Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test | May 10

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices📢. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alert ready.ca.

- Public Mobile Team 

12 REPLIES 12

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korth wrote:

Because they must. The people/agencies responsible for spending your tax dollars have to occasionally demonstrate something "useful" if they want to get more of your tax dollars to spend.

That's exactly what's even happening with apps that used to be very simple and user friendly ----- Newly hired computes science graduates need to demonstrate their abilities in order to justify their salaries. Notice that even, what used to be simple shopping apps are now continuously upgrade with no other purpose but to clutter and dazzle us with graphics, colours adds etc. As one such example . check out the new KIJIJI phone app --- it used to be basic and simple to navigate and now it dazzles with options, colours, adds, etc. etc. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

OOOhhhhhh now I understand as to why my wife and daughter get alerts and I don't -- it's because they are on 4G while  I am still on the 3G network.

It seems like an entirely ineffective emergency/crisis/disaster alert system to me.

Because 911, E911, and other Emergency Calls work on every device, every network protocol, they don't even require you have active service or an active account. There's no reason an emergency alert system shouldn't operate the same way. Every phone and every device with every kind of network compatibility, with or without a working SIM card, regardless of any other status or conditions.

And because the only thing these alert announcements accomplish is convince more and more people to find ways of circumventing and disabling the annoying alerts. This is not like obsolete systems - annoying interruptions on broadcast radio and cable television programs, air raid sirens, etc - which simply happened and had to be endured (and informed/conditioned the population) without any advance notification or preamble.

Well - now it's just part of the many SPAM messages we have to endure. And as to why they are undermining the emergency messaging service -???-----just like the spacers, it's because they can.

Because they must. The people/agencies responsible for spending your tax dollars have to occasionally demonstrate something "useful" if they want to get more of your tax dollars to spend.

@computergeek541 wrote:.
Some customers will now lock their phones into the 3G network to avoid the alert sound.

There are other options to control your SMS handler. Although most customers automatically distrust any softwares or firmwares - let alone any mods or source they need to compile into executable packages - if these didn't come directly from one of the "trusted" OEMs or OEM app stores.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well - now it's just part of the many SPAM messages we have to endure. And as to why they are undermining the emergency messaging service -???-----just like the spacers,  it's because they can.

BEER

OOOhhhhhh now I understand as to why my wife and daughter get alerts and I don't -- it's because they are on 4G while  I am still on the 3G network.

BEER

Sure --- turn these alerts off as long as they don't affect you or your family - BUT don't complain if you didn't get an alert such as to evacuate because a nuclear power station near you had a melt down.

MC4L
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

turn these off 

Buffduff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

These tests are ridiculous, irritating and undermine the emergency alert system.

Remember when the Ontario Government used this system to tell everyone to “StAy HoMe, SaVe LiVeS!” and whatever other nonsense they decided to spew willy-nelly?

Yeah, that didn’t shake my confidence in my government at all.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I agree. Makes me feel like my civic duty is being conducted rather than intentionally avoiding it.

I'd rather acknowledgements and updates when larger scale problems arise. Like yesterday.

Same as it ever was.

@XionBunny wrote:

I appreciate the heads up, I won't get startled by it lol.

For the purposes of testing, I believe it may be better not to announce these tests but to then announce them after the fact. Some customers will now lock their phones into the 3G network to avoid the alert sound.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I appreciate the heads up, I won't get startled by it lol.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM  Thanks for the update 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.