cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know of any new Plan possibilities that might be coming along?

Al_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been pretty happy with PM for the past 5 years or so. But I currently have a 3G $25/mo 1GB data/mo account. To move to 4G would mean going to $37.50/mo. and getting 2GB/mo. of data, which I don't really need.

Bell offers 4G @ $30/mo, with 1GB/mo. data, which is pretty much exactly what I require.

I am tempted to leave, although I don't really like Bell and prefer PM.  Does PM make customer retention deals?

11 REPLIES 11

@l2xiong wrote:

My package is 55$/20G 4G network, which is awesome. Try this one.

@l2xiong 

a) This plan is not available anymore for new activations as well as plan changes as of October 4.

b) While it's a great deal (specially for prepaid), not everyone needs that amount of data and/or wants to spend that amount of money.... I'd even argue that the average Public Mobile customer is here because they want to spend as little as they can for the minimum of data they get away with.

As mentioned elsewhere, if you need lots of data and have a reasonable credit history there's a good chance that these days you are better off at a first or second tier carrier to take advantage of their perks ("unlimited" throttled after your data bucket is used up, VoLTE, WiFi calling, call control etc....)

l2xiong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My package is 55$/20G 4G network, which is awesome. Try this one.

Kramy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The "3G" plan is just a rate throttled 4G/LTE connection. Mine links up at 4G, but when I do a speedtest it's around 3mbit. That's fine. I never download apps over data, and could afford to wait 2 minutes if I had to - but since websites only send at 3-10mbit on average anyway, you're really not much slower than on full 4G. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference without a side by side comparison. I'm quite happy to stick with my cheaper "3G" plans.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Al_C , bell's $30/1GB plan will be $35 next year and $40 the year after that.  At least with Public Mobile, the price is super stable.  Since you have been a customer for 5 years, that means you could be earning $7 in rewards each renewal, making the plan only $18.  There is not equal out there.  Since your usage is all of 1GB over 30 days, the 4G speed plan is a waste of money.  You won't noticed any difference in performance.  If you were a heavy data user, I would say higher speed is worth considering.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Al_C 

Public Mobile just introduced the "4G" 2GB plan. Perhaps depending on interest if we enough customers choose that plan they may introduce a "4G" 1GB plan. But @softech brings up a good point with you reaching $5 in loyalty rewards along with the $2 autopay reward. That would give you the "4G" 2GB plan at $30.50 only $0.50 more than Bell's 1GB "4G" plan and no risk of any of those nasty overages.

Why don't you schedule a change plan on next renewal and give it whirl for 30 days? Alternatively if you want faster data speeds occasionally switch to 3G only in your settings and for the most part you will get up to 20+mbps but likely average 10 to 12mbps depending on network traffic.

@Al_C   All carriers are like this these days, all the goodies are for new activations only.  

The good thing is that PM does take care of existing customers by giving freebies in Decembers, Free long distances add-ons and data add-ons

They have been working hard on realigning 4G plans.  There have been quiet some changes since the launch of 4G.  i am not sure if they are done with the 4G plans yet or more to come, but stay tuned.

Of course, porting is easy, so, if Bell's plan really suits you , why not.  The only thing to consider is that, as I said before, is the amount of rewards dollars you have per month now. Once you left, you will loss them.  One day when you are back, you will be on the new Public Points, which are not as rewarding as the old one

Al_C

seems odd, they spend money to get new customers but are unwilling to do anything to save the ones they already have? things that make you go hmmm...

@Al_C   Changes are slow here.  But you can definitely open ticket with PM Support for suggestions, but honest, don't expect them to take quick action ... 

Al_C

is there a way for customers to make suggestions regarding such things to PM? to me this seems like a hole in the pricing matrix that should be filled...

Al_C

thanks for your input, interesting points...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Al_C   No, I don't think PM is making any retention offers now, and they won't beat other's offer

I believe you are on the old reward, if so, you are now getting $2 for autopay and $5 for loyalty.  So, there is at least a $7 /cycle saving over others, could be more if you have some Friend referrals and some Community rewards at least occasionally.   In terms of price, PM could still be slightly better.

not sure if you really need 4G, for me, I think more data would be more useful than 4G speed.   3G speed is still more then enough for most web browser, map navigation or so...  

Need Help? Let's chat.