cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 No LTE

vdallaire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

I need help and your good advices to troubleshoot my phone.

I bought my phone in february 2015 with Vidéotron. My phone model is SGH-M919V. I had 4G/LTE and it worked flawlessly. Since I am with Public Mobile, I am not able to get 4G/LTE. All I get get is 3G. I searched a lot on the Internet and on this community forum. Here's what I did.

1. My girlfriend is also on PM so I swapped our SIM Cards. My SIM card works great on her phone with LTE and the SIM Card of my girlfriend works only with 3G on my phone. So, the problem seems with my phone and not my SIM Card.

2. I factory reset my phone with Samsung Kies with the Firmware Update/Initialisation. Still have only 3G. So the problem seems with my phone (Hardware problem?) but not with the phone configuration that I maybe changed over time since I have now a vanilla OS freshly installed.

3. I removed the battery and SIM Card for about 1 hour and rebooted. Still no luck, I only have 3G.

So, at this point, I tought that I maybe had a hardware problem with my phone. So, I had to investigate on this.

Here's what I did.

1. I checked my phone frenquencies with Public Mobile to check for compatibility. Here's what I found. (https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/lL7uAM/samsung-sgh-m919v-galaxy-s4-samsung-alti...Capture.JPG

PM i using B4 LTE Band and this site is saying that my phone is incompatible with LTE and PM.

2. I checked my phone specifications. Here's what I found. (http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=device&id=4747&c=samsung_sgh-m919v_galaxy_s4__samsung_altius)

Capture.JPG

My Samsung's phone is physically able to use the B4 Band but is disabled by default because Samsung wants you to buy another phone if you change carrier. I won't let that happens!!! Trust me!!!

3. I forced my phone to use the LTE B4 Band. I succeeded to force the signal to be 4G/LTE with a Samsung Secret Code. This code for my phone is *#2263#. With this menu, I can force the B4 LTE Band as what Public/Mobile and Telus use for their cell Tower. Problem solved?

Sort of.... So, I have now LTE speed tested with SpeedTester (50 mb/s downlink and 25 mb/s uplink). Now, I have a new problem. If I force the 4G/LTE signal with the B4 LTE Band, I cannot make or received phone call anymore. SMS are working. Why is that?

I tried the *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here#  secret code to change the CSC codes but I do not have TLS or KDO in the list. I only have ESK, GLW, MCT and VTR. GLW is currently selected. So I did nothing with it and I don't know if the procedure will resolve my issue.

Community, do you have any clues to let me make/receive phone call while using forced 4G/LTE?

Thanks in advance!

29 REPLIES 29

@vdallaire wrote:

Hi @WearySky@will13am@computergeek541 and @youbme,

I told you that I will give news! Here what happened since last week. I have solved my issue with the "Automatic" setting. But, I took a drastic way to solve it.

I flashed the baseband firmware with the SGH-I337M baseband firmware that I took here (https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SGH-I337M/TLS/)

This Galaxy S4 phone was sold with Telus in Canada so I tought that it might works with Public Mobile since Telus owns PM. In the zip file, there is a TAR file. In this TAR file, there is two files that are used to flash the baseband firmware. The files are NON-HLOS.bin (for LTE) and modem.bin for the 3G.

I put my phone in download mode and used the heimdall suite to flash my baseband firmware. with this shell command : heimdall.exe flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --MDM modem.bin

Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash firmware (aka ROMs) onto Samsung mobile devices.

TADA! Problem solved! My phone is now proprely switching between LTE and 3G when receiving phone call and goes back to LTE when call is finished!

I do not take responsabilities if you brick your phone! Thank you guys for helping me out!

Great job, the persistence paid off in the end!  Now that you mention it, I had an old note 2 that required a modem firmware change to enable aws-1 on HSPA.  I forgot all about it, otherwise I would have brought it up earlier.

@vdallaire wrote:

I told you that I will give news! Here what happened since last week. I have solved my issue with the "Automatic" setting. But, I took a drastic way to solve it.

I flashed the baseband firmware with the SGH-I337M baseband firmware that I took here (https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SGH-I337M/TLS/)

This Galaxy S4 phone was sold with Telus in Canada so I tought that it might works with Public Mobile since Telus owns PM. In the zip file, there is a TAR file. In this TAR file, there is two files that are used to flash the baseband firmware. The files are NON-HLOS.bin (for LTE) and modem.bin for the 3G.

I put my phone in download mode and used the heimdall suite to flash my baseband firmware. with this shell command : heimdall.exe flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --MDM modem.bin

Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash firmware (aka ROMs) onto Samsung mobile devices.

TADA! Problem solved! My phone is now proprely switching between LTE and 3G when receiving phone call and goes back to LTE when call is finished!

I do not take responsabilities if you brick your phone! Thank you guys for helping me out!

Good Job, excellent perseverence! 

@vdallaire wrote:

Good job, great perseverence!  I had an old Samsung Note 2 sourced from Bell that needed a modem flash to enable the AWS-1 3G capability to work on the Wind network.  I forgot all about it.  Must consume for fish oil...

vdallaire

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm not sure that your version of the phone has the same internals as the Telus version of the phone.  You're probably better off flashing the stock T-Mobile version of the rom instead (or just flashing the T-Mobile modem on its own).

vdallaire

What is the differences between the PDA I337MVLUGOH1 and I337MVLUGOC4 on that page ?

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SGH-I337M/TLS/

What does it means?

vdallaire

Hi Guys!

I rooted my phone and edit the /system/build.prop with these settings

telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1

ro.telephony.default_network=9

ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9

And.... It did not work. Automatic setting is not saved after reboot. I am thinking of flashing my phone with the Google Play Edition Rom (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557353) or the Samsung Original Original ROM SGH-I337M for Telus (TLS) (https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SGH-I337M/TLS/)

Maybe, I might have better chances with these 2 firmwares?

@WearySky wrote:

@will13am I believe you still need root to edit files in /data though, right?

I believe so.  All my phones are rooted and so I never think too much about that.  Using local.prop is just another way to keep build.prop stock.  I used a root app for build.prop editing because it is convenient. 

WearySky

@will13am I believe you still need root to edit files in /data though, right?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The brain freeze just thawed.  It is also possible to put settings in a file located in the /data partition called local.prop which appends/modifies build.prop. 

WearySky

Good luck!  I hope it works. 🙂

vdallaire

@WearySky, Yes. I checked with BuildProp Editor and thes values are not there. I must created them.

And yes, I must do what you told (Rooted or ADB download) to save the build.prop.

Guys, I will try that and tell you news about it.

WearySky

@vdallaire note that you can view any system properties set in build.prop with a build.prop editor like BuildProp Editor - so you can see if those lines already exist in your build.prop, and what they're set to.  You just can't save them unless you're rooted.  I doubt that Samsung's stock recovery will allow you to mount system and download the file over ADB, so you'll probably have to install a custom recovery any way - and if you're going to do that, you might as well just root while you're in there, and then edit the values directly with the Editor app instead of going through the hassle of trying to download the file over adb, editing it locally, and then saving it back.

@vdallaire wrote:

@WearySky, I was inspired by this page (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/4g-lte-issues-build-prop-edits-fixed-it.57071/)

And, I also found this page (https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/telephony/java/com/android/intern...)

Maybe, I must add the following lines in my build.prop file?

9 seems to mean NETWORK_MODE_LTE_GSM_WCDMA as the android source code is telling me in RILConstants.java

I will try that. Anyone has already did this before?

In the case of the nexus 4, these lines were already in build.prop.  I just had to change the number at the end.  The original value was 3.

Wow, we are turning this forum into xda II.  This discussion is way different than account activation problems.  

vdallaire

LOL @will13am! I was inspired by your page finally 🙂

vdallaire

@WearySky, I was inspired by this page (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/4g-lte-issues-build-prop-edits-fixed-it.57071/)

And, I also found this page (https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/telephony/java/com/android/intern...)

Maybe, I must add the following lines in my build.prop file?

9 seems to mean NETWORK_MODE_LTE_GSM_WCDMA as the android source code is telling me in RILConstants.java

I will try that. Anyone has already did this before?

In the first post, it's mentioend that the phone has AWS 1700MHz support for UMTS.  That isn't the same as compatibility with LTE.  The M919 was not sold as an LTE device and should be considered non-LTE compatible, although I know that with many Samsung devices, the software is sometimes messed around with to disable LTE capabilities.

As for that freqencycheck website, I don't feel that it is a good site to use for Public Mobile customers due to incomplete information.  They list only Band 4 (1700MHz) as being used for LTE, which isn't the case.

@WearySky wrote:

@will13am LTE isn't disabled, but it's turned off by default.  I think flashing the T-Mobile modem would turn it on by default.

@vdallaire you'd need to check if your phone's recovery mode lets you mount system and pull files through adb, to be able to edit the build.prop without root (else you'd have to flash a custom recovery, etc).

As far as enabling this setting in build.prop... I have NO idea, unfortunately.  

From what I read quickly on the xda link, the discussion is about installing radio firmware that drives the LTE chip.  That is a totally separate thing from settings which enable LTE as a preferred network type.  As an example, I have a nexus 4 that has hardware capable of running band 4 LTE.  Because google rushed the phone to market, they slipped up on the registration with the FCC and excluded LTE from the paperwork.  So, when the phones were sold, they had to replace the modem firmware with a modified version that did not include LTE .  No matter what you do settings, the LTE radio cannot be made to work.

Fortunately, an oem version of the firmware with LTE was leaked and over the years, variations of a so called hybrid firmware (stock + LTE) has been engineered that allow the phone to run LTE.  I have that hybrid radio firmware installed on the phone.  With that installed, I still needed to enable LTE via build.prop settings.  There are various build.prop editors (root ap) on the play store that can be used.  Alternatively, I can go into the info menu (*#*#info#*#*) and manually select LTE preferred network type each time after a reboot.

The exact edits I made to build.prop for the nexus 4 is shown in this web link.  This is a oneplus forum, but the codes for default, preferred network are the same (9).  I can't remember off hand as it is something I have never done, but I recall reading somewhere that there is a user file that is an override to build.prop where the same thing can be placed there and having the same effects as editing build.prop.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/4g-lte-issues-build-prop-edits-fixed-it.57071/

BIG CAVEAT, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.  ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

WearySky

@will13am LTE isn't disabled, but it's turned off by default.  I think flashing the T-Mobile modem would turn it on by default.

@vdallaire you'd need to check if your phone's recovery mode lets you mount system and pull files through adb, to be able to edit the build.prop without root (else you'd have to flash a custom recovery, etc).

As far as enabling this setting in build.prop... I have NO idea, unfortunately.  

vdallaire

And what I need to edit in this file to keep my Automatic setting?

vdallaire

Hi @will13am and @WearySky,

I flashed the ROM of my phone many times before including the SGH-M919 and my connectivity with LTE was poor and unrealiable. I flashed with the cyanogenmod jfltemo.

I decided to flash my phone to the original samsung OS to troubleshoot my LTE.

Also, it seems that the CSC codes has nothing to do with my trouble.

But, changin the build.prop in /system seems a promising way to solve my problem. Editing the file seems easier if your phone is rooted with the BuildProp Editor. (http://buildpropeditor.jrummyapps.com/)

Apparently, there is a way to edit this file without rooting your phone. (https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-edit-the-build-prop-file-in-Android-without-Rooting-it)

Somebody having experience with editing build.prop file?

@WearySky wrote:

I believe changing your CSC code will just switch you between carrier roms for the various carriers that this phone was made for.  So unfortunately, you'll be limited to only the four you mentioned above, and I'm pretty sure the network frequency support will be the same for all of them.

As far as I know there's no way to permanently force it to do keep the setting that you select in *#2263#... You could set up a contact in your address book with the phone number *#2263#, assign it to a quick dial key and just remember to do that every time you reboot your phone.  The other option that you may be able to do if you are tech-inclined is to flash the T-Mobile modem (for the SGH-M919) and that should do it for you.  Somebody in this thread on XDA reported success: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2266101

I don't think the modem flash is necessary here.  The phone does not have LTE disabled. 

@vdallaire wrote:

Hi @will13am.

With the *#2263# secret menu, I selected "Automatic" and now, the phone is switching automatically from LTE to 3G to receive and make call and switching back to LTE when phone call is over. However, when I reboot the phone, this setting is lost. How can I make sure that this "Automatic" setting is saved between reboots?

For the CSC codes I found a list here at http://samfirm.net/threads/info-samsung-csc-code-region-list-check.79/

ESK - Eastlink

GLW - Wind Mobile (Currently selected)

MCT - Mobilicity

VTR - Vidéotron.

How can I add TLS (Telus) on my phone? What are the potential benefits of switching CSC codes?

Again, I am not totally savvy with carrier phones like Samsung and what kind of hacking they do on base android.  On base android, there is a file build.prop in /system which includes various default settings.  These defaults can be overriden as you have done.  If you phone was rooted and you can edit the default settings, then you will not have to manually apply settings each time. 

As for CSC, from what I have read, that is the attribute to determining who will issue you over the air updates.  If you phone was registered as TLS as you want to do, then Telus will provide the rom update.  Of course the rom will include Telus specific modifications.

WearySky

I believe changing your CSC code will just switch you between carrier roms for the various carriers that this phone was made for.  So unfortunately, you'll be limited to only the four you mentioned above, and I'm pretty sure the network frequency support will be the same for all of them.

As far as I know there's no way to permanently force it to do keep the setting that you select in *#2263#... You could set up a contact in your address book with the phone number *#2263#, assign it to a quick dial key and just remember to do that every time you reboot your phone.  The other option that you may be able to do if you are tech-inclined is to flash the T-Mobile modem (for the SGH-M919) and that should do it for you.  Somebody in this thread on XDA reported success: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2266101

vdallaire

Hello @youbme,

That is exactly what I did. The only problem is this "Automatic" setting is not preserved between reboots. I'm searching a solution for that. I do not know if CSC codes has something to do with it.

WearySky

The specs you posted don't actually show any LTE support, the max it shows is HSPA+ .  I'm not sure how you were getting LTE on Videotron. (unless those specs are wrong)

On top of that, Videotron actually uses LTE band 4, the same as Telus.

Edit: I see that it's something specific to the software installed on the Videotron version.  Lame.  

youbme

EDIT:lt looks like you figured it out before I posted!! Smiley Very Happy

Hello @vdallaire,

I did a quick search and came up with the following thread:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/will-videotrons-s4-sgh-m919v-work-bells-network-once-unlocked-1478117...

"I called *#2263# and then selected [1] Automatic(*). Since doing that, the phone is in LTE mode and when I make or receive a call, the phone switches to 3G. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but that's where I'm at right now."

It seems like they went through a similar process as you did and managed to finally get it to automatically switch between LTE and 3G. Did you see that option when dialing *#2263#?

vdallaire

Hi @will13am.

With the *#2263# secret menu, I selected "Automatic" and now, the phone is switching automatically from LTE to 3G to receive and make call and switching back to LTE when phone call is over. However, when I reboot the phone, this setting is lost. How can I make sure that this "Automatic" setting is saved between reboots?

For the CSC codes I found a list here at http://samfirm.net/threads/info-samsung-csc-code-region-list-check.79/

ESK - Eastlink

GLW - Wind Mobile (Currently selected)

MCT - Mobilicity

VTR - Vidéotron.

How can I add TLS (Telus) on my phone? What are the potential benefits of switching CSC codes?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately, you cannot force the phone to stay on LTE only and get voice function to work.  Public Mobile does not have VoLTE.  I checked the CSC codes on xda and none of the codes you mentioned show up for Canada.  Strange...  Anyway, I am not familiar with carrier phones because I avoid them, but is there a limit to how many changes you can make on the CSC codes?  If not, cycle through all of them and see if there is one that allows you to select a LTE preferred mode for data so that you won't disable calling.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2330490

Need Help? Let's chat.