cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Data depletion

rworld
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all.

My data is mysteriously getting used up.  I never used to go over my usage cap, but despite tripling the data in my plan, and topping it up as needed, it is disappearing.  I have restricted the apps that are allowed to use data, reset the data usage counter on my iPhone, and it shows an expected amount of usage, but my Public account shows it becoming depleted. 4 days into my billing cycle, I got a text today that I had again used 75% of the data included in my service (3 gb). 

I'm not using the data, the iPhone data counter shows that.  Ideas?  Thanks,

-Rob

13 REPLIES 13

The overview is better clarity but this certainly shows that the 75% warning is wrong. The details logs do have a delay. The overview is almost immediate.

rworld

Yup, I hadn't reset the counter in a long time, so I reset it when I bought my last 1GB top up on my last billing cycle.  Since then, iPhone counter shows 800mb in the past 2 weeks, which is about right. 

rworld

Yup, and I reset it when I bought and extra 1gb of data at the end of my last billing cycle,.  It shows 800mb in the past 2 weeks, which is about accurate.  Not sure where Public is getting this from.  I'm tired of paying $15 for each extra GB of data, especially when I'm not using it.

rworld

rworld_0-1650926461636.png

It shows lots of data now, but not sure if there is a lag.  I checked part way through my last billing cycle, and showed as used up on here.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rworld 

Most devices data counters do so by calendar month.

Public Mobile cycles run on consecutive 30-day cycles so they do not match the calendar months at all.

What you might want to do is plan to reset your devices data counter on the evening of each renewal cycle just before going to bed.

That way the next morning you'll be starting from a zero starting point.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Many customers have been in the same boat, but the be all end all is whatever your meter in your PM account shows. Many ppl get the text warnings but have much more data than the warning is showing them.

@rworld   The data usage on iPhone counted from the last time the counter was reset.  If it was reset lately, within the this current PM cycle, then it is useful.  But if you have not reset it for long time, it is not very useful.

rworld

My iPhone lists the total data used, and breaks it down by app as well.  I'll look into the app you mentioned to see if it is more accurate though.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rworld   iPhone cannot trace the usage back.  I suggest you to download app like My Data Manager so you can easily track the data usage and you can tell how much you used and which app used the data

@rworld wrote:

"Wifi Assist" is off

I leave my data to 'on' so that I can receive things and use basic features, but I'm not using anywhere near the data it says I am.

For an accurate reading of your data...log in to your account / My Data and Add-ons to view all remaining data available to you.

eg...2800 / 5120 MB means I have 2320 MB left to use.

rworld

"Wifi Assist" is off

I leave my data to 'on' so that I can receive things and use basic features, but I'm not using anywhere near the data it says I am.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It would appear that those warning texts are coming out wrong for some people. If you see lots of available data under my data & add-ons then ignore the warnings.

Maybe provide an image of your overview page without identifying information.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rworld 

Do you keep data toggled "ON"?

If so, and if you're in a weak wi-fi zone and have data-assist turned on, your data will kick in to compensate for a weak wi-fi signal.

Ensure data is toggled "OFF" when not needed and there are no background apps using data, and any wifi assist features are disabled.

Also, ensure you don't have a hotspot setup that others can connect to - check your mobile device's cellular connections for these items.

Need Help? Let's chat.