cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed port from Wind

rbutoi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated a week ago, porting my number over from Wind using my account number in the process. Since then, I have not been able to receive any phone calls using my Public Mobile SIM and they still go to the Wind SIM. Texts also doesn't work, but data works. I called Wind and they told me no attempt to port the number has been made. Could I get this number ported properly please?

One thing that may have been the reason for the failed port: I ported the number from a Wind "family plan". The account is under my mother's name, which is (obviously) different then my name. I mentioned this during the porting process.

27 REPLIES 27

MarkHo
That's interesting I didn't know that. How would they know you have authority on transfer some other people's phone number. That's kind of unsecured and dangerous. That's only my opinion.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MarkHo wrote:

From what I understand, you can only port a number under your own name. It probably won't work if you are porting a phone number to you under your mom's name.

You can, just put in the account owners name as authoried user on the poritng screen.

I have done this for 2 lines

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@MarkHo you would enter your mother's name as the authorizing name in the port request in the scenario you mention.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
@MarkHo no that's incorrect. Many people here have ported under a different name.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MarkHo

From what I understand, you can only port a number under your own name. It probably won't work if you are porting a phone number to you under your mom's name.

Cassandradc1
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi rtutoi,

We are truly sorry for the delay.

We have replied to your private message.

Thank you.

rbutoi
As far as I can tell there's no way to port once one attempt has failed.

clavije
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@rbutoi hi why don't you try to port your number again , this time put the name on the bill and account number, plus number

srlawren
@Mana actually some carriers make finding an account number extremely difficult and require a call to them to obtain. Having ESN as an option is probably still needed.

rbutoi

Just to be clear, I did use my Wind account number, my issue seems to be the account name due to the family plan.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Yes, I see the link now but I think it still maybe causing some issues and needs to be further clarified.

For example, to avoid confusion and failed port attempts, I think the equipment number field should be removed. The reason is, in most cases, equipment number of a person device or imei number is not the same as what the carrier has in their record. But everyone has a account number that always work for porting purpose, so why just have account number field and not have equipment number or such other field that may not work when porting.

Also, I think pin number requirement should still be clarified. I think some carriers require the pin number to make any changes.

srlawren

@Mana did you look at what I linked?  They've already clarified that.  Either PIN or account number or ESN is required.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
If one of the mods are reading this, please consider implementing the "i" tag with at least all required fields and please clarify if the other carrier's pin is actually required? Thank you

srlawren

@Mana actually they have recently updated the form.  It does give more info, such as the fact that you need to enter ONE of the bolded fields (PIN, Account Number, ESN).  I think this addresses part of your concern.

I do like the "i" tag idea though.  

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Thanks.

I think it would be nice if we and the mods can figure out what caused this so that we can come up with simple instructions for everyone and eliminate all these porting issues.

For example, an info "i" can be placed next to all mandatory field explaining what is exactly required and giving an example.

Another confusion is around pin number, is the pin number or the other carrier needed to be entered or is it not necessary and should be avoided to cause any porting issues. I have read conflicting answers to this here.

srlawren

@rbutoi that could well be the issue, then.  The acceptance or rejection I believe is done by an automated system that wouldn't know how to read and interpret the comments. 

rbutoi
@Mana, I can't remember for sure which account name I put during porting, but where was a comment section where I clarified the family plan situation with my name and my mother's name.

srlawren

@Mana this part remains a mystery.  If he or she meant they entered their mother's name as the authorizing name, they did it right.  Could be any number of reasons [entered incorrect PIN, typo in account number, has overdue amount at past provider, name doesn't match exactly what's on the account, etc) but we need a moderator to help determine that.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
OK thanks. Then I wonder what @rbutoi did wrong.

It's not very clear from his post if he did enter his mother (the account holder at wind) name in the porting section or his/her own name.
Also, I am not sure how he/she mentioned account names being different in the porting request, is there a comment section?

srlawren

@Mana your own name.  The PM account holder name does not have to match what was at the previous provider, so long as that person is entered on the porting form.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Yes, I understand that in the porting from section, you should enter the account holder name at the other carrier. But should you create your PM account using the same person name or can you use your own name?

I think it is generally accepted that you leave the main account until the end.

as long as you check the authorization button, have the account number, and the phone number, it should work fine.

srlawren

@Mana the name entered as the authorizing name on the port form must be exactly what the other provider has on record.  So if it's a family account not under your name, use the name of the person whom the account is indeed under.

@Saray_O are you still online?  If so, would you be able to have a look at this for @rbutoi?

Mana
Mayor / Maire
To help everyone out in the same situation, what is the right thing to do when porting a number from a family or joint account from another carrier to PM under your own name?

If you use your own name to create the PM account but the other carrier has your mom, dad or something elses name as the account holder, would that cause porting issues such as this one? What is the right thing to do to avoid this issue?

mimmo

does wind not prorate the bills, like fido rogers bell etc..? if yes I woudln;t be worried.

PM will likley chage your billing cycle to when thr port is complete. (you might just need to remind them niceley)

rbutoi

I did PM the mods with full porting details including account number last week, I'm just posting here cause I see others were doing that too (to get more visibility I guess?) It still says the message is unread, so I have no feedback as to if I actually got into the mod response queue. And my monthly Wind service gets renewed in a day or two, I was hoping to be able to activate + port my number in about a week but it looks like this won't be the case.

I have a dual-SIM phone so I just use both for the time being, but I wasn't expecting to pay another month of Wind service 😕

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You need to PM one of the mods,

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-you-need-to-know-about-our-Communit...

to get help with completing the port.

Doessn't help getting the port completed faster but if you have a spare phone you can use it to receive calls/texts using your Wind SIM, and use the PM SIM in your main phone. Not an ideal soltion but you will still be able to receive calls while being able to take advantage of the far better LTE speeds for data while you wait.

Need Help? Let's chat.