cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get a new 5G SIM card?

eddyhsu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I have subscribed a new 5G available plan, for sure I would need a new 5G SIM card, how can I get it? or, Can I get an e-SIM card instead?

if I didn’t change my SIM card, is the used 4G SIM card still working with my 5G available plan?

9 REPLIES 9

@eddyhsu 

I hope you see this before going to US. For calling in US, you should have a phone that is on PM's volte whitelist. Volte will provide the best talk experience while in US as they no longer have 3G for calling. Without a volte enabled phone, you'd need a phone that will drop to 2G for calling...resulting in less than great talkability. If you're unsure...just let us know what make / model is your phone and someone in Community will look it up for you.

Make sure you have Data Roaming enabled in settings...do that now and just leave it on.

Text should work regardless.

Finally, when you get to US, you'll likely receive a "Welcome to the US" message, reminding you to buy a roaming add-on for use in USA. You can ignore that message as long as you have the Cdn/US regular plan. As soon as you arrive in US, look to to see that phone is connected to either AT&T or T-Mobile only...Verizon or others will not work.

Safe travels.

eddyhsu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
  • So glad to hear your experience, my new 5G available plan will cover US data/ talk and will be effective on May 19th that I start my travel to the US at the same day.
  • If I could still use my existing SIM CARD , that will be great!👍 😁😁

@Rastin   I think you are talking about two different things, i.e. actually getting 5G vs using a 5G plan.  

Rastin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's not incorrect for 5g all is needed. If one or all are not available your not going to get 5g you will be stepped down to 4g or what is available. It doesn't matter weather all pm plans can connect to 5g if the phone or area your in doesn't have 5g your not going to get it.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@eddyhsu   I switched from a 3G plan to a 5G plan with the same sim card.  You can get an esim (if your phone is esim compatible) but I would stay with the physical sim that you already have.

@Rastin wrote:

The only thing you need for 5g is

1 a plan that cover 5G

2 a phone that is capable of 5g

3 5g need to be available in your area

No new sim should be need

Sorry, but unforttuantely, most of the above is incorrect.  All Public Mobile plans allow connects to the HSPA, LTE, and 5g networks.  Also, Public Mobile 5g plan does not require a phone that is capable of connecting to 5g networks, nor does there have to be a 5g network available in any particiular area to use what Public Mobile calls a 5g plan.

Rastin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The only thing you need for 5g is

1 a plan that cover 5G

2 a phone that is capable of 5g

3 5g need to be available in your area

No new sim should be need

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @eddyhsu 

you can use the same sim card for any PM plan, no special sim card for 5G plan

hairbag1