cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Trouble In The US

Manny_78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is on behalf of my brother-in-law.  He recently picked up the $34 50GB plan with US roaming included.  He landed in Florida today and he's had a hell of a time with his phone.  I have the same plan so figuring this out is important to me too since I travel to the US from time to time.

He has a Motorola phone it's got 5G.  He's tried restarting the phone, switching to use T-Mobile from AT&T and he said the data was really slow and has trouble sending and receiving texts and making and receiving phone calls.

I told him to try the sim card on another phone just in case so he can rule out the phone, does anyone here have any suggestions as to settings that need to be changed in this case.

Thanks everyone!

8 REPLIES 8

@Manny_78 wrote:

Yeah he tried all of that already, I'm waiting to hear back from him.  He told me data was working but phone calls an text not so much.  I tried calling him and he never heard the phone ring, but earlier in the trip he picked up my call.  I'm convinced it's a setting on his phone somewhere.

Unless his phone is volte enabled, he's going to be relying on 2G in US as they've shut down their 3G for calls...results are very unreliable talkability in US. What make/model is his phone...maybe he has to turn on Volte.

Boki
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Many customers fall for publicM US/Canada plan and discover it is very unreliable.

It would help if people read through this forum and many compliaing post before getting us add-on or uSA/Canada plan.

Manny_78

Yeah he tried all of that already, I'm waiting to hear back from him.  He told me data was working but phone calls an text not so much.  I tried calling him and he never heard the phone ring, but earlier in the trip he picked up my call.  I'm convinced it's a setting on his phone somewhere.

@Manny_78 wrote:

Sorry I should have also mentioned that his data works, it's texting and calling he's having issues with.

Do you know what make / model is his cellphone ? There's only a short list of cellphones that PM has turned VOLTE on.

Manny_78

Sorry I should have also mentioned that his data works, it's texting and calling he's having issues with.

Manny_78

I'll relay the information.  Thanks for your suggestion, hopefully that works.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Manny_78  Tell him to try phone set to 4G/LTE not 5G and connect to T mobile or AT&T and ensure he has data roaming turned on in phone settings and try 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Manny_78 

make sure Roaming Data is enabled in cellphone settings. Can he confirm if VOLTE is enabled in the phone...otherwise calls will be completed using 2G...poor reception as he gets further away from cell tower. If VOLTE is enabled by PM, it should provide clear calling. Text shouldn't be a problem eithrer way.

Need Help? Let's chat.