cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile carrier name too long

thighmaster69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a very serious issue with Public Mobile that may be a deal breaker. It's such a problem that I think I might switch to a carrier with $100 more a month because of it.

I am talking about the carrier name in the status bar.

It is so long and ugly that it is quite hard to bear. It is so long, in fact, that sometimes it doesn't even fit. Sometimes, you just get a "...". Public...

Public what? How am I supposed to know what the rest of my name is? My short-term memory can't handle it.

I would like this issue to be fixed. If this said PUBLIC or Public instead, it would be much less horrendous. You know, like every other carrier does (imagine if Telus used Telus Mobility in their carrier name!

IMG_0473.PNG

40 REPLIES 40

Joeyzhao

Mine is ok . Ip 6spIMG_1277.PNG

Samz2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well, if the rumours turn out to be true, it seems like the next iPhone may not have as much space for a carrier name in the status bar at all...

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/19/leaked-iphone-8-screen-protector/

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@texwood wrote:

Note:  in iOS 11 that was announced earlier this week, the bars will be returning instead of the circles.

Yeah, that should make it fit properly. I always hated the dots when they changed over. When I was still jailbreaking before iOS10, i would always use a tweak to get the bars back.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@thighmaster69 wrote:

IMG_0473.PNG

@thighmaster69

Your wish has been granted. Public Mobile has just changed their name to "Public..."

So now you should have no issue with the abbreviated carrier name on the status bar because now "Public..." in your status bar really means "Public..."

Smiley LOL

I liked the dots because they were different... but I didn't like the iPhone, and still don't.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@texwood wrote:

Note:  in iOS 11 that was announced earlier this week, the bars will be returning instead of the circles.

giphy

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

WearySky

I love that there are still people replying to this as if it's a serious thread. 😛

Nightcap
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
There is a way to gain some space on the precious top display. It's a simple modification to change the signal dots to signal level in db (decibels). Doing that, it will show a number insted of dots, so less space will be used.

The instructions could be found on Lifehacker.comm

http://lifehacker.com/5929546/see-the-actual-signal-strength-on-your-iphone-with-this-quick-tweak

Acekiller

lol, this is too funny!

texwood

Blame Jony Ive - iOS 6 and prior uses verical bars which displays the signal strength in the space of one or two dots.  iOS 7 changes the design to these dots that take up all that space for no practical reason.

If you look at Apple vs Samsung court documents, the initial OS design from Ive resembles the dots as shown in iOS 7; look and feel changes related to iOS 7 didn't get implemented until Scott Forstall got sacked (due to the Apple Maps fiasco) and Ive took over.

paulie

speaking of cheeky tongue's ....

My Windows Phone displays an "L" only ( I think for LTE).  When I swipe down from the top it then displays the full name "PublicMobile"  so a plus for Windows Phone !

And let me get this straight....  thighmaster69 wants a shorter name ?    🙂 

thighmaster69
I think pube is an excellent suggestion. Succinct, gets the point across and can't be mistaken for another carrier.

Vickel
Looks fine to me
Always see the full name unless the app doesn't use resolution

mikedolo
Lol lol dkm.

david_l

We should rename Pube for short. Anyone with me?

mikedolo
Lol. Agreed. Public alone would be just fine

@xCameron94x wrote:

they should all just buy an android, and skin it like iOs Smiley Wink

Have you ever used a Chinese rom?  They are all iOS copycats, no app drawer.

jt17g

for my iphone it works fine 

@srlawren wrote:

@thighmaster69 clearly the best solution is to light your iPhone on fire* and then dissolve the cremated remains in acid.  Then, go out and buy yourself an Android phone and live in much peace and happiness and enjoy the beatuiful, carrier-name free status bar you truly, truly deserve!

And if you really want to keep it but short, you can install custom ROM and have it as just PM 🙂

MK78

I dislike this too on my iPhone... However, this is partially Apple's fault too, because in the lock screen they have the fugly zoomed in status bar. When I used to jailbreak my iPhones in the past, there's a way to fix it with at tweak, and to change your carrier name or remove it completely. But the iOS10 jailbreaks have been weaksauce, so I haven't bothered.

@srlawren wrote:

@xCameron94x yeah been a loyal Nova Prime user for a few years now myself.  Highly recommended, though there are lots of great choices.

You geeks just sent me googling now... What have I gotten myself into?

(Yes, that's tongue in cheek as well, and I use "geek" as a compliment! I'm learning something new every time I stop by! Smiley Happy )

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@xCameron94x yeah been a loyal Nova Prime user for a few years now myself.  Highly recommended, though there are lots of great choices.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

when i had an android, i had nova prime. good thing its still attached too my google account!

srlawren

@xCameron94x not that I endorse ruining* a perfectly good Android phone, but that's the beauty of Android in that you could do that if you want.  Or skin it like, well, use your imagination and it's probably out there.

* I'm mostly being cheeky here, no actual disrepect is meant toward iFans.  They actually are very nice, just not for me personally.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

they should all just buy an android, and skin it like iOs Smiley Wink

srlawren

@xCameron94x why would anyone ever buy a not-bent iP.....ah I guess I better not.  😉  EDIT: #bendgate

@thighmaster69 thanks for the accepting my solution 😉

patiently waiting for my phone to die, so i can join the good said again. AKA android. I dont think anyone will want to buy a bent iphoneSmiley Very Happy

thighmaster69
Thanks, am buying acid right now

srlawren

@thighmaster69 clearly the best solution is to light your iPhone on fire* and then dissolve the cremated remains in acid.  Then, go out and buy yourself an Android phone and live in much peace and happiness and enjoy the beatuiful, carrier-name free status bar you truly, truly deserve!

EDIT: might I suggest a OnePlus 3T?  🙂  

EDIT EDIT: forgot the asterisk:  * don't really do this, please.  or, at least use safety goggles.  safety first.

Need Help? Let's chat.