cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Canada wide calling plan, my addon minutes got used up for a call to Alberta

alammoha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I called a 403 number and was prompted that I might be charged for it. I called anyway because I have the Canada wide plan. I'm in Ontario and was making a call to Alberta. I just checked my account today and it says that I've used up 11 minutes of my 200 minute long distance add-on which I only bought for calls to the US. Why is my addon being used for calls within Canada? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

@alammoha wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm on the new $40 for 4.5 data and Canada-wide calling plan. I got dinged for a call to Alberta (area code 403). I had to put a "1" before the number to complete the call. Last I checked, Alberta was part of Canada.

I have contacted the mods as will13am instructed.

The fact you have to put the "1" in front of numbers means nothing. If the "1" is already there then the system thinks that you already know it is a LD call, however if it is not there then you get the warning about "charges may apply". I get this all the time and don't worry about it, I don't have LD add-on and the LD calls always go through.

However like @will13am pointed out, actually using LD minutes when you have Canada Wide calling, that is the problem! The Mods will be able to sort it out for you, just be careful until they do. 

I would also ask for those minutes back!

alammoha
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm on the new $40 for 4.5 data and Canada-wide calling plan. I got dinged for a call to Alberta (area code 403). I had to put a "1" before the number to complete the call. Last I checked, Alberta was part of Canada.

I have contacted the mods as will13am instructed.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@alammoha, this behavior appears to be a result of account provisioning issues.  There is no reason for the minutes to come out of the add-on minutes.  I would consult with the moderator team to see if there is an account set up problem.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@alammoha  do other long distance numbers have the same effect on long distance?

silly question but you do have canada calling and not provincial correct?

did you dial 1 before the number?

Great minds....LOL

I never put the 1 in front of long distance numbers. It warns me that it is long distance and that charges "may" apply and then puts me through. I don't have any long distance add-on just  Canada Wide calling in my plan.

EDIT: Curious, does it not work this way for everyone?

This may depend on your dialer.  I use the google dialer which appends numbers in front automatically.  It will even do country codes if you give the app access to location data. 

@mimmo wrote:

@alammoha  do other long distance numbers have the same effect on long distance?

Great minds....LOL

I never put the 1 in front of long distance numbers. It warns me that it is long distance and that charges "may" apply and then puts me through. I don't have any long distance add-on just  Canada Wide calling in my plan.

EDIT: Curious, does it not work this way for everyone?

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@alammoha wrote:

I called a 403 number and was prompted that I might be charged for it. I called anyway because I have the Canada wide plan. I'm in Ontario and was making a call to Alberta. I just checked my account today and it says that I've used up 11 minutes of my 200 minute long distance add-on which I only bought for calls to the US. Why is my addon being used for calls within Canada? Thanks.

Can you post a screen shot of your payment history?

Have you made any other long distance calls within Canada? If so were you charged for it?

Confirm in your self serve account you are listed as having Canada Wide and not just Province wide.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Need Help? Let's chat.