cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some calls not coming through

vinions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I have a weird problem that I can't seem to figure out what the pattern is.

I just activated my account and ported my number a few hours ago.  I even got the confirmation text message saying it's completed.  However, here's what I seem to figure out:

Data is fine

Text is fine (haven't tried MMS yet)

Outgoing calls are fine

Incoming calls are fine most fo the time.  So incoming cell to cell seems fine.  Landline to my cell is fine.  But my home VOIP to my cell is not.  I get a "number not in service" message.  

I've already sent a message to a mod but it's after hours so just seeing if someone has a solution quicker.  Thanks.  

8 REPLIES 8

FFL
Ported over to PM just 7 hours ago. Just tried VOIP, works. I wonder if VOIP keeps a record of which numbers belong to each carrier. Say you belonged to carrier X before, your VOIP connects to that carrier the next time you try to call it until it either gets flagged or to recheck? Not sure how it works, just a theory on my end

vinions

not sure if anythign happened but it's working now.  took over 24 hours to "propagate" I guess.  

vinions

yea, I work with domains and websites and know what you mean.  So let's hope that's indeed the case.  Will keep you all posted.  As of this moment, my home VOIP is still not going through.  Will try my office later once I get in as that's a VOIP line too. 

@imcphers That would make sense... when I ported from Telus, I technically didn't change networks, so my calls and texts kept coming. I suppose if you're switching from an entirely separate network, it would take time, like you mentioned.

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@daredogg 

I'm pretty sure you are correct.  There is a festering period before all is well in the cloud. On my port back in June, it took 24 hours before it was all sorted out and I could receive calls from everyone.

fktw2

Incoming calls seem to be the last thing that gets sorted when porting, at least from my own experience and others.  It could be just a time thing as daredogg hypothesized.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

I wonder if changing your cellphone provider is much like hosting your web domain elsewhere. When you change it's physical location online, you need to broadcast to the world that it has a new location, or else no one can find you. I wonder if porting of numbers is the same?  That it takes awhile for everyone to get the memo, and until they do, they'll keep trying your "old address".

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

From your VOiP phone, Are you trying with +1 in front of your number? 

Need Help? Let's chat.