cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Data incompatible with Blackberry 9900

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

A recent customer attempted without success to set up data even though the Blackberry was supplied by Orchard as a PM compatible phone.

I have since confirmed with Orchard text support that "OS 10 for Blackberry is not compatible for the Blackberry 9900". 

OS 10 IS REQUIRED FOR DATA SERVICE WITH PM so BB 9900 is out for PM's data service.

Even with data only available on wifi, many will be happy with it for calling and texting. I have friend using it on PM who cannot be enticed away.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c too true!  🙂  Great use for one.  

Actually, I had anold 9700 kicking around until a week ago when I gave it to a friend to trade into a Samsung Experience store for $200 off of a new S7.  Pretty good deal, considering the phone would be literally worthless were I to try to sell it.  I've still got a 9800 gathering dust in a drawer too, too bad I already got my OnePlus 3 or maybe I'd be getting myself one, too!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@kav2001c that's interesting, I didn't realize some data functionality would work. But thinking back (ugh, the pain!) to my BB5/6/7 days, a lot of apps did have a setting for data connection, where you could choose between BIS, WIFI, etc.  So the 3rd party apps probably have an option to go through stright data instead of the BIS.  Makes sense.

Thanks for all those details, hopefully they prove helpful to curious folks 🙂  But I definitely agree with your recommendation to upgrade to something from this decade at least!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

A legacy Blackberry device (non BB10, such as the Blackberry Bold) will partially function

They are an issue to setup though for the non techy 

As for limited functionality (you can decide if worth it)

BBM - no

Blackberry World - no

Email - no* (*you can force this through Telus by accessing the NOC then disconnecting and using WiFi, but lots of work, plus you require an active Telus SIM card. Rogers/Fido is WAY easier but then you can't bring back to Public so no help)

Phone / TXT / MMS - yes

3rd Party Apps - yes (BeWeather, Twitter, Slacker Radio etc)

Web Access - yes (but do you really want to? Browser is so old most sites won't work properly)

Built-in Blackberry Apps - yes

Really though at end of the day I see no reason to hold onto something this old

And if you insist on it, as I said above, Rogers/Fido is much easier to use then any of the Telus / Bell / Wind brands

srlawren

Thanks for the heads-up, @Luddite.  Yes anything older than a Z10/Q10 will not work for data, since PM does not operate a BIS server.

I believe the following models are compatible, though I could be missing some:

- Z10

- Q10

- Q5

- Leap

- Classic

- Passport

- Priv

- DTEK50

Here is a partial list of models that are incompatible with data services on PM:

- 99x0 (9900/9930) (Bold)

- 98x0 (Torch) 

- 97x0 (Bold)

- 95x0 (Storm)

- 83x0 (Curve)

- 81x0 (Pearl)

- many other models.  Basically anything running BBOS 7.1 and older.

Need Help? Let's chat.