cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile versus K o o d o Mobile

OldTimer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am helping a friend select a budget $15 prepaid plan. As a current Public Mobile customer I recommended Public Mobile but after some investigation (May 21, 2024) I find that Public is not as competitive in this category of plans from when I first joined, in particular when now compared to K o o d o. Note: Public Mobile and K o o d o are both T e l u s.

Public Mobile $15 plan
- no data included
- 100 CW minutes outgoing calls, unlimited incoming, voice mail etc.
- unlimited text outgoing and incoming
- optional add on CW data 250MB @ $5 extra but also expires every 30 days

K o o d o $15 plan
- 250MB 3G data included monthly
- 100 CW minutes outgoing calls, unlimited incoming, voice mail etc.
- unlimited text outgoing and incoming
- optional add on CW data 1GB @ $30 which never expires and is only used when needed

Apart from the rewards program in Public Mobile, can anyone suggest why choose Public over K o o d o? It all comes down to "data" and this seems to be where Public is falling behind in this budget class of phone plans.

11 REPLIES 11

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@OldTimer 

Just be aware that the $19 4G 1GB plan can disappear at any time, so you may need to act promptly.

I have currently selected the same $19 plan to change on the next renewal.  But I have also been vacillating between the $19 plan and the $34 5G 50GB CAN-US plan which is about to disappear. Speed and big gobs of data are very addictive. My recent annoyance with PM is pushing me to the cheaper plan. I can live within the limits of the $19 plan and pay less money to PM for now.

OldTimer

funpig1 makes some good arguments, the switch up after first month is novel and I never saw that prospect. Also the rewards do make sense over the longer term and I can not fully predict that my friend will not get sucked into the data vortex, so having 1GB monthly is maybe not a bad consideration plus if I am the one helping out then I don't have to learn another providers online interface.

@OldTimer   I think I'm must be missing something, on the Koodo $15 plan I only see "Additional data $13/100 MB", it doesn't appear to qualify for the "pick your perk?  

JONMILLS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What people need to realize is Telus end game was never to offer budget plans

It was to lure people into a lower plan then raise the prices after getting enough people.

Its the old switch-a-roo, loss leader to get you to the bigger stuff.

Choose based on your needs and budget ( no matter who it is ) but don't ever think they are here to make your life easier lol

@OldTimer   Absolutely agree with your points.

IMO, it's a real shame that PM has done away their old $15 with 250MB data (my plan).  Since Koodo still offers roll over data and PM no longer does, for budget conscious and light users it's a better option, since PM really isn't in that space anymore.  Also since they've eliminated their legacy rewards, it's no longer very competitive in the budget plans, sadly.

Personally, I will probably be going to FM later this year for one of their annual plans.  Unfortunately, they may not work for all as their network is still a work in progress but should work well for those in/near larger centers.  Plus I know their service will work for me as I was once (many years ago) with them.

OldTimer

Thanks for the info, but as you point out everything resets in 30 days which is fine if you actually use 3GB of the data you get under that plan but if you barely use the 250MB each month then having an add on data pool that never expires seems like the long term saver.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@OldTimer 

If your friend has no need for any data and makes a lot of calls, the PM $15 plan is good.  It is great for a lot of seniors like my Dad who does not know how to use the internet.

If your friend needs a little bit of data, you could help him sign up a new $15 plan and then request a change of subscription upon next renewal for the $19 4G 1GB plan which is still currently available for current subscribers. With the points rewards (which take time to accumulate and apply), in 12 months, your friend's plan would effectively be $19 - 0.5% - (10 points/12 months) = $19 - $0.95 - $0.83 = $17.22.  Note that in the first year, your friend gets the $10 referral discount and every 12 months he will get 10 loyalty points. The price difference, unlimited minutes, much faster data speed compared to Koodo makes the price difference worthwhile, imo.  And your friend will have the opportunity to earn referral points and waste his time hanging out in the community to earn help points.  The new PM points system is not as good as the old legacy rewards system, but it is still better than anything offered by Koodo or other providers.

The $21 4g 3GB new activation plan is another option if your friend has greater mobile data needs. You could reduce that to $19 per month by committing to 90 day plans which would reduce your friend's cost to the above.  Some people don't want to be locked in with the 90 day contracts.  Deals are changing rapidly and people want to be able to change plans or providers without losing too much on an old plan. 

Good luck.  

hi @OldTimer there are always people with different needs.  So.e asked for voice only plan  before.  Some even asked how to make sure no data will be used, probably for little kids 

Telus had a plan with bonus data on the $15 plan, but your missed it

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@OldTimer    Koodo is the better deal currently from my point of view.  However, if your friend is willing to pay $6 more, then the $21 plan (or $19 with 90 day subscription) has 3GB and unlimited talk/text.

edited for correct cost per 30 days.

OldTimer

Everyone needs some data, I can't even get text messages from my kids who use Iphones unless my data is turned on, so who why would Public remove the 250MB data which works so well for such basic services?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @OldTimer 

PM has a new $15 plan now.  The $15 plan does not come with any data but unlimited voice call.  So, it is best for those who needs voice and no data.  

Need Help? Let's chat.