cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service in Canada while roaming

Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had a week in the USA and bought a data pack that worked just great. I could receive a text but did not need or want to text back. No voice roaming was used or required. When I had returned to Canada  I got a call from my doctor that he was trying to leave me a message and did not get any message. Just ringing. Why did I not even have my Canadian mailbox working within Canadian from Canadian number while I was  roaming in the USA. You can’t be serious that this happens while roaming with a public mobile sim. Is this a software glitch? Or normal?

7 REPLIES 7

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

It seems to me that you’ve either have a full voicemail box, or you’ve seyup forwarding to to occur when not available to a wrong number.

By default, adding US Roaming data, should have nothing to do with voicemail.

JanP

OOPS I think I misread your original message.  Sorry

JanP

Perhaps buy a sim card in the US for whatever you need when you're there? - must be cheaper to do that than roaming. 

Mreekster

Here is the fact from an email from moderator:

Actually if you did not take the talk option on your add-on, I am afraid that you would be able to get any talk at all on the device thus no voicemail and this is how it works. In fact, without the roaming, there are no services once you leave Canada and services only resume when you come back to Canada.  

Never heard of losing service in Canada while roaming after buying an addon. Or is it called a suboff? It should clearly state loss of voicemail service when buying a data US addon 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am us roaming text is the only one known to cause that issue.  

@Mreekster that is definitely not the expected behaviour.  If you are in the USA and don't have a US Roaming Talk add-on, inbound calls should immediately forward to your voicemail.  Is it possible you modified one of your call forwarding settings on your phone?  Your "When busy", "when unanswered", and "when unreachable" numbers should all be set to your local voicemail access number.  If they are and this still happened, you may want to reach out to the moderator team for help.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mreekster, there have been reports in the past of customers having their regular service disrupted after using a roaming add-on in the US.  The problem usually clears itself after the add-on expires.  The moderator team can also clear the problem immediately.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

that is defiatly interesting. not sure if anyone here knows, but we can ask @CS_Agent for their thoughts.

Need Help? Let's chat.