cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Plan on a 4G Phone

NRatledge
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good day.

I have someone who is very interested in the current 5G 50gb Can/US data plan and was wondering if they can use this plan on a 4G capable phone?  Will they receive the deal?  thanks

N.

6 REPLIES 6

@NRatledge   Yes they can access the 50GB data in the US, in fact many people find it works best to set their 5G phones to 4G/LTE in the USA because 5G doesn't always work well depending on carrier.  If their phone is not on PM's VoLTE list and they do want to make phone calls they can either try and connect to 2G on T-Mobile (which is being phased out) or download a voip app like TextNow or Fongo and use that for phone calls with their data.  

PM's VoLTE approved list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

NRatledge

Ok this is good.  I guess essentially what I am trying to find out is that even though they have 4g max capability phone, will they be able to access the 50gb in the USA under this plan even though it was meant for 5g phones?

NRatledge

Ok, cool.  Its mainly for the data usage.  When we go to the States, they want to be able to use the allocated data vs roaming charges.  If this works no matter what phone they use, I'll share that, thanks!

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@NRatledge   Yes you can use a 5G plan on a 4G phone.  If they plan on using it in the USA it will work best for voice calls if the phone is VoLTE capable/enabled.  I have my  iPhone on a 5G plan and it is allowed to switch between 4G/LTE and 5G depending what I am doing and what the signal is and most of the time it chooses to stay on LTE.

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The 5G is really a speed rating.  You can connect with 4G.  My son has a 4G phone and is on a 5G plan.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@NRatledge 

Yes customers who have only 4G/ LTE compatible phones are able to get the 5G plans.   I am in the similar situation.  4G phone on 5G plan.  Works fine.  

Also, likely will get higher data speeds on the 5G plan versus 4G plan even with the LTE compatible phone.  

Need Help? Let's chat.