cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Mail too complicated and I cannot view the numeric keyboard

Respublica
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got 2 messages today. Today is 2nd day after moving to Public Mobile. 

I was aksed to setup the Voice Mail. The menu is long and my hearing is not that good but I managed to set it up.

My  wife tried and get lost in the process and after a long time managed to set it up. Then I tried to listen to my voice mails. This is when I started to get into problem.

I am using LG G6, H873. Good phone. Except when I use the phone app, I the screen dimmed and I cannot see the numeric screen keyboard - to ;push 1-9. I have to hit a location where I think the numbers will be located. 

Of course this is NOT Public Mobile problem but somehow problem of Android settings or LG settings?

Any suggestion on what to do? (beside simplifying Public Mobile voice mail system)

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Respublica thanks for the update--though I have to say, I've never heard of any other phones that make it impossible to see the keypad during a call, regardless of OS version.  Sometimes you have to tap another button to bring up the dialpad, or tap your power button to turn the screen on, etc.  So your situation was really puzzling to me when I first saw this thread.

I'm glad Touch Assistant--whatever it is--resolved this for you.  I'm guessing it's a manufacturer-specific thing rather than a built-in Oreo feature, since I don't have that option (again, whatever it is) on my OnePlus 5T running Android Oreo 8.1.  I'm glad it fixed it for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Respublica

I want to report a new finding that completely solve the problem.

This screen dim problem when calling only happened after my LG G6 was upgarded to Android O (Oreo) about 2 months ago.

Everytime I call when needing to keyin those numerci button, I cannot view the keyboard, it is dimmed and I can only guess. Then I also cannot get back to use the phone after calling, cannot terminate the call.

Yesterday I got a better solution by activating "Touch Assistant". This is probably only available in Android Oreo and that explain why the problem happened after the upgrade.

Once I activated Touch Assistant, I get access to a clear numeric keyboard that I can easily touch and I can also terminate my calls easily. I tested several times by calling Public Mobile Voice Mail. I can nlow navigate easilty to control Vpice Mail. I call also businesses that have complicated process to get service and get through without losing control.

Thank you "Touch Assistant"!

You get Touch Assistant" by getting into SETTING, then serach for TOUCH. One of the result is TOUCH ASSISTANT.

For those who have similar problem, this feature is important.

Respublica

@srlawren

yes sir, this works fine with my phone. Now my Voice Mail is disabled. No more trouble in deleting mostly scammers messages 

Respublica

Thank you for the solution to kill Voice Mail. Will try. 

srlawren

@Respublica wrote:

I am also not a fan of voice mail. In fact I prefer NOT to have Voice Mail. In fact for 2 years, I subcrobed to a Wind Mobile plan that has no Voice Mail and am very happy not having to delete messages.

However nowadays, I cannot find a plan without Voice Mail.

I am not familiar with Fongo. Will check what it is and how to make use of it. 

@Respublica if you don't want people to ever be able to leave you a message, you could try this workaround:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Respublica

I am also not a fan of voice mail. In fact I prefer NOT to have Voice Mail. In fact for 2 years, I subcrobed to a Wind Mobile plan that has no Voice Mail and am very happy not having to delete messages.

However nowadays, I cannot find a plan without Voice Mail.

I am not familiar with Fongo. Will check what it is and how to make use of it. 

Respublica

Another solution that I found from Googling is to change the SCREEN TIMEOUT from xx seconds to let us say 3 minutes.  Go to setting, search for screen timeout, then change the time

Respublica

Another way to counter the screen dim is to tap the screen several times. The screen will brighten for a while

Shiniestknight
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I personally do not use the lg g6, but I believe that what's happening is that it's thinking you have the phone up to your ear, so it dims the svreen. Most Androids have a setting in the phone app to turn this off. 

popping

I don't like to use voicemail because the access is sequencial.  Instead of using the voicemail system provided by phone company.  I setup my phone to call forward my calls to Fongo number on my phone is busy, no answer or phone is off.  I use Fongo service to send me the voice message media file to my email inbox.  I can listen to my message in any sequence which I want.  I don't have to remember the function for each number for previous message or next message.  I call my voicemail system as poor man's visual voicemail. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Let me suggest an alternative.  This knowledge base article shows the voice mail menu map.  Instead of having to listen and then press buttons, you can just press buttons and navigate by menu map.  Of course there is also the option of putting it on speaker.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

cdgunder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I have a G4. It has a light sensor on the front face of the phone so it dims/turns off the screen when it's up to your face. I agree with one of the other community members - try turning it face down then face up or even try holding it against your face then removing it - that can activate the light sensor. 

One other idea - if there's something (like a case) covering the front face of the phone it might be affecting the light sensor.

I hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Respublica: As with most cell phone services...you can call your number and let it drop to voicemail and then press * (asterisk) to get into the voicemail system. I mean from any other phone if your cellphone is being a problem for you.

I've only experienced Telus landline and cellphone voicemail systems though and Public Mobile didn't seem much different to me. Perhaps obviously because PM belongs to Telus 🙂

I think there might be a way to reduce the verbosity as well.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Respublica

i have the LG Q6, the little sister of your G6.

i just tried it now, when the screen dims, turn the screen to downward facing, then turn it right side up. The screen brightens up when this happens.

Need Help? Let's chat.