cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g service

cannonman55
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi is this 4g for talk and data im in the usa and purchased an add on but found out there is no 3g in the usa

11 REPLIES 11

cannonman55

Didn't work neither did my girlfriend and she has the 4g last time i get an adon ill buy a usa sim

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@cannonman55 

so why not to use in US to purchasing from Amazon this jethro mobile Prepaid USA Sim Card

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cannonman55 

I'm not sure what your network settings in the pixel 5 list if they have an auto connect setting that is 5G/4G/3G/2G (autoconnect).

You cannot use the 5G service in the US you can only use 4G LTE and with T-Mobile 2G as well.

For the service to function best you need to be on the auto connect so that when a voice call comes in or you try to make a voice call it will just automatically switch to 2G as long as you're in an area that has 2G network coverage.

This is the workaround because of the elimination of the 3G network in the US. But as of about 2 weeks ago some areas like near San Francisco in California it still had a 3g connection with T-Mobile as did Nebraska or Utah or something like that from another customer reporting that they could connect to make calls on the 3G Network in the US.

Check for your 2G network coverage in the map links in my post that was supplied by @softech .

a reminder, 3G plan does not mean you cannot use the LTE network

For roaming and local access in Canada, we can use both LTE and 3G network regardless of the plan, the plan you got only define the speed you will get on LTE network. 

Only that in US, there is no 3G network to connect to now, which affects the voice as voice can only travel via 3G network.  Luckily with US roaming, we can access voice via T-Mobile's 2G network.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27    I don't believe it matters what plan speed you are on as that's a separate service from roaming add-ons.

@cannonman55

Roaming will default to 4G if you are on the 4G plan. So Roaming on your phone will operate on 2G and 4G in the USA for you.

86607F10-2650-4C35-B80E-B3F4166303CE.jpeg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cannonman55   PM's voice service can only used on 3G network

But for roaming, PM uses T-Mobile's 2G network to deliver voice.    If you are in US, try to connect to T-Mobile network.  Your phone will automatically switch to 2G when you need voice service

for data only, you can in fact use T-Mobile's or AT&T's LTE network.  

(but if your roaming add-ons has voice component, then please try to connect to T-Mobile network, maybe use manual selection if automatic didn't work)

here are more information about the 3G shutdown situation for roaming in US by @darlicious 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

cannonman55

And that didn't come close to answering my question is the ne 4g service is it talk or just data with pm

cannonman55

I dont have 2g on my pixel 5 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cannonman55 

T-mobile works on 2G for talk in the USA.

You can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for talk and text through wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.