cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop down speeds on 4G plans

Rrrabbit
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Say I am on a (4G) 20GB/month plan and I exhausted my availalbe data. What data speeds will my data drop to?

I found one statement for the 5G plan suggesting "up to" 500mb/s , but in the terms of available 4G terms I saw, that statement was missing.

Can you comment from experience or reference terms that explicitly state was the official policy is? I understand there are local fluctuations (I am in Toronto), but really, the speeds are controlled by how much PM/Telus throttle folks that went over their data allotment.

7 REPLIES 7

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire
@softech wrote:

The unlimited data at reduced speed is ONLY for 5G plan and the speed will drop to 512Kbps, but again, only for 5G plans

This is not in fact entirely correct. The unlimited is for non-roaming plans. The 5G roaming plan does not have unlimited and therefor would also come to a screeching halt like 4G plans.

Adding - quote

@TheSterlinger wrote:

After the 20GB then it would go to 512kbps which is 0.5Mbs.

This isn't correct. Data on a 4G-speed plan would no longer work after the 20GB has been used up.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Rrrabbit wrote:

Say I am on a (4G) 20GB/month plan and I exhausted my availalbe data. What data speeds will my data drop to?

I found one statement for the 5G plan suggesting "up to" 500mb/s , but in the terms of available 4G terms I saw, that statement was missing.

Can you comment from experience or reference terms that explicitly state was the official policy is? I understand there are local fluctuations (I am in Toronto), but really, the speeds are controlled by how much PM/Telus throttle folks that went over their data allotment.

@Rrrabbit , on 4G Speed plans once you use up all of your plans data your data will no longer work.

Edit: I must type very very slow to see no response before I reply then several replies after I click post! 😆 

h_sy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What softech said is correct

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Whoops what the others said is correct!

@Rrrabbit wrote:

Sorry, but the data wouldn't slow down to any speed as it woud just stop working.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rrrabbit 

4G plan does NOT hvae unlimited data at reduced speed

The unlimited data at reduced speed is ONLY for 5G plan and the speed will drop to 512Kbps, but again, only for 5G plans

Need Help? Let's chat.