cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to US Calling/Data

123JTL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I signed up for the recently released (released approx. May 2024) $34/month plan.

I had a question regarding the features of the plan, specifically the data and calling for USA.

The plan includes:

- 50 GB Data within Canada and the US at 5G speed

- Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited text and picture messaging

There was an asterisk besides each point which indicates there is fine print but there is no corresponding fine print on the same page.

My question is what does the "USA" mean in regards to the data and USA.  Does this mean I have free roaming of calling and data when in the USA?  So I wouldn't need to purchase any additional roaming packages?

Thank you in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10

123JTL

It is not well written, it does not state that the "Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes..." is available while physically in the USA.  A clearer bullet point should read as follows: 

- Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited text and picture messaging while in Canada and while visiting the USA

Stonechucker1

@123JTL , the description of the plan is well written already. You can understand it as it is unlimited both directions in both Canada and the majority of the USA. 

There are very specific area codes which actually cost more money to call long distance so public mobile protects you from not allowing you to dial those specific area codes. Those area codes I can't remember where they are located or what they are but they are generally used for let's say naughty calls

@123JTL wrote:

So I can call USA while in Canada?

I copied and pasted the plan feature exactly:

"Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited text and picture messaging"

To me, it appears that I can call USA numbers while in Canada.

Yes, you can.

123JTL

So I can call USA while in Canada?

I copied and pasted the plan feature exactly:

"Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited text and picture messaging"

To me, it appears that I can call USA numbers while in Canada.

@ArsalanSiddiqui wrote:

The long-distance calls from Canada to the US are not included in the rate plan.

The above isn't right. 

123JTL

Thank you for the clarification in your first paragraph. So you confirmed that as a Canadian with a Canadian phone number, I can use data/call to Canada and USA numbers when travelling/roaming in USA without additional fees.

Your second paragraph is confusing though. What did you mean that long distance calls from Canada to USA are not allowed? The plan states that you can call from Canada to USA without additional fees.

ArsalanSiddiqui

That is correct:

The Canada-US rate plans are made to allow the use of services in roaming, in the US. So, if you are in the US, you can call other US numbers and from the US to Canada.

The long-distance calls from Canada to the US are not included in the rate plan.

edited by computergeek541:  crossed out incorrect information

123JTL

Thank you both for the quick reply.  This plan seems too good to be true.  So you're telling me that I no longer need to purchase a USA roaming add-on?  I can freely travel to the USA without penalty and use my phone as if I was in Canada?

Also, with this plan, can I use my phone throughout all of Canada without any additional fees? *I'm based out of Ontario.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @123JTL 

I had this exact same plan when I went to the US a month back. I was able to call people in the US and even able to call back to Canada WHILE in the US. I also got calls from friends and family from Canada while in the US as well. I was even able to use data as I did a lot of FaceTime. Just make sure you turn on your data roaming and when you get to the US turn off automatic in Network Settings and choose T-Mobile and reboot your phone. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @123JTL 

the roaming service is included in the plan, no extra purchase required

you just need to make sure you have Mobile data roaming enbled and make sure you connected to T-Mobile or AT&T.  Sometimes you need to manually connect and test both of them to see which one works better.

Need Help? Let's chat.