gigs, 400 day time Canada wide minutes, budget phone for free.  They provide a loyalty option after 6 months that doubles the data to 4 gigs for $45.  

BTW, I love the minimalist approach taken by Public Mobile.  But, if they don't share the efficiencies with me, I would flee like mice leaving a sinking ship.  I am loyal to my provider if they are loyal to me.  At the end of the day, I will fiercely defend my wallet ahead of any other interests.  

CalvinW
@Harvir_K if you decide to stay, you will have to accept the current pricing scheme. At this rate, the chance of another fall promo is next to zero

CalvinW
@mimmo Well, I believe your comparison is unfair. You are comparing PM's promo pricing against other carrier's regular pricing. Fido recently had a promo of $60 for 6GB or $50 for 5GB for legacy customers. That is a much better than what PM has to offer. This is just a bad deal in general. The people that actually support this are those that are already on the Fall promo. They aren't the ones that have to cough up the $55.

@Harvir_K wrote:
I am trying to get my freedom mobile data plan back but I'm not going to be able to get it anymore.

That's pretty drastic measures.  I can't see any carrier, freedom included offering me 5 gig plan at $25 per month.  Even if freedom does, I won't bite.  I a too use to having access to a national network.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey all,

I've seen sereal people compare the  the current promo, to the past fall promo and i believe that is unfair. Just becuse the fall promo was an exelent  deal doesnt mean that the current promos are crap or that PM is no good.  I was looking at some of the other canadian providers and it was hard to find a current offer that was better  (freedom has a 4gb for $40, many people came to PM from wind because of reception issues, not sure that has changed)

PM regular  2gb unlimited provincial for $40 is still a good value,  this 4gb for $55 (53 after auto pay) is still good if you need that much data.

prices I saw:

• fido 2gb @70/month, 3gb  @85/month
  • virgin2gb @65/month, 3gb  @80/month
  • koodo 2gb @65/month, 3gb  @80/month

don't forget community rewards, referal rewards and loyalty rewards.

keep in mind that everything is pre-paid. So very very unlikely you'll get money back

Harvir_K

I have decided that i will stick with public mobile until their next fall promo, and if it isn't on a good price I'm going to leave.I have been with them for 2 days.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Pros:  

competitive pricing, at least when they rolled out the 2016 fall promo

Online model

Knowledgeable staff

Cons:  

losing the competitive edge with expensive promos recently

Very buggy portal

CalvinW

@Harvir_K That's unfortunate. Good luck on finding a plan that suits your needs! Too bad PM doesn't value new customers anymore. Another Fall promo would have gotten us to stay

Best part of public mobile is friendly environment best reward program great mod team great coverage awesome reception
Cons
More data plans
Canada USA calling promo plan
Easy signup process
1 step addon buying system
Need Help? Let's chat.