cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get SIM to work

cltjames
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been with Public over a few months now and I've had no issues on my old LG X Power which I bought outright from Freedom. I recently bought a used Google Pixel. It worked flawlessly when I put my buddy's Virgin SIM into it, yet when I put my Public SIM it says, "SIM not provisioned". I tried setting the APN manually, but it will not allow me to change to the proper MNC. What should I do?

17 REPLIES 17

@cltjames, you said you were using a buddy’s phone.  It that phone unlocked, or at least a Telus branded locked phone?  Is it compatible with Public Mobile?

You May only need to purchase a new device.  Yes I know you’re interested in other deals right now, just saying a new phone might be the quick answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cltjames wrote:

Public - 37 bucks a month (autopay, 90 day cycle, one refer a friend) gets me unlimited global text, unlimited province wide talk, 1gb at 4g lte a month. However, piss poor customer service is the other end of that coin.

Koodo - 35 bucks a month - 2 gb of 4g lte a month, unlimited canada wide talk, unlimited global text and picture, and they actually have customer service. Or 10gb a month for 56 bucks. 

Nice. I gotta admit I'm entertaining Koodo. I'm changing PM down a little on my next renewal and then getting add-ons.

Looking at Koodo, maybe I would get the $15 base and then add the add-ons.

My needs/wants are way less than what they used to be so I'm looking at these other options.

They match the base plan of $25 that I'm moving to with PM (and then the add-ons).

I'm not interested in these huge data giveaways as I don't have a need for it. Now, unlimited Canada/US for $10 I'd be all over 🙂 Never gonna happen.

cltjames

Public - 37 bucks a month (autopay, 90 day cycle, one refer a friend) gets me unlimited global text, unlimited province wide talk, 1gb at 4g lte a month. However, piss poor customer service is the other end of that coin.

Koodo - 35 bucks a month - 2 gb of 4g lte a month, unlimited canada wide talk, unlimited global text and picture, and they actually have customer service. Or 10gb a month for 56 bucks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cltjames wrote:

Yeah I'm not waiting 2 days for a response.

Suit yourself.

Some might be interested to know what you're going to from what you had.

cltjames

Yeah I'm not waiting 2 days for a response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good. At least give'em a chance.

cltjames

I sent one around 6 yesterday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cltjames wrote:

@z10user4 I have a different phone. Read my first post. Yeah Im just going to switch. This is ridiculous.

Sorry.

Did you ever send a note to the mods as suggested? Did they ever get back to you?

cltjames

@z10user4 I have a different phone. Read my first post. Yeah Im just going to switch. This is ridiculous.

You may want to try to contact one of the moderators to see whether they can help your situation.  Problem is that the wait times are 1-2 days for moderator to respond.  

Here is instructions to contact moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

Recommendation:  do not send multiple message to moderators.  Each new message will put you further down the job list.  

Or just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cltjames wrote:

My old phone is definitely broken. Physically broken. My account says active and my phone number hasn't changed. Time to switch providers I think.

Switch providers? For a dead phone? Lotsa cheap phones to be had to activate on PM.

cltjames

My old phone is definitely broken. Physically broken. My account says active and my phone number hasn't changed. Time to switch providers I think.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cltjames wrote:

It didn't work on my buddy's phone. It's been less than a week since my old phone broke. I don't think my SIM would be deactivated.

You old phone may not be broken.  Your PM plan may be inactive/suspended/canceled.

1.  Login to your PM account.  What is the status of your account?

2.  Click on [Plan and Add-Ons] tab.  What is the phone number shown on the Plan and Add-Ons page?

cltjames

It didn't work on my buddy's phone. It's been less than a week since my old phone broke. I don't think my SIM would be deactivated.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cltjames, are you able to try the SIM card in a different phone just to make sure that it is not bad?  Can you put the SIM back into your old phone to see if it is still working?  I assume that has been tried. 

SIM not provisioned is a response for a SIM that is no longer activate on the network.  I get that response when I put an old Rogers SIM into my phone to speed up the OTA updates.  By chance is the account in suspension at the moment? 

cltjames

Yes.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Have you tried removing and re-inserting the SIM or resetting your network settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.