cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local call considered long distance by other carrier

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Something wierd happened which caused the person I called to incur long distance charges. 

When I first signed up to public mobile I used a temporary number with 437 area code.  I also had my Rogers account active and people I knew called my using my old Rogers number (416) with call forwarding set up to my active Public mobile number - since I don't have dual sim card phone.

Myself and the other person were in Whitby Ontario.  They are on Rogers network (with 416 numbers) and called me using my 416 number - great everything worked as expected - call got fowarded to me correctly.

Then leter I called them back, but my sim is for Public Mobile using new 437 number  Now for both times I called them, their Rogers account shows a long distance charge for both calls from Whitby Ontario. 

WHat is going on?  WHy can they call out to the Rogers 416 number and not incur long distance charge but when they receive call from 437 public mobile number it is considered long distance.

Please someone explain this. 

(Now that I fully ported my 416 rogers number over to Public Mobile, I will test again when I go back to Whitby, to see if the charges are incurred again)

14 REPLIES 14

@erotavlas wrote:
Yes that sounds right, I was told the other person has Canada wide calling so that's why they reversed the charge.

I didn't know Whitby was actually considered long distance to Toronto.

In old legacy landline plans, it would be.  Cellular plans typically have a wider local calling area.

erotavlas
Yes that sounds right, I was told the other person has Canada wide calling so that's why they reversed the charge.

I didn't know Whitby was actually considered long distance to Toronto.

I couldn't find a local calling area map for Rogers but I did find a Fido one for Toronto phone numbers.  I am going to assume that Fido and Rogers both use the same local calling areas for received calls for people with a Toronto number.

https://www.fido.ca/cms/pdf/lca/LCA_TORONTO_EN.pdf

According to the above, receiving a call on Toronto cell while in Whitby is in fact long ditsance.

Base on that, if that other person is in Whitby an receives a call from anyone, the long distance charges are correct unless he/she has long distance included as part of the price plan.  In any event, this has nothing do with your end or your phone number (it is being caused by something on the other person's side). 

erotavlas

Thanks guys, since it appears not possible, I called Rogers and they found that it was a mistake and corrected the error.  Not sure why it happened in the first place.  What a hassle.

For the person receiving the call, your number could be from anywhere.  It makes no difference.

jackjin127
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thats right ~~

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thats allright @ech_786, we wish the OP good luck in resolving this and hopefully the OP will post an update when it is sorted because this is a strange problem and many of us would like to know what the cause/explanation was.  🙂

fisher

i think you should call rogers and find out where is the mistake. 

Rogers Bill always get a mistake.  i have two times for extra-charge bill... 

just call them ..

ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is correct .. sorry I was thinking Roger in my mind but type mod there... sorry

@imm1304

imm1304

@ech_786, PM mods can not help with Rogers billing issues.  PM has not charged this person any money, its Rogers who most likely have made a mistake.  I encourage the OP to inquire further with the party that is billing the friend.  

imm1304

Hi @erotavlas!

This has got to be a billing error on Rogers' part OR the long distance charge is for some other outgoing call from that particular line.

You don't get charged long-distance for incoming calls, no matter where the call originates from.  437 is the new Toronto area code in use for more than a year already and is not exclusive to PM.  

I have family members on Rogers wireless and they call me all the time.  Never heard of such long distance charges... I had used a 437 area code on my PM line for a few months before I ported-in a 416 number.  

The only scenario I can think of is that the person was somehow in roaming zone and got charged for using the phone while roaming.  This could happen if their plan is old and restricted to home zone.  I hope your friend can sort this out with Rogers.  Good luck!  

Rockdaddy22
I have to agree, this makes no sense

ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Never heard of this ...and this is very strange...

I would send print shots to one of mods to have them look into this.

Good luck

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

That makes no sense.  Long distance charges are incurred by the caller, never the recipient.  

Need Help? Let's chat.