cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Speeds not preforming. Help

NetworkNinjaOG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone in central Alberta having 5G issues? My phone is on 5G 20G plan, and I am only getting 43mbps DL and 10mbps up all times of day, tested on different towers and same result. Wtf ? I want a discount from PM for way less than advertised speeds. I understand that 250 is a pipe dream for perfect conditions. I would be satisfied with anything over 100 really....I'm in The telecom industry. My Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is network compatible.  I am in good coverage area. My phone is running One UI 6.

Any help would be Appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

NetworkNinjaOG

Thanks for your reply Will13am,

However resetting an APN (Access Point Name for those that dont know) actually has many benifits. I wold deem your response incorrect and invalid.  Access Points contain tower and network information.  Subscriber devices / phones should be automatically updating upon network changes. Think of the APN sort of like a wifi router in simple terms. It will have the BSSID (in this case PM / TELUS) and all the routing information through the various towers / locations.  If my phone had stale data and path that was old, or poor QoS info, resetting it updated the APN / networkingand BSSIDs, therefore allowing for proper data throughput. 

I am fully aware of the advertised speeds are maximums under perfect conditions with good a RSRQ, in city limits. However, you should be getting above 75/150mbs down, with good signal strength. And I was not seeing that. APN reset did fix my prohlem.

Resetting your APN settings can have a number of benefits, including:

• Fixing mobile data connectivity issues
  • Improving mobile data speeds
  • Resolving MMS messaging issues
  • Updating your APN settings to the latest configuration
  • Swapping SIM Cards.

Happy New Year PM Community!

Sources:
https://apn-mostly.com/how-to/reset-apn-settings-instantly-default-apn/#:~:text=Resetting%20your%20A...

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/reset-apn-settings/

https://textrapp.com/esim/blog/travel-tips/what-is-apn-setting

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NetworkNinjaOG wrote:

Thanks @Handy1 . I did reset my network. Didn't help. Reset my phone didn't help.

What actually worked for me was resetting the APN settings. Rebooted phone and now up to 178mbps. 25 up.

Cheers have a Merry Christmas.

That's all co-incdience.  APN setting don't chagne the speeds.  This was most likely a matter of where and when the connection the was being used.

If I got a wooden nickel for everytime I saw a recommendation to perform a network reset, APN change to improve connectivity and speed test results, I would be rich.  The advertised speed caps are maximums, not minimums.  I don't do speed tests because they are not informative.  Back when I had the unthrottled fall promo plan, on the rare occasions that I did speed tests, I rarely go better than 50 mbits/s.  This result only matter on a speed test and mean nothing as far as data usage was concerned.  There are also no accolades for registering high speed test results.  🤣

@Handy1 wrote:

@NetworkNinjaOG  Maybe try to reset network settings and try again making sure you have wifi turned off . You should definitely be getting better speeds then 100mbs 

There's no way to know that anyone should be getting speeds of more than 100Mbps unless using the service in exact same place at the same time.  Wireless internet connection speds fluctuate greatly.   Usually, the location and the number of people in the area using the service are determining factors.

@NetworkNinjaOG wrote:

Thanks @Handy1 . I did reset my network. Didn't help. Reset my phone didn't help.

What actually worked for me was resetting the APN settings. Rebooted phone and now up to 178mbps. 25 up.

That's all co-incdience.  APN setting don't chagne the speeds.  This was most likely a matter of where and when the connection the was being used.

@NetworkNinjaOG  Nice and thank you for sharing . So I can share with others that are experiencing same issue . And merry Christmas to you 

NetworkNinjaOG

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@NetworkNinjaOG  Maybe try to reset network settings and try again making sure you have wifi turned off . You should definitely be getting better speeds then 100mbs 

add PM is pre paid and no refunds . So if you’re not satisfied it’s best to port out couple days before your next renewal . To not lose money . Also note I’m just a customer like you trying to help 

Need Help? Let's chat.