Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer from Rogers

stdoll
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

I want to transfer number from Rogers.

Can I keep my number?

How many days in advance should I activate the SIM card for transfer?

11 REPLIES 11

angeliquem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stdoll wrote:

Hello!

Can I keep my number?

Just wanted to share my experience.

I wanted to move 4 numbers from Telus to Public Mobile.

I successfully transfered 3 numbers from Telus with the 1-step transfer (during activation of SIM card, you have the option to transfer your number right away by providing your number, Rogers account, etc.) This 1-step transfer cancelled those 3 Telus numbers the moment they became active on Public Mobile.

I tried the same with my last number and the transfer didn't work. My Telus number didn't get cancelled which indicated that the Public Mobile SIM I was trying to activate didn't work. This last number required me to buy a new Public Mobile SIM, activate on a NEW number, and after successful activation, transfer my Telus number through my self-serve account. The transfer apparently happened but I still didn't get my Telus number. It took a few days before everything was settled and I finally got my old Telus number.

To summarize, you can take your chances and hope the 1-step transfer works smoothly. If it doesn't work then you can do the two-step approach. Either way, you would have a working line from Rogers or Public Mobile and won't go serviceless.

If things go wrong, you can always reach out to the moderators through private message.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Disagree with my colleague; port-in after PM fully active: BE PREPARED

However, each to their own. Robot wink

Some do not even like Ralph! RalphRalph

When i signed up, I did my number port during activation.  But, I can understand the argument about taking a new number first. 

For potential new customers who are wondering, this is to avoid a strange problem that Public mobile sometimes has in which a phone number is activated but the service is never provisioned and doesn't start working.  This can happen even when taking a brand new number first, but in that case, at least your old phone number will still be working at the provider that you will soon be leaving.

If porting is initiated at time of activation and there is a problem where the port gets stuck and people experience not being able to receive calls or texts, the previous providers SIM is still working and can be used until it stops working.  I see it as activating a sim and porting later is just two transactions that could go wrong now instead of doing it all at once.

This is quite possible.  However, we don't have access to Public Mobile's internal statistics as to which error has a higher probablility.  It's possible for one issue to be far more likely than the other, the chances of each not being equal.

I personally don't believe in the taking a new number first thing either, and believe that if the problem is going to occur, it's going to happen regardless.   But, if Public does do the activation glitch and manages to actually full port your number but then doesn't properly activate your sim card, your phone number will then be in limbo and incoming calls won't ring anywhere.

When done right and there is no system glitch, both options yield success.  Since it is so easy to do a two step which at least will provide a running service even if the porting fails, I fail to see why people would not universally go the two step route.  If the self serve was super robust and there was mulligans allowed, I would advocate not wasting key strokes.  Such is not the case, so why not maximize the potential for at least partial success. 

@Luddite Instructed me on the port in procedure of new number first, full service active, port in after.

i had full service immediately, and port from then WIND, was finished in no more than 10 minutes.

i was also running two phones at the same time, to ensure I could verify the cancelation of the WIND account.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stdoll On another note. I had a incomplete port with a second number transferred from Rogers, but it was corrected once I reached out to the Public Mobile Moderators within a couple hours. The voice calling and texting was completed within 2 hours, but I could not receive calls which I only discovered the next day when trying to call into that number. Got some advice on the forum and contacted a Moderator and they were able to fix it quickly by resubmitting the port request.

Some others on the forum have had a more frustrating experience however. I am just sharing that mine went relatively smoothly.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile @stdoll

Was a smooth process for one number I transferred.

The second one took a little extra work like resubmitting the transfer by the moderator after activation.

The number transfer is quite quick. Technically it could take up to 24 hours, but in most instances it is completed within 2 hours. My first one was done within 2 hours and it was transferred within 2 hours with data, text messaging and voice calling and receving without any issues.

When they transfer, the suggestion is wait until your Rogers SIM loses its service before putting in the new Public Mobile SIM. 

If you are transferring, I don't think you need to activate it days before. Usually it's activate and transfer at the same time. Unless you want to get a new number from Public Mobile first and then initiate a transfer after. In that case I don't know what the recommendation is.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

When i signed up, I did my number port during activation.  But, I can understand the argument about taking a new number first. 

For potential new customers who are wondering, this is to avoid a strange problem that Public mobile sometimes has in which a phone number is activated but the service is never provisioned and doesn't start working.  This can happen even when taking a brand new number first, but in that case, at least your old phone number will still be working at the provider that you will soon be leaving.

If porting is initiated at time of activation and there is a problem where the port gets stuck and people experience not being able to receive calls or texts, the previous providers SIM is still working and can be used until it stops working.  I see it as activating a sim and porting later is just two transactions that could go wrong now instead of doing it all at once.

This is quite possible.  However, we don't have access to Public Mobile's internal statistics as to which error has a higher probablility.  It's possible for one issue to be far more likely than the other, the chances of each not being equal.

I personally don't believe in the taking a new number first thing either, and believe that if the problem is going to occur, it's going to happen regardless.   But, if Public does do the activation glitch and manages to actually full port your number but then doesn't properly activate your sim card, your phone number will then be in limbo and incoming calls won't ring anywhere.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Luddite wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@stdoll wrote:

Hello!

Can I keep my number?

Unless there is a specific reason for signing up now (example: an soon expiring promotion for new customers), I wouldn't activate Public Mobile's services until you need it.  Otherwise, you'd be paying for services at both providers during that time.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@stdoll wrote:

Hello!

Can I keep my number?

Yes you can keep your number.  You can activate and port your number over all at once if you like that is what I did from Rogers.  I have also done it with Koodo and Virgin.  Somepeople like to activate with a new number and then port over but I personally don't see an advantage of that.  Anyways Welcome to PM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.