cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degraded battery on an apple 8 phone purchased from public mobile

mfabbro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a public mobile certified Pre-owned apple 8 phone and the battery health is significantly degraded. 

I need to return it for one which has a good battery.  My previous phone which I had for 4 years still shows 93% battery health. 

14 REPLIES 14

@mfabbro wrote:

I want to return the phone. 

HI @mfabbro Good move.  Return the phone to take advantage of the 30 days refund.  Even you want the phone still, return this one, reorder so, you get another full one year warranty.

mfabbro

I want to return the phone. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mfabbro wrote:

I purchased a public mobile certified Pre-owned apple 8 phone and the battery health is significantly degraded.

If you've had this phone for less than 30 days, you return it for a refund by contacting a customer support agent.

30 days? I thought these phones are all sold with a one year warranty promise?

A utility like iCopyBot can be used to report battery status (from the logs stored in the battery logic chip itself). Best results when polling the device from outside the native iOS (ie: on a desktop or laptop instead of on the phone itself). Apple's software is very biased and shouldn't be blindly trusted.

https://www.techdotmatrix.com/2018/01/iphone-battery-cycle-count/

Apple designs the batteries to last across "2 years of average use". This translates into roughly 400 full charge/discharge cycles, give or take. At this point, the fully-charged battery will only be able to contain and output 80% of its nominal rated capacity. And at this 80% threshold, iOS forces the device to always run on "low power mode" - which drastically throttles, limits, and reduces the software capabilities.

iFixit sells excellent new replacement batteries (in a kit along with the tools, online instructional videos/guides, and documentation you need to DIY the replacement). Although you shouldn't have to spend $25 on this if your phone is still covered under warranty.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-8/Batteries

@mfabbro 

You can contact a CS_Agent by clicking on the private messaging envelope icon on top of this page.

@esjliv wrote:

@computergeek541  at the bottom of the above Help Article the below here hyperlink just loops back to the Help Article with no helpful way to submit a claim.

Is this something Jade or Melinda or someone can correct?

esjliv_0-1647179270618.png

Thanks for pointing that out.  I probably won't remmber to follow-up with you about this or know where to find the post where you asked about this further down the road, but I have mentioned this to Public Mobile.   Feel free to ask me about this in the future and I'll check for any response from Public Mobile. 

Pbubbly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The battery health % is just percentage of original charging capactity available. so @ 85% you get 85% of what was possible. at 82% you get 82% of the original capacity. Reductions of use between charging happen as soon as you are below 100%. Unless I am misunderstanding something...

mfabbro

How do I submit a ticket in private message?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @mfabbro , please use private message as suggested by @esjliv  to submit ticket.  The Chatbot method for submitting CPO related ticket has been broken for sometimes 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mfabbro  - 

See the Help Article available on CPO phones, repair and warranty info.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/phone-warranty-returns-repairs

In this article (similar link to what computergeek541 posted) but more directed to your topic, there is a link to submit to CSA:

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&duid=1u65yogud2Fec8vK1In...

If issue submitting above you can also contact Public Mobile Representatives (CSA) by submitting a message(ticket) to them here: 

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

@computergeek541  at the bottom of the above Help Article the below here hyperlink just loops back to the Help Article with no helpful way to submit a claim.

Is this something Jade or Melinda or someone can correct?

esjliv_0-1647179270618.png

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mfabbro 

You might want to move on this rather promptly... there have been other user experiences which haven't been great regarding the return processes here.

Hopefully the battery health was something you checked very early on and you are within the first 30 days.

Indeed, if PM provided you an Apple iPhone device with 82% battery health, that's unacceptable. 

Even folks with minimal knowledge of battery health know that once an iPhone reaches 85% the user is going to start noticing reductions in use between charging cycles.

@mfabbro 

I agree it should be replaced. Normally it is replaced at 80%. 

If it is under 30 days, contact a CS_Agent as suggested by @computergeek541 for an exchange or refund.

If it is over the 30 days, bring it into Telus's Mobile Klinik to have the battery replaced.

mfabbro

battery health is 82% and I get a message that says the battery is degraded and should be replaced

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mfabbro 

What sort of degrading are we talking about?

What is the battery health when you got the phone and what is it now for how long?

@mfabbro wrote:

I need to return it for one which has a good battery.  My previous phone which I had for 4 years still shows 93% battery health. 

If you've had this phone for less than 30 days, you return it for a refund by contacting a customer support agent. That is done by opening a ticket at: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Need Help? Let's chat.